Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #31

Garage
I have Blizzaks on SilVan, no studs. Works great on everything except wet ice. I'm towing a trailer to Pullman tomorrow, patches of ice and 15 degrees all the way. It might be a long trip...

Old 01-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #32

I just returned from a trip to the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks- first trip in the snow since converting to 4x4. Ive done this same trip in my SMB in 2wd with less snow - wow what a difference! I have 35" Toyo ATs and the rig stuck like Velcro even in 2wd on snow covered stone/dirt roads with ice underneath. Don't know if I'd ever need chains but will look into it. Better to have and not need than need and not have. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...1&d=1483533776
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5282.jpg  

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #33

Take a look at these Thule chains (Thule 12mm XG12 Pro Deluxe). They have the easy on/off characteristic like cable but have the durability of chains.

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-Deluxe-.../dp/B002LF7H08
Mer1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #34

Recommendation for good snow chains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtanddogfur View Post
Is anyone running actual winter tires on their rig?

I am contemplating it.

I saw this article on winter tires and I thought it was an interesting read. I wasn't aware there was so much "tech" built into winter tires. I assumed they were just basically beefed up mud/snow rated tires.

https://www.outsideonline.com/214416...inter-tires-do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #35

I run "real" snow/ice tires on my Honda Odyssey minivan (Blizzaks) and my Subaru Outback (Michelin X-Ice). On my old Isuzu Trooper 4WD I ran good AT tires, for comparison. The real snow tires sold nowadays are amazing and well worth the cost, unless you run studded snows, then they are kinda redundant. Our 2WD minivan (not the lightest vehicle at around 5,000 pounds) with Blizzaks does better in the snow than our Subaru AWD does with all-seasons. Performance on ice (all too common here in the NE) with the newer style tires is where they really shine.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #36

A good video

For those of us who are visual learners-

Let's Settle The Winter Tires VS. All-Wheel Drive Debate Forever
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtanddogfur View Post
Is anyone running actual winter tires on their rig?

I am contemplating it.
Just sold a set of Les Schwab studded snows that came off my Tacoma. Those things were like claws and could climb trees. I used the same type for years to make sure I could get up to the mountain for Ski Patrol duty.

The day I sold them, I rolled them up next to the BFG KO2's on the van, driven all year round. Except for the studs, the snows had nothin over the KO2s. I fact, I'd say the tread lugs on the KO2s are beefier. But so much quieter. One year, I had the studs pulled out and the snows were still much noisier than the KO2's.

I came home from work last night in 5-6 inches of new snow with ice in some patches underneath. Even with my 2WD, the van was steady and sure. At a certain incline it's going to fail, but I'm impressed so far with the tread's performance in snow. (Chains are always in the van for backup, tho).

Hope this helps your contemplation.

Studded snows:

KO2's:

Old 01-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #38

Based on a recommendation years ago from someone on this forum I picked up a set of diamond chains from TireChain.com is Where to Buy Tire Chains | Best Tire Chains that are sized for my tires.

Last time I used them I was running 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail grapplers, now I have 35x12.50x17 BFG KO2s
Old 01-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #39

2002 Quigley Ford smb here with Toyo MT 305/70r16 and Scc super z6 cables (supposed to be the slimmest cables) on the rear the cables are noisy as all hell above 15mph and also took a chunk out of the bottom rear side of the bushwhacker gender flares. Chains would surely destroy it.

I already have tire rubbing issues on tight turns in the front where the pinch weld begins. I don't think any cable is slim enough for my fronts. Would have to raise the fronts eventually. Maybe time for a RIPS kit all around for the 1" lift and better ride quality.

Anyone with a quigley and 32-33" tires have no clearance issues running snow cables in front ?
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Just sold a set of Les Schwab studded snows that came off my Tacoma. Those things were like claws and could climb trees. I used the same type for years to make sure I could get up to the mountain for Ski Patrol duty.

The day I sold them, I rolled them up next to the BFG KO2's on the van, driven all year round. Except for the studs, the snows had nothin over the KO2s. I fact, I'd say the tread lugs on the KO2s are beefier. But so much quieter. One year, I had the studs pulled out and the snows were still much noisier than the KO2's.

I came home from work last night in 5-6 inches of new snow with ice in some patches underneath. Even with my 2WD, the van was steady and sure. At a certain incline it's going to fail, but I'm impressed so far with the tread's performance in snow. (Chains are always in the van for backup, tho).

Hope this helps your contemplation.

Studded snows:

KO2's:

I too am extremely happy with the KO2s, and they are mountain/snow flake rated snow tires that work well for all season use.
While they meet the winter snow standards they don't perform as well as the best dedicated winter tires. But much better than most AT and MT tires on snow. Also we don't get prolonged periods of ice so studs aren't worth it here.
I'm in California so we are required to have chains in the vehicle even with four wheel drive and snow tires. I have never had to put them on. But I carry cables in the van because clearances to my fenders are tight and they are lighter and less bulky then full chains.
On my truck I carry standard ladder chains, I tow trailers often and in California that means you have to chain up even with 4x4.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote