Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

Rear pop open windows.

I found a pair of rear pop open windows this week and have a
couple questions. #1. What does a guy use to seal the window
into the door? I read somewhere here that someone used some
sort of sealant. I stopped by a glass shop today and the guy
there told me to use butyl tape. He said it comes in different
thickness but didn't know which one I needed. #2. I have the
plastic trim around my windows. Do I need to cut it out so that
the base of the window latch screws directly to the metal of the
door, or can I just drill the 3 holes and screw the latch base on
to of the plastic trim? Any knowledge in this area would really help.
Thnks, Steve.

BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #2

Re: Rear pop open windows.

You will have to remove and cut the trim and use the holes in the door, the angles are critical I hope you took the bottom screw plate out of the van that the windows came out of as you kind of need that to install them. I am not sure what size tape to use I have set to install but have never bought the sealer. I was looking for the dark tint ones but only found some green ones so far.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #3

I think the latches just screw in to your plastic trim. Do you have a passenger or cargo based van? My passenger van has the left side big pop out window (right behind driver's seat) and I've had it loose, I'm pretty sure the latch just screws in to the plastic trim.
Not sure about the butyl tape, great question. I will need to know this when Jamie (ultrasport) sends me some pop-out windows from his vast collection.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

Oh, oops, Jamie jumped in there while I was typing I guess. He should know, he's done it.

sorry
Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
You will have to remove and cut the trim and use the holes in the door, the angles are critical I hope you took the bottom screw plate out of the van that the windows came out of as you kind of need that to install them. I am not sure what size tape to use I have set to install but have never bought the sealer. I was looking for the dark tint ones but only found some green ones so far.

...Jamie
Hello Jamie.
Yes I did take the screw plate that clips into the door.
There is also a plastic shim that goes between the door
and the latch base. At least there was on these windows.
I will drill the holes in the trim and then use the plastic
shim as a template to mark my trim. Once I figure out
which butyl tape I need it should be a fairly easy job.
I'm not sure which tint the windows have. I may just
take them and have them tinted as dark as I can by
law. Steve.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Oh, oops, Jamie jumped in there while I was typing I guess. He should know, he's done it.

sorry
No I have only taken them apart. I have two green rear ones and a dark tint side one that needs a few parts.

So far the past few times I have gone shopping I have not even seen a van that did have them, but I am keeping you (me and a few others in mind) when I am looking.

The van I took them out of was a cargo so no door trims. My3kids new van that he bought from Brent had some that have been removed and they have a hole in the trim panel to reach the door. I do know they have spacers on the cargo vans so maybe they do not use that if they have the trim. But know matter what the screws thread into a plate that clips into the door and the screws thead into that.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

Since you have a window van (I assume this becasue you have trims unless you have a SMB or something that someone put aftermarket trims on) if for some reason they dont latch good try it without the shim. The windows are either dark gray and those are a privacy glass or they are just a green tint but you can see through them easily. Many newer vans have the dark glass so if you are like me you want it to match. In the rear you can use limo tint if you want (really dark) but it makes it harder to drive sometimes. I am fussy and just want them to match. Just an FYI you will get fumes if you drive with them open. some speculate thats why they stopped offering them as an option. The other thing is the dealers have NO parts available for them anymore at least thats what I got at mine when I tried to get so e screws and parts for the one that needs them. I would love to find out what you get for sealer. Mike got some sealer at a body supply store when he did his.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #8

Jamie, remember Bbasso, that sold his van? He did this too. I wonder if he's still around, he was a pretty knowledgable guy too. Where are you Bbasso?????
Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #9

I´m looking forward to see a lot of pictures of the installing process

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #10

I found a complete set of the dark pop out windows last year. (Turns out it was truly blind dumb luck as I've not been able to find another set.) After deciding I didn't want to install them I put them up on the forum. A guy from Santa Cruz came by for the rear set and I gave away the side one.

The installation is straightforward. Much easier on cargo vans as there is no plastic trim. On passenger vans you'd have to trim the plastic trim to gain access for mounting the latch and to secure the latch onto the door sheet metal. Both cargo and passenger vans have the holes in the sheet metal already.

I'll continue with the details after I drop my kids off to school and fight some fires at work. Random, errant bits are my life at work.

Ray
06 E350 RB
06 E350 Quigley V10
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote