Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2020, 05:25 AM   #1

Garage
Remote starter switch

While checking my new SMB for oil leaks, I found a remote starter switch cable tied to the frame underneath the passenger door. I have been trying to figure the reason for the switch. Why would you put a remote starter switch underneath the van? When would you need a remote hard-wired starter switch?

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #2

Does this switch actually start the van? Or does it disable a remote-start system?

All remote start systems are supposed to be installed with a disable switch for service reasons, so somebody doesn't start the rig while a mechanic's hands are under the hood.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:09 AM   #3

Garage
It starts the van.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:18 AM   #4

Garage
Is it “installed” permanently or attached with alligator style clips? It might have been left there by a shop trying to diagnose something and then forgot about once the issue was located. Kinda like leaving tools in the engine bay.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:24 AM   #5

It’s so you can start the van from outside when you are in the middle of a shoot-out and crouching behind the van for cover. Hit the button, lay down covering fire, dive into the van from the passenger side and drive away.

I could be wrong, though. I just finished the latest Jack Reacher novel last night and that’s what he would have done....

[emoji41]
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #6

Garage
^^^^^Enjoyed that!^^^^^
Old 03-05-2020, 04:06 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
It’s so you can start the van from outside when you are in the middle of a shoot-out and crouching behind the van for cover. Hit the button, lay down covering fire, dive into the van from the passenger side and drive away.

I could be wrong, though. I just finished the latest Jack Reacher novel last night and that’s what he would have done....

[emoji41]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
^^^^^Enjoyed that!^^^^^
Me too----quite the imagination I'd say!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:09 AM   #8

Garage
The problem is that I am no Jack Reacher...but if this is a Jack Reacher van then it’s value just sky rocketed. What other Jack Reacher gadgets should I be looking for on the van?
Old 03-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #9

Joking aside, I'm with CarringB on this one: likely a temporary switch that a mechanic put on so the van could be cranked when up on a lift. Weird that it would be zip-tied or whatever, though. If your van has a "real" remote starter installed, there should be a warning sticker under the hood. Also, in the van that I had a remote starter on, pressing the "lock" button quickly three times would start the van.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Remote starter switch

Can we have a photo of this switch....usually remote starters are mounted up under hood or like mine, part of the alarm system mounted under hood.
Remote starts are nice to have when in colder climates to warm up the engine, especially on diesels, mine has the capability of setting a time delay to start for the glow plugs to do their thing before cranking.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote