Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

resale in mind when doing design

I was doing my usual snooping around in the classified section and noticed what I thought was a kind of appealing post and someone chimed in that they found it hard to believe that it hadn't sold yet. I am not in the market, just snooping but I could see several reasons why I thought it hadn't sold.We have a veritable cornacopia of designs here on the forums and each little snowflake has it's own merits and limitations. Without causing too big a ruckus,what do you think are must haves for quick resale?

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #2

Re: resale in mind when doing design

I will start.Remeber this is for a qiucker resale.If you wait long enough and have a fair price then almost anything will sell eventually. Sleeping ability for people of all sizes.I am only 5'8" but would build with taller people in mind.I like the less claustraphobic open plans like the EB 43 if penthouse,but do lean toward the EB 81 if building a fixed top.2 Burner stove and propane system,Catalitic heater but done with a cabinet space for later up fit for force air heater. at least a 4 cf fridge.Pre wired 4 solar and good sized battery bank,roof vent and later roof AC if hard top.Probably a generator to have it included in loan which has the advantage of tax right off.Water system with heater and grey water tank.Bathroom area with at least a porta potti or toilet with at least a 15 gallon black tank.Not just a place to haul out the potti and squat in the hallway.A simple curtain to separate from living area and privacy.My personal preference is at the back so it could double as storage space.Basically a rig that appeals to tenderfoots (such as myself) and women bearing in mind that it will be compared to Roadtreks,Pleasureways etc....
Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #3

Garage

Resale is an interesting concept. The number 1 thing for resale in my mind is - use Sportsmobile, not do-it-yourself or local conversion. If it doesn't have a brand name, resale is non-existant.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Almost impossible to answer because the designs vary so much. After all, the model is usually the key factor in buying a used SMB. Sprinter vs E-series, EB vs RB, walk through vs a 50 type model. During my build SMB told me more E-series design builds change from the walk through models to the 50 model after people see both in person. Seems somebody around here made the claim that the 50 is the best model but it must be a green van
Just as a guess I'd say for an E-series the best re-seller would be:
RB-50 SMB 4x4, with a V-10 that has low mileage in a neutral type color (white, or light brown colors) outfitted in a standard package with pre-wire solar and an electric top would sell quickly provided it's priced low enough.
The standard package usually has a PH bed, sink, water tank, Propane stove/heat, small refrigerator, PP, 220AH battery, microwave and inverter.
If I were doing a walk through, the same package as above in an EB is probably the more desired setup.
Of course everybody has their own wants and that's why each is unique in its own way.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Exactly why I bought a 50 floor plan on a Ford chasis. I considered a Chevy Quigley and really liked the power of the Chevy 6.0 gas over the V10, but in the end resale played a part in my decision to go Ford. Seems like the Chevy's are harder to sell. I've noticed a couple lately that have been for sale for some time.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

I don't think it's features per se, it's price.

I've bought and sold lots of vehicles and it's my experience that sellers overvalue customization, whether it be add-ons, aftermarket goodies, etc. You take a bath on those in many cases, if not most. Some SMBs have lots of add-ons that the builder remembers paying extra for, so they account for that in selling price. But the buyers may not give a rats patootie about that extra.

So things above and beyond the basics, eg fancy AV stuff, high zoot electronics, trick bumpers, and so on may not add as much to the price as you think.

But as noted, it's all about the price.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #7

"High zoot " that's a hoot. I guess as in zoot suit. I'm a musician and if music is good I can listen on a cell phone speaker. Lots of people need high end sound systems. When I talk about resale I am refering to competing with other van campers.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
When I talk about resale I am refering to competing with other van campers.
Of different companies?
Like I posted, there are different crowds; Sprinter groups, 2wd and 4wd folks. But the concept is the same, not counting cost or mileage, a standard layout is more likely to sell over a under or over built van and (at least back in 05-08) SMB claimed the 50 model sold more than any others. It might be different today.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote