Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #21
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Happy you all made it out alive and almost all well!!!!!!!! My friend had his Lab run off from a wreck he had (just 1/2 mile from where he was re-doing a bathroom for a client, in the country)...the lady he was doing the work called two weeks later and said his dog was in her bushes scared, but came out for some cheese! Labs are sooooo smart, I bet somebody will find him and let you know...good ideas about Craigslist and the local community at Pagosa Springs...Good luck my Brother! Tell your son he will have a hell of a story to write about when he gets back to school in the fall as soon as the teacher says, "Write a story about what you did this summer!" The class will have a "cool kid" to admire the rest of the year!!

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #22

Son is doing well, off the prescription pain meds already! dog is still missing, but we have put out over 200 flyers to local residents, businesses, gas stations, liquor stores, humane societies, and animal control.

the dog has been spotted several items, but may need to be trapped to be caught; she is very skittish. also, we had to go back to Houston, as i had to go back to work, so we are relying on the locals to catch our beloved lab.

now i'm on to arguing with the insurance co (Geico) about the cash value of my van. they offered $13k, using some gas powered quigley's for comps. i have over $30k in it...now i triggering the appraisal process, and hiring a lawyer. all i will say is be sure you are properly insured on your rig to avoid a fight about value after a catastrophic event!
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #23

on a good note, i just bought a low mile (69k) e350 with a 7.3L diesel on ebay. already gathering parts for AdventureVan 2.0!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #24

Mostly good news. Keep it up!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #25

That's good news about your son! Hopefully he'll make a full recovery with nothing lasting...

Sightings on the dog are also promising.

I can relate to your insurance, there's no way I'd get what I was into the van back in such an event. It might make sense to buy the salvage back and re-use the axles.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #26

i have asked twice now for the salvage value, with no response.

hoping to get it back to re-use the wheels/tires, axles, side steps, roof rack, driveshafts, and tranny/transfer case. both bumpers look pretty bad, may not be salvageable without a lot of re-working.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
both bumpers look pretty bad, may not be salvageable without a lot of re-working.
At least one member here (OCsmb) bought a damaged Aluminess bumper and had Aluminess repair the bumper for significantly less than the cost of a new bumper....may be worth a phone call.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #28

Mine are steel, but it's a good thought. If I get screwed on the settlement, and to me that means less than $20k, then I'll definitely buy it back and get the bumpers and roof rack straightened out and re-mounted. If I get a reasonable settlement, I might forgo the headache of Retrieving my wrecked van that is 1,000 miles from home and just order new parts, and source local axles and transfer case.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #29

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Would you be willing to share just how you ended up, upside down?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Would you be willing to share just how you ended up, upside down?
not sure what exactly happened. think i must have nodded off, which is out of character for me, especially at 2pm. i was sober as a preacher, but didn't sleep well the night before when we were camping. everybody else in the van was asleep except me.

the side of the road that we went off has about a 45 degree slope to it, and there is no shoulder, so once we were off the road, i couldn't steer it back on the road, and then we went off a small embankment (~15 ft.) into a draw that was hidden behind a large shrub. when we landed there was a small boulder that the drivers side tire hit, and stopped it, and then the back end came over the front, landing on the roof, then it rolled onto the passenger side and finally came to a stop.