Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #71

I have no idea whats going on, but I submitted a question under the "contact us" tab and have yet to get a reply, so I sent a PM to Janet. Hopefully, she can figure this out.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #72

Does the Ford van's turning radius present challenges at the switchbacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Has it been confirmed that the location was Flint Road? I've done that in my '07 RB SMB, ascending. Doable, but be carefull. Here's a view of that area.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #73

So, Bob is waiting to respond here, but is still unable to post. I sent a note to the site owners asking them to look into this, but neither Bob or I have received a response, so I think someone is asleep at the wheel here. I suggested that Bob try again to join, but we will just have to wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, I'll send another note to Janet in hopes she can move him along. I know plenty of folks would love to hear the story of the recovery here.
Advanced 4wd
Old 09-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #74

If it were only posting pictures that's at issue, I'm pretty sure, as a new member, I was able to create an album with photos and insert links to those images in my posts right away.... presuming I'd logged in. But sounds like he can't post anything.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #75

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by achop View Post
Does the Ford van's turning radius present challenges at the switchbacks?
I don't remember, but it was tight. I might have done a couple three point turns on those switchbacks. Not recommended for EB's!
Old 09-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I don't remember, but it was tight. I might have done a couple three point turns on those switchbacks. Not recommended for EB's!
That's what I was guessing ;-). Spotter or backup cam helpful.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #77

I talked with Bob at the Tahoe van meet, and he's still unable to post but he will email me with some additional photos and the whole story when he gets back home so I can post them for him.
Advanced 4wd
Old 09-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #78
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
There's plenty or horror videos on YouTube where the rescued rig rolled away as soon as it was upright, sometimes taking the rescuing vehicle with it.

A rally driver once passed on this bit of wisdom: "No one ever thinks to set the parking brake when the car is on its roof."

Rally drivers stuff cars into tough places all the time, often after rolling them...I've seen some pretty impressive recoveries done by the rally sweep teams in the Pacific Northwest.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #79
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Just the thought of trying to dig a hole in firm ground, big enough to bury my spare tire as an anchor point makes my back hurt.

I once read a manual aimed at NGO workers (Peace Corps, etc.) teaching them how to drive on unimproved frontier roads in developing countries. The author noted that in places where he expected to get stuck in sand or mud a lot, he carried a boat anchor. There are ones designed to dig themselves in when pulled horizontally across a loose surface, then to let go when pulled straight upward.

I should see if I can re-locate that text. It had a lot of interesting advice on how to build and repair log bridges and the like. Stuff we rarely even think about here.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #80
tlg

Garage
ORV, curious to see if that boat anchor is actually a "sea" anchor. There are folks offering deadman anchors for vehicles. Long been used in the mountaineering world. Similar concept.