Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #11

That Hymer reminds me of the Thor Majestic 19G. Its a special build for Cruise America.

Best part is, you can buy one for under $30,000.

Cruise America: Thor Majestic 19G

Old 02-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
That Hymer reminds me of the Thor Majestic 19G.
The tall roofed SMB cutaway (if they actually build it) will be closer to the Hymer in that there will not be an over cab bunk and the sides will flare only 2" at the bottom, not the almost one foot on the Thor. SMB wants to be just wide enough for a sideways bed without losing the ability to go through narrow off road passages.

Brian did not sound as confident about this vehicle when I heard from him this week as he did when I saw him last week. I will be at the factory in Fresno again this coming week and will try to get more pics of the Classics under construction.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #13

Great Tom...I certainly hope they do go ahead with production of the Classic! Didn't mean to sound so negative in my post, but it really does look like Sprinter Central in there.
Poptopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #14

I was just there and it was. SPrinters were everywhere. There were probably half a dozen Econolines and a Chevy in there. 40+ Sprinters I would say. They don't even have an Econoline in the showroom any more aside from the Red SAR vehicle back in the corner that was a prototype for Saudi.

I got to see the prototype raw Classic and the Silver finished one was on the lift getting 4x4 work. Maybe they will put that one in the showroom. I didn't think about it then, but yeah, no more Econolines.......
Old 04-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
That Hymer reminds me of the Thor Majestic 19G. Its a special build for Cruise America.

Best part is, you can buy one for under $30,000.

Cruise America: Thor Majestic 19G
Funny you post this

This is the exact rig i am looking at for me and my Daughter

Remove the decals
Spice up with Aluminess
Rhino guard the rockers
Bushwackers
U-Joint

Any reason not to folks?

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson View Post
Any reason not to folks?
It depends on what you want to use it for. It is not an off road vehicle by any means. It is 2WD, no lockers, poor suspension for that purpose. It's E-450, not E-350, so DRW tires get rocks jammed between them and rupture.

The shorter WB will make it easier to maneuver around town than a big Class A and you might be able to parallel park in some locations. Angle and straight in parking will be difficult due to the width.

For some people, it will be a good vehicle. For most people looking for a SMB, it just has a different purpose.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
It depends on what you want to use it for. It is not an off road vehicle by any means. It is 2WD, no lockers, poor suspension for that purpose. It's E-450, not E-350, so DRW tires get rocks jammed between them and rupture.
Look closely, it's single rear wheel and e350 on the door. Unfortunately I bet they only build these with the 5.4 too. I think it would just work too hard with that roof cap so you'd get the same fuel mileage as the v10 without the extra power.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #18

Yep, you're right. My laptop is small and my eyes old, so had to zoom in. I would think that is a lot of weight on that suspension.

Another reason it isn't suited for off road is low ground clearance.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Yep, you're right. My laptop is small and my eyes old, so had to zoom in. I would think that is a lot of weight on that suspension.

Another reason it isn't suited for off road is low ground clearance.
I agree but a lot of small Class C's are built on the 350 and they seem to do OK on road. I have an e450 small motorhome and I worry about taking it offroad and shaking it to bits.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #20

Return of the Econoline 4x4

I want to be able to take my three-year-old daughter to the national parks. There are four beach campgrounds within one hour of my house.
We are four hours from Alabama Hills and four hours from the mohave preserve

The only real reason for four-wheel-drive you so that I can get in and out safely.

Even with the U joint I can be end of the total rig for 40 grand

The next step would be a tiger but that's 100 grand. Perhaps overkill for The national parks

Maybe only do a rear locker?

The last five rigs I had, my goal was always to go out and use them and see if I could break them :-)

Seeing my daughters face roasting a hotdog and toasting marshmallows, that's what I'm talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote