Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #11

Re: Rear pop open windows.

I replace my fixed rear windows with pop-outs several years ago. Here is a link to an old thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3943&hilit=window

I used a tube of butyl sealant, paste, and if flowed out to near zero thickness. So, if I was using tape, I would get the thinnest I could.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
Since you have a window van (I assume this becasue you have trims unless you have a SMB or something that someone put aftermarket trims on) if for some reason they dont latch good try it without the shim. The windows are either dark gray and those are a privacy glass or they are just a green tint but you can see through them easily. Many newer vans have the dark glass so if you are like me you want it to match. In the rear you can use limo tint if you want (really dark) but it makes it harder to drive sometimes. I am fussy and just want them to match. Just an FYI you will get fumes if you drive with them open. some speculate thats why they stopped offering them as an option. The other thing is the dealers have NO parts available for them anymore at least thats what I got at mine when I tried to get so e screws and parts for the one that needs them. I would love to find out what you get for sealer. Mike got some sealer at a body supply store when he did his.

...Jamie
My van is a cargo work van. I have the stock Ford plastic trim on
my side and rear doors. I also have the stock plastic trim the whole
length of the van and a headliner the whole length. I got all the trim
a piece at a time here and there at different wrecking yards. All the
trim pieces came out of extended window vans. I got and idea from a
guy about screens. He said to get some screen material and install it
between the door and the pop out window frame. Don't see why that
wouldn't work. Only down side would be cleaning the inside of the
windows.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #13

I'm assuming you have the entire pop out window assembly. (The glass + the frame the glass affixes to + latch.) A bead of butyl about 1/2 in wide all around the window opening. Thin-ish 1/2 in wide butyl tape would be convenient.

The plastic trim should be trimmed in order to make room for the latch base to screw onto the existing holes in the sheetmetal. Before you do this let me take some picts tomorrow to illustrate.

Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO
I got and idea from a
guy about screens. He said to get some screen material and install it
between the door and the pop out window frame. Don't see why that
wouldn't work. Only down side would be cleaning the inside of the
windows.
That is a brilliant idea! Wish I had thought of it when I did my windows.

Mike

Edit; How do you get the window latch to work through the screen? Well, it sounded good at first.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #15

Ideally, your rear door plastic trim should look like this below. Notice the recess in the plastic trim where the pop out latch would mount into the existing holes in the sheet metal.

And this is what it would look like for the side doors. Again, the holes already exist in the door's sheet metal.

If your plastic trim doesn't have the recess then you'd have to improvise and cut a big enough hole to be able to mount the pop out latch.

If you remembered to also grab the pop out latch block (screw plate) it looks like this below. Place it underneath the sheet metal then bend the tabs over to keep the latch block (screw plate) from falling down. If you didn't grab this piece then you'd have to improvise, maybe a 3/4in #6 sheet metal screw?

There are no shims from the vans I took the plastic trim and pop out windows from so I don't know how they figure into the picture.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
Attached Thumbnails
s-latch+block.jpg   s-reardoorstrim.jpg   s-sidedoorstrim.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
Ideally, your rear door plastic trim should look like this below. Notice the recess in the plastic trim where the pop out latch would mount into the existing holes in the sheet metal.

And this is what it would look like for the side doors. Again, the holes already exist in the door's sheet metal.

If your plastic trim doesn't have the recess then you'd have to improvise and cut a big enough hole to be able to mount the pop out latch.

If you remembered to also grab the pop out latch block (screw plate) it looks like this below. Place it underneath the sheet metal then bend the tabs over to keep the latch block (screw plate) from falling down. If you didn't grab this piece then you'd have to improvise, maybe a 3/4in #6 sheet metal screw?

There are no shims from the vans I took the plastic trim and pop out windows from so I don't know how they figure into the picture.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
Thanks Ray.
The window trim I have doesn't have the cut out like
the ones in your picture. Looks like I'll have to find
some like yours. Steve.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Edit; How do you get the window latch to work through the screen? Well, it sounded good at first.
I have screens, you just put them inside the door trim, put the door trim back and wallah! Small slit and some lazy thread cover the latch.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #18

Steve,

You may be in luck. Someone is dropping by tomorrow to take a look at the plastic trims. If he passes on them then I was going to put them up on the forum for what I paid for them. I also found some pop out windows today .. I'll put them up on the forum too. I'm certainly not out to make any money here .. it's the thrill of the hunt at the Pick-n-Pull to try to find these ever scarcer parts.

What I have are beige in color, what color are yours?

Ray
Old 09-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
Steve,

You may be in luck. Someone is dropping by tomorrow to take a look at the plastic trims. If he passes on them then I was going to put them up on the forum for what I paid for them. I also found some pop out windows today .. I'll put them up on the forum too. I'm certainly not out to make any money here .. it's the thrill of the hunt at the Pick-n-Pull to try to find these ever scarcer parts.

What I have are beige in color, what color are yours?

Ray
Thanks Ray.
I may hit the other Pick a part salvage yards we have here
in the valley tomorrow. The trim I have is the lighter gray
color. Steve.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #20

Don't forget to look at E150 conversion vans. They will often have pop-out windows and also door trims with shades.