Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #1

Reverse Sensors- How to reposition on rear bumper?

Has anybody re-positioned their reverse sensors on their bumper?

My rear mounted spare is setting off the reverse sensing system and I know I have to reposition the two sensors closest to the tire, but I don't want my drilling into the bumper to be a trial and error process.

If anybody has done this before and can provide pictures and measurements, that would be outstanding.

Here's how it looks now:

sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #2

Re: Reverse Sensors- How to reposition on rear bumper?

Where they are on the bumber won't make a differance. Just get out their and do it, you don't need measurements. Some people on the pickups cut the wires and do away with the whole system becuase when you pull a trailer every time you backup the buzzer goes off.
scoobasteeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Site Team

Just curious.
How do you know you have to reposition two sensors and not just the one below the tire?

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Site Team

CLEARLY, you need an Aluminess bumper, which would solve your problems. At least that's what I'd tell the wife.

Herb
Old 08-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #5

I'd take the spare off and see how high you need to move it to stop the beeping, then try to move the sensors and equivalent amount down. Hopefully it will go off when in R with the engine off so you don't have to do something dangerous.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #6

Problem solved!

The spare had been mounted inside out, with the letters facing inward. The plate with the stud bolts was 8 on 6.5in whereas my wheels are 8 on 170mm, so I had a hell of a time taking the wheel off of it since it had been forced into the studs.

I took the plate off, banged the plate off of the wheel, repositioned the plate a couple of inches upward (the aluminess tire carrier has multiple bolt positions for the plate with the studs) and jammed the wheel back on (since I don't have the correct 8 x 170mm stud bolt plate).

Bingo, the wheel is high enough so that it doesn't interfere with the reverse sensors!

Still to do: ask SMB to send me the right plate and replace it.

Thing that bugs me is that when I picked up the van, I asked them if they could mount the wheel facing outward, because I thought it would look better. They said "no", it wouldn't fit, so I let it go. As it is, if they had done it right the first time, I wouldn't have had to go through the trouble; not to mention I almost started dicking around with the sensors, when I didn't have to at all.

Here's a picture of how it looks now:
Old 08-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #7

If you're sure it's a 170mm plate you need I have one... which of course doesn't fit my 8 on 6.5... PM me.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
If you're sure it's a 170mm plate you need I have one... which of course doesn't fit my 8 on 6.5... PM me.
Thanks for the offer Jage here's a few pictures of the plate so we know we're talking about the same thing... It is the triangular piece with the four allen head bolts holding it to the tire carrier, which in turn has three studs welded to it to accept the spare:

PM sent.