Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2022, 08:40 AM   #1

Garage
rear heater leak.

Just noticed I have a coolant leak dripping from one of the rear heater lines. Of course we are slated to leave town tomorrow at noon and I don’t have time to tear anything apart and repair before our vacation. I know nothing about the rear heat system but I was hoping someone on here did. I’d like to get something to just block off the inlet and outlet to the rear heat (vice grips, etc) and stop the flow to the leaking area, but I wasn’t sure if there’s some kind of pump that assists coolant to and from the rear of the vehicle that I could possibly damage by blocking the line. Anyone confirm this cheat is ok or not ok to do? Any insight is appreciated!

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:42 AM   #2

Can't you pull the fuse or cut power to it somewhere/somehow ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #3

I have rear heat/AC but also haven't had to repair it so I have little knowledge.

That being said, I think for the heat portion it's just an extension of the usual cooling system. Since the engine water pump is a centrifugal pump there would be no harm with vice grips. I would visually confirm that it's just an extension of the engine cooling system......same as blocking off/bypassing the under dash heater core when they leak.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I have rear heat/AC but also haven't had to repair it so I have little knowledge.

That being said, I think for the heat portion it's just an extension of the usual cooling system. Since the engine water pump is a centrifugal pump there would be no harm with vice grips. I would visually confirm that it's just an extension of the engine cooling system......same as blocking off/bypassing the under dash heater core when they leak.
theses a T fitting near the water pump and an elbow on the back of the head (at least on the 7.3) pinching it off with some hose pinch plyers is no problem.
BW3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #5

QUESTION: I have a 2003 E350 Sportsmobile 4X4. 7.3
I have water (coolant) dripping from the passenger side of my van. It only drips when engine is warm and water is under pressure. I removed the inside covers for a better view but I can't see where the water is coming from. It seems to be in front of the starter. It's on the same side (passenger) as the heater. I need to remove a few covers to get a better view if it's the hearter.
Does anyone have thoughts as to how I can gain access and determine where the leaking?
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW3340 View Post
theses a T fitting near the water pump and an elbow on the back of the head (at least on the 7.3) pinching it off with some hose pinch plyers is no problem.
^^^ I have a 7.3 and tyvm! I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t an auxiliary pump for the rear heater that would burn up if I blocked the flow. Appreciate the input gents!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote