Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Sam

Repair Help Requested

I'm looking for some help in case UPS doesn't come through for me. I purchased a set of swivel seat bases for my 2005 Chevy Quigley 4X4. These were no easy task to get my hands on!

UPS delivered them to the house when I was at work. After I returned home, I opened the boxes only to find that one of them were bent in the corner where the seat bolts on to the base. This was no easy task to bent it. The material is 1/8"-3/16" steel (See the pictures under my gallery).

My concern is that I might not be able to get a replacement & if that is the case, I'm looking for some ideas on how to straighten this out without heating it. So, how about some ideas from the group!

One other thing I'm considering doing is to have/make my rear sofa seat slide on seat tracks. The tracks I'm considering using is like what you would find in a commercial jet liner. Any ideas on how to fabricate the release pins to get it to side. I see Mercedes has something like that in their Westfalia camper. They don't import that camper into the country. Any suggestions on these two subjects would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sam

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #2

I'm not sure how you want it to slide, but maybe look into pickup truck bench seat brackets?

On the metal the easiest way is probably to put it in a big vice and crank it down to flatten. Once it's close you can leave just the corner in and try to overbend just a little (using the plate a lever).

You could also make an oversize steel plate for the top and sandwich the bent plate with grade 8 hardware and washers. Same idea as the vice, squeezing it straight.

Depending on the bend you could mount the seat (provided the bend is down and you can get a bolt through) and not try to bend the plate, just tighten so the seat doesn't tip. Alternatively you could cut the bend if it's around the hole so it's a partial hole to put the bolt through- both of which are temporary measures, although I've been known to drive around with less than 3 bolts holding my seat.

If you're going to unbend, basically you need leverage, bigger the better as you have more control. Otherwise if it will fit the seat you could put in in temporarily as is or with slight modification.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #3

What Jage said is a good way to fix your swivel seat Sam. Another way, though probably not as good, is to get a large cresent wrench and adjust it down real small so it just fits on the vertical bent part. You then have a lever where you can (hopefully) bent it back straight. Then you can always hold a large chunk of steel (anvil, sledge hammer, etc.) on the bottom of the bent plate and whale away on the top with hammer. Not the best method, but it will work - depending on how straight it has to be. Ear plugs and gloves are not a bad idea here....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Sam

Thanks Jage & Scatter for the advice! I decided to take it to a machine shop down the road from me. They have a hydraulic brake & press. The way this was bent, you' have to take & straighten it a little from the top & then the side. The pictures didn't do it justice.

Hopefully, all will turn out well in the end. I knew that I could count on you guys for some good suggestions.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote