Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #1

Road Trip Repair Items/Tools (RIT) - CY 2013

CY 2013 Road Trip Repair Items/Tools (RIT)

Howdy!

I have compiled 2 lists in two threads – One is an SMB Road Trip Repair Items/Tools (RIT) list and the other is a Disaster/Emergency Vehicle Kit / Bug Out Bag list (DEVKit / BOB).

The lists reflect my attempt to plan for an event of unknown severity and duration, an event which may never happen. However, assumptions must be made and a budget established.

The DEVKit, or BOB is based on the premise that I spend most of my time near my home and work. See the 2013 Disaster/Emergency Vehicle Kit / Bug Out Bag thread for more info and greater background detail.

This Road Trip Repair Items/Tools (RIT) list details the items/tools I carry in the SMB for a road trip. It is meant for emergency, breakdown, repair or maintenance while on and off road. The SMB RIT is based on the premise that they stay in the SMB.

I looked at previous threads for SMB Road Trip Repair Tools and used them as a baseline for my CY 2013 RIT list. Thanks to all the previous posters who provided their information. The Bug Out Bag I came up with after similar research on the Internet. In both cases, I added my own life experience and judgment to come up with the current lists. I won’t explain in much, if any, detail why I chose most items. If items are foreign to you and you investigate them for yourself on the internet, the descriptions will help you understand and decide for yourself to either use the same or similar thing, or modify it as you see fit.

As far as storing the Repair Items/Tools, my SMB is a 2009 E350 V10 regular van with the R50 package. Some additional SMB features add/subtract from storage (eg, propane heater). Hence, most of the items are in the under floor compartment, under the hanging closet cabinet and some in the front doors.

As far as the Bug Out Bag goes, besides the SMB I have 4 other vehicles (2 for my kids) and all 5 have identical BOBs. However, bec the SMB also has Repair Items/Tools, some items in the RIT appear to be duplicated in the BOB (eg, duct tape, utility knife, gloves, etc). However, the lists are separate and should stand alone. In other words, if you also have a BOB in your SMB, then you can decide where to keep your duct tape, gloves, etc, or to have duplicates. You may decide to duplicate such items as tape, gloves, knife, flashlight, batteries. Again, the premise is if I had to abandon the SMB immediately, I’m grabbing the BOB and I’m gone. So, I would like it complete. Or, if I’m at home and it’s necessary to evacuate, I grab the BOBs from all other vehicles, put them into whatever I’m driving and leave.

Road Trip Repair Items/Tools
Note: Most of the tools are Craftsmen - if they fail, any Sears or Orchard Supply will replace free lifetime.

1 medium and 2 small canvass tool bags to separate and hold most the items
(go to Army/Navy Surplus stores to find)

1 Bear Spray, Frontiersman 7.9 oz can, model FBAD-04 inc nylon holster,
(this is good for a lot of situations)

First Aid Kit (see DEVKit / BOB thread for details)
2 flashlights and extra batteries (LED and CR123 are my choice)

1 slip joint pliers, 1 long nose pliers, 4 channel lock pliers (4 sizes),
2 vise grips (5” and 10”), 1 wire cutter, 1 wire stripper

4 crescent wrenches [6”, 8”, 10”, 12”]
assorted combination wrenches - standard and metric
1 50 piece 3/8 inch ratchet set - standard and metric sizes with standard and deep sockets, and an universal joint ,
screw drivers – phillips and blade, from 1 ½” to 12”
assorted allen wrenches – 18 piece standard and 9 piece metric
assorted torx wrenches – 7 piece

1 ball peen hammer - 32 oz
1 2 lb demolition hand sledge hammer (had this at home – if new might be different choice)
1 utility knife w/ sheath (non-serrated blade, SS)
1 Leatherman Multitool
2 pairs leather work gloves, deerskin

1 wire brush - 4” stainless steel, wood handle
1 each nylon and stainless steel miniature wire brush – 1”

Files – 5 assorted inc flat, round, triangle
1 sheet sandpaper - #36 grit (you may need to roughen or smooth a surface)

3 cold chisels – 5/16”, 5/8”, Ύ” cut
Pry bar – goose neck – 22” (had extra one around house)
Pry bar – straight w/ handle – 30”
Klein Bolt Cutters – 30” (fiberglass handles – prevent electrocution)
1 military entrenching tool (or some kind of shovel)
Small hand digger
1 hand axe – 4” blade, 1 Sven-Saw 20”, 1 Corona 14” folding saw
1 Corona lopping shears - 26” (if buying new get compound action)
1 WISS 10” straight tin snips (had around the house)

bungee cords/rubber straps of various sizes
baling wire – 20 ga by Ό lb

JB weld glue (2 piece), JB Weld Steel Stik metals putty
DevCon Marine & Plastic putty for everything, applicator sticks
WD-40, 3 in 1 oil, electrical tape, duct tape, 4 new shop rags, 1 tape measure
Krud Kutter, 4 oz squeeze bottle, to clean grime

Duck Wrap-Fit 1” x 10’ self-fusing silicone repair tape
2 Bar’s Leaks radiator stop leak 0.75 oz each

circle clamps - assorted
1 safety goggles
I pair overalls
1 small plastic bucket with handle

shore power cable, 1 extension cord 30A, heavy duty jumper cables, spare fuses

1 Hi-Lift Jack and base plate – 4 ft minimum
ViAir 400P-A tire inflator kit
3” x 30’ recovery strap, 2 D rings Ύ” Smittybuilt, 3” x 16’ Tree Saver

3 highway flares, 1 foldable Emergency Triangle
1 Safety Seal Tire Repair Kit, 2 cans 20 oz Fix a Flat Sealant, tire gauge, set of tire deflators, “star” lug wrench
1 gal red plastic gas can
2 funnels – 1 for water tank, one for gas tank
1 tarp, reinforced grommets, 10’ x 18’, waterproof
1 tarp, grommets, 4’ x 6’, waterproof

3 light sticks, 6 inch, 30 minutes, green (yellow 2nd choice), CYALUME Technology
2 light sticks, 6 inch, 12 hours, green (yellow 2nd choice), CYALUME Technology
I got the sticks online – the 30 min sticks from Extreme Glow. These are commercial grade and they also sell military issue.
I got the 12 hour sticks from QuakeKare bec they had green, which is the best light. Extreme Glow is best website.

items to consider: extra valve stems, valve covers, spare lug nuts, 2x4 boards for tire jack, 1 large 10"x12" block of wood

AND A KITCHEN SINK

Warholic

warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #2

Re: Road Trip Repair Items/Tools (RIT) - CY 2013

Two VERY IMPORTANT items you neglected to include:

- cellphone

- AAA Card

AAA has towed me over 50 miles 3 times. And, none of the tools listed would have helped any time.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

Ford_6L_E350

How True!!

I've used 3A and cell phone once too bec I was stuck off-road 25 miles from town and 5 miles from the highway!!
By the way - a FULLY CHARGED cell phone is much perferred. Keep your phone charged up!! That was almost a near disaster for me. Of course, that assumes you can even get phone service.

I decided not to state every obvious item like a cell phone, cash, etc. If someone is going on a road trip and doesn't have a cell phone or a 3A card (or equiv) ... why not??

warholic
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

A fully charged sat phone is my choice. Cell phones don't even work in many spots of the valleys foothills close to where I live.

I also didn't see the tools and materials to plug and suture a sidewall...maybe I missed it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #5

As some of you know, I recently parted ways with my SMB and am in the process of building EV-2. When I unloaded everything out of the SMB basement I was amazed at just how many tools and gadgets I had packed away for that emergency that thankfully never came. Its really easy to just keep piling stuff in that big black hole. Sledge, brush lopers, assorted, wrenches, pliers and loads of other tools. Looking at Warholic's list I pretty much equalled or surpassed it, including the bear spray.

Looking back, I hardly used any of it. My worst breakdown was repaired in the field with two zip ties. I'm not advocating being unprepared, but this time (with space at a very high premium), I will take a very hard look at the necessary tools and implements need for a field repair. Focus is going to be on items that can serve at least double duty if not more. Did I ever use the 25 lbs of chain that came in my recovery kit? (Nope) I also amassed D-ring shackles (6 of them), jumper cables, water filter, and on and on.

Of course with my luck...
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

charlie56 - I know what you mean.
And double duty is a good way to go whenever possible.

This is all about preparing for something BAD to THE WORST, and then hoping for the best. You don't ever think you'll really need it, but you hate not being perpared especially if others depend on you. I've had my SMB since April 2011 and only now did I put together the RIT (and the BOB).

If one only drives on the highway and space is killing you, then probably all one needs is some minimum stuff and then plan on AAA.

If one off-roads a lot, is out in the boonies and isolated backroads a lot, then one probably needs more than the minimum.

Most of the time we don't break down, or maybe a flat tire is the worst thing that happens. In the end, most of the money spent just wastes away not being used. I hate that.

I hate even more being stuck bec I don't have a crescent wrench and a pair of pliers, or maybe a tire repair kit or radiator stop leak.

Ahhhhhh, what are you gonna do? I don't have a RIT (just basics like cables, tire stuff) in any other vehicle, just the SMB.

warholic
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #7

Ok, quick story on why spare valve stems aren't "extra" (if no time to read, skip to the last line).

Early in the season with snow still on parts of the trail, I'm on the Rubicon alone in my Jeep. Almost to Rubicon Springs when I decide to turn around because: 1. There is LOTS of DEEP water from snow melt. 2. I don't have much in the way of spare parts. and 3. I'm alone.

Shortly after I turn around see a group I had seen that morning and after telling them why I'm turning around they say, "Come with us. We're going all the way across and we can fix ANYTHING!" I decided to join their group. No kidding, the next day they broke an axle on one of their rigs and sure enough, out came the tools and about 2 hours later - fixed. Needless to say, I was impressed.

Next day we are up Cadillac Hill, past all of the tough stuff, and one of them rips a valve stem off. Wouldn't you know it? These guys that had "everything" didn't have a valve stem AND didn't have the key for the spare.

I started to laugh as I reached into my glove box for my spare valve stems and said, "Well hell, I can fix that. Never thought I was going to be the one to save you!"

Valve stems. Cheap, easy, and fit anywhere. Again, here's to never needing them!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #8

UPDATE!

I was thinking if you have a good camp axe or hatchet, you don't need the lopping shears or the Corona 14" folding saw. I would keep the Sven-Saw 20" which is very compact when folded, and a 20" saw is a good companion to the hatchet. So there's 2 things to remove from the RIT tomorrow.

I'm adding extra valve stems tomorrow too. No way they had a valve stem puller, tho'

warholic
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #9

Road Trip Repair Items/Tools (RIT) - CY 2013

Exactly. Luckily, the kits are cheap and available at any auto parts store.

OBTW, they also come with spare cores (why I originally purchased). Removing the core is the cheapest, possibly most efficient, way to air down tires. However, if you lose control of the core it can shoot pretty far and quickly dissapear. So, spares are highly recommended.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

There's very little that has happened to me on the road that I've needed more than a leatherman (wave with the full bit set), two high quality adjustable wrenches and a headlight to fix. Yes, I carry more than that, and some spares (small stuff, bulbs, fuses, perhaps a serpentine belt -- didn't see that on any list btw -- why not?, usually also a tire plugging kit which does have some valve stems), but past the leatherman you're really into diminishing returns. Finally, if you have a modern vehicle, a scan gauge that can read codes as well as a printout to decipher them are well worth their weight.

TwoVans' story doesn't strike me so much about the valve stems, but that you're almost always in much better shape in a group where you can pool resources.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote