Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #1

Replacement/auxiliary fuel tank

I. know there has been previous posts on fuel capacity but nothing recent. We are considering buying a Quigley SMB but want greater fuel capacity. Transfer Flow does not sell their 46 gallon tank to anyone but QuadVan or SMB West. Aerotank does not provide a replacement or auxiliary tank for a Ford E350 EB either.

With the spare mounted on the rear there should be plenty of room for an extra tank. Does anyone know of a source in the Midwest for a replacement fuel tank or for an extra fuel tank.

Thanks in advance.

Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Replacement/auxiliary fuel tank

Will SMB ship you the tank or is that too costly? Maybe one of these would work.

http://www.nationwidewholesaledirect.co ... tanks.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

I believe the fuel tank from a cutaway van will bolt up behind the rear end of a EB van with no modifications.
Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerfish
I believe the fuel tank from a cutaway van will bolt up behind the rear end of a EB van with no modifications.
There is a chassis cross member that you need to flip or remove to make the tank fit. But yes, I have read about people using the cutaway tank as an aux tank in an extended van.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #5

Yup. As mentioned, you can use the rear 35 gallon tank by flipping a crossmember, and adding the support hardware. A 55 gallon will fit by moving the crossmember way back. The newest cutaways have a 40 gal rear tank. I don't know if it fits as well as the 35 gallon. Stick with the same year donor chassis, because Ford has periodically changed tank opening and fuel line fittings over the years. Beware of inner paint de-lamination problems on the metal tanks. Eventually Ford switched over to all Poly tanks, but I'm not sure when.

Beware of rear axle weight issues, especially with stock size tires. Even with upgraded tires I wouldn't do it on a semi-float axle, so do that upgrade first if it doesn't already have a full-float.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #6

I don't know where you'd mount it but i thought these were pretty clever:

http://www.transferflow.com/generator_tank.html
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #7

Hi all. Thanks for the feedback. I did check with SMB West but they no longer sell their 46 gal. tank to Quigley. I will check out the van cutaway option. We can always fall back on the jerrican option.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #8

Did you check with QuadVan? I have seen a Quigley on their rack getting some upgrades.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #9

I called AeroTanks a while ago and although they don't have a replacement they said they could build and install a tank for me. Cost was around $1000 installed.

Edit, sorry you said Midwest... Although SoCal would be a nice road trip! Another option would be to try and look at some local fabricators or racers and see if they can build you one.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #10

I spent a little time at NW Quadvan this morning. They had a van on the rack with one of the 46 gallon Transferflow systems on it. It was nice to walk around under the van and check out the setup. As soon as I can come up with the estimated cost of $2200 I will have NW Quadvan install one for me. The entire one piece tank lives in front of the rear axle. It does hang down to about the same height as the transfer case. The bottom of the tank is made of extra thick plating for additional protection.

It's sure nice to have this type of a company as a local resource.

John told me the back story about the 46 gallon Transfer Flow tank. He even took me out to the back yard to show me the original mock up unit they built and gave to transfer flow to have them duplicate.

For me to get this tank to work in my '92 I'll need to upgrade to the newer style of fuel pump. Not a problem. John also told me the smart thing to do when you install one of these systems since the fuel pump lives in the tank is to cut an access hole in the floor of your van. This allows you to do repairs to the fuel pump when you're somewhere pulling the tank isn't possible. The access hole is a relatively simple thing to do. Have a junk yard cut out a piece of van floor from the back of some donor van. Measure and cut a smaller access hole in your van. Trim the donor piece to meet your needs and then screw it down.

Improving the range of my van to up over 400 miles will be great. Topping it off at somewhere over $150 not so great.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote