Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #11

Re: Reflectix vs rigid foam for windows (winter camping)

What ever you use, be sure to remove it from ALL your windows before pulling into Hover Dam. Wife and i got pulled into the inspection area where we had to open the van for them to see what was in it.

LeadDoggy out

LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDoggy
What ever you use, be sure to remove it from ALL your windows before pulling into Hover Dam. Wife and i got pulled into the inspection area where we had to open the van for them to see what was in it.

LeadDoggy out
I know this is off topic, but I was told that you can't take fuel cans/bottles over the dam. Not sure if it's a fuel type/ammount issue. Anything said about that?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #13

Hi all:

Well, I'll have my answer tomorrow morning. This is the first night out with Reflectix cut for all the windows except the windshield, where I have a commercial reflectix-like sun shade. The light test is good: no signs of light anywhere except the windshield.

The aesthetic news is that because of the tinting on the windows (limo in the rear-most side windows, 35% in the rear door, middle and side door windows, and street-legal lighter on the driver/passenger doors), you really can't see the reflectix except in the driver/passenger doors.

As for the interior aesthetics, well, I spent a good chunk of today's 9 hour drive thinking about how to install window coverings with a liner of blackout cloth, thus saving the reflectix (which is bulky and awkward) for really cold nights. (Yes, a sewing machine is a power tool!). I"m leaning toward snaps on the fabric, and snaps on the plastic trim.

As for temps, currently 45*F outside, 60*F inside at 7:00pm. Overnight is supposed to dip to the high 20's. Wonder what my interior min-temp reading will be tomorrow morning? I have a four-season sleeping bag, so that's OK, but I am worried about freezing electronic stuff (computer, camera, GPS,....)

I'll report back with temp readings.

--GreyDawg
Old 12-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #14

OK, here's the report on using Reflectix in the windows of my passenger van.

I have Reflectix cut to fit all windows except the windshield, where I have a jumbo bubble windshield screen (doesn't fit all that well).

A cloud layer kept temps in the low 30s each night rather than in the 20s. In the morning, about 7:00am, the temp inside the van was 3-4 degrees warmer than outside.

I was more than snug in my sleeping bag, but I do worry about electronics (camera, GPS, computers, iPod) when the temp inside the van drops below freezing.

Next steps:

1. Make curtains/shades with "warm windows" liner. This, with the Reflectix when necessary, should improve inside temps by a couple of degrees.

2. Make/get a better fitting insulated windshield cover.

3. Make a cover or foam insert for the Fantastic Roof fan.

4. Make a rug to fit the exposed vinyl floor.

5. Make a insulated curtain to hang between the cab and body.

6. (This is the hard one!) Figure out how to remove the interior wall trim, and put in insulation. Same for the doors.

If I do all of this, will I be able to stay warm in the winter evenings, when I'm reading or working on the computer? And will I (and more importantly, my electronics) be able to stay warm overnight if the temps drop to the 20s or teens?

We'll see!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #15

I have several layers of insulation I use for my windows.

The first is the bubble wrap Reflective material cut to size. Small, light, good fit.

The next is the day/night shades, which also help to keep to Reflective in place.

On top of that, I have snap on curtains. They serve to act as lighting blackout and, happily, as an extra layer of insulation. There is a noticeable difference in temperature when I don't have them on. Where I notice it the most is across the back doors (it's one large curtain covering both doors) where it helps deflect the cold draft away from the bed (I sleep lengthwise in a rear bed with my head typically toward the rear doors.)

The curtains were not original with my SMB but I had SMB make them for me after the fact. They supplied me with a bunch of snaps that I applied on the curtains and around the windows, as needed. When I don't have the curtains in place, I have nice cloth covered snap covers that match my interior. These were also supplied by SMB.

I'm very happy with this setup.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #16

I used aluminum tape to create the windshield out of my reflectix rolls, however you can buy it in large sheets (4x8 at least) which the previous owner cut as under carpet (not good as weight pops the bubbles and it becomes a fancy sheet of plastic).

I'd like to try spray adhesive and fabric on the reflectix, going back to your initial question I don't think it would affect it since you're trying to keep warm so the reflective surface doesn't matter and even so any effect would be cut by the tint before it ever gets to the reflectix.