Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #21

How do you maintain a safe speed going downhill in neutral? I was thinking that keeping the van in a low gear downhill would be the right thing to do since hitting the brakes on ice seems like it would send you sliding quickly. What do I know though? I'm from SoCal. I do need more practice on ice than I get on snowboard trips to get myself comfortable that I can handle anything I get myself into. So far so good on that count.

I have a friend originally from MN that now lives in CO and he never uses chains. 4x4 gets him through anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
How do you maintain a safe speed going downhill in neutral? I was thinking that keeping the van in a low gear downhill would be the right thing to do since hitting the brakes on ice seems like it would send you sliding quickly. What do I know though? I'm from SoCal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In my experience you are right about downhill. I'd leave it in gear going downhill so I can straighten the vehicle with throttle if needed. I was actually talking about coasting on relatively flat ground. On ice I keep my hand on the gearshift and shift in and out of gear a lot as things change.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage
^^^ Ain't that the truth. Some of my most scariest exits were on downhill trails in snow and ice. I have an LSD in the back and had a few surprises on downhill slopes trying to get out of the backcountry. I had to add throttle when the back end broke loose during one recent trip to keep from sliding off the cliff. Not a fun adventure

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #24

Giving it gas is the appropriate technique most of the time.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #25

Is anyone running actual winter tires on their rig?

I am contemplating it.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtanddogfur View Post
Is anyone running actual winter tires on their rig?

I am contemplating it.

No, but I have BFG KO2's and they do great in the snow. Last night when we got all that snow here in SLC I had absolutely no issues and even went up the canyon to Midway and back and lots of people were sliding off the road and all over the place and I was cruising very comfortably (and faster than everyone else) and never slid once. I don't think a dedicated snow tire would be much better than this tire as its snow rated unless you got a studded tire and that would be overkill for Utah I think. It has turned out to be a good all around/year round tire for us.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #27

Same here. Driving on ice and snow on BFG KO
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #28

Clarifying about putting in neutral - that would be used when attempting to come to a stop and the car just wants to keep on going. In gear and using all available gears going downhill is my norm with all my vehicles.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #29

In the past I have run Toyo M55 siped and studded for winter use. This year I switch to Wild Country XTX because they are snow tire rated without studs, which means I can use them more than 1 season.

Bother work great. The XTX actually surprised me on ice. Much better than expected. However the M55s are superior in deep/heavy mashed-potato snow.

In either case, Oregon and most western states still require chains when towing or over 10,000 pounds so if the signs are up, I chain up the van and trailer. The better stopping power is essential when stopping that much weight, and last I heard the fine was $550 if you get caught. I have seen state police pull over both commercial trucks and RVs who did not chain up.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #30

I've only had Bigly out once in the snow and that sum bitch weighs so much it just sticks to the road. I get it back from the shop Friday and we will discuss clearance for some chains. I need to have them in the bumper just in case.