Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #11

Same issue

We plan to pick up our van at SMB-Austin February-ish and stay down south for a while.

MA used to allow insurance companies to pick-up your plates and mail them to you, but I don't think that works anymore. If you have other family members or friends who are willing, they might be able to pick up plates for you. Not sure of the current rules, esp. with Covid.

MA only cares about where the vehicle is 'garaged', not where you live.

Depending how long you plan to travel, one option is to register in a state like Montana (no sales tax) and then register in MA 8-12 months later when you won't have to pay sales tax. (It used to be if you register a vehicle in MA that's more than 6 months old you don't owe the sales tax.). AFAIK, this is all totally legal.

We're still looking at options...

joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
Good Lord 8.5% on a SMB is a lot of coin
It's a full 10% where I live, King County in WA State. It's outrageous. I put off purchasing some things because the tax is so high.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
It's a full 10% where I live, King County in WA State. It's outrageous. I put off purchasing some things because the tax is so high.
That is what normal people do. Rich people find a creative way to avoid paying taxes. Everyone with a bunch of luxury cars seem to have MT plates. Never talk politics with those folks BTW.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #14

I bought a California registered van 2 years ago.

The local Cali DMV sold me a no time limit trip permit. One way.

The day I left Cali I wrote the date on it with my departure address and my destination address. I drove 2500 miles. It expired when I arrived home.

It was the only paperwork I filed except for a California bill of sale. No tax on my part. No transfer paperwork either.

Cost $20.

Dig around the web and see if it will work for you.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #15

Garage
I picked up our van last March at SMB West. I had to pay the CA 7.5% sales tax to get out of the door. We had a temporary CA registration. Arizona requires a vehicle to be registered in the state within 15 days of arrival for AZ residents based on the purchase date of the vehicle. When I went for title and registration, the bill of sale that I had did not demonstrate that the CA sales tax had been paid at the time of purchase. I had to pay an additional 5.6% to the state of AZ. Apparently, California doesn’t pay AZ any of the tax it collects from out of state buyers. I was not a happy “camper.”

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:09 PM   #16

I'd tell you how simple and cheap it was for me but it would only guarantee you loose several nights sleep and then even more people would move here. CA weather and scenery is off the hook without debate but the rest of it is a deal breaker.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #17

That’s insane that SMB charged you CA tax. If anything they only should have charged it on the upfit, not on the vehicle. The DMV calculates the tax in CA based on the zip code of registration, so what would they have put down as your zip code? That makes very little sense to me.

I would calm them and ask for a refund if they were paying that tax to the DMV. If it’s sales tax on their services, well that’s different.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
That’s insane that SMB charged you CA tax. If anything they only should have charged it on the upfit, not on the vehicle. The DMV calculates the tax in CA based on the zip code of registration, so what would they have put down as your zip code? That makes very little sense to me.

I would calm them and ask for a refund if they were paying that tax to the DMV. If it’s sales tax on their services, well that’s different.

This is why SMB-W used to offer out of state delivery for non-CA residents, so they wouldn't have to pay CA tax. You would have to pay for out of state delivery though (typically Reno, NV I tink).

Herb
Old 01-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #19

Garage
Although I paid for my Transit prior to beginning of the build, technically SMB West purchased it from another dealer and shipped it from Quigley to Fresno. The stickler is that CA charged tax on the cost of the entire build (SMB + Transit). Don’t get me started ...
We are very happy with the van, but not so happy about the extra $5500 dollars from the state of AZ.
I considered taking delivery in Reno, but it meant I had to do the walk through in Fresno, make my own way to Reno (since it was “verboten” for me to ride with the driver from Fresno to Reno-300 miles). Then drive from Reno to Phoenix (700 miles). The Nevada DMV tax is 4.6%; Arizona is 5.9%. I would have saved some money, but still would have had to pay again in AZ (just not so much); Not to mention having someone drive my new van to Reno. The cost to transport from SMB Fresno to SMB Reno was $600.

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #20

Mass registration

I live in mass and have a 2013 SMB that I bought in Nevada 3 years ago
I had my insurance company handle getting the plates and paying the excise tax
They are online direct with Mass Registry of Motor Vehicles
I paid with 2 checks
One for the insurance and the second made out to the registry of motor vehicles.
So I got the plates and flew out to nevada
When I returned to mass I went and got the inspection sticker
The registration says I have a Ford E350 econoline van so the stickers issue was that in Mass the vehicle has to be GVW 10,000 to have 4” lift
The sticker SMB put on the drivers door allowed me to carry 10,350 so I could get sticker
I have on board air and watch tire pressure all the time
If you don’t have 4” lift it’s even easier but I have a high top with heat/AC that brings my total height to exactly 10’ so have to get inspection sticker at place that has high enough door
We’ve been to glacier Maine north woods badlands Yellowstone BC Tetons and also runs great on beaches at race point.....
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration out of state