Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #91
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
So far Bob has not been able to join the forum for unknown reasons. I sent an email to Janet, but never received a reply. For now Bob sent me the following, along with some video I'll try to post in a different reply. Thanks for your time Bob.....................

He has an account already set up and should be able to post. The account was set up back in August and the username is BobWohlers

If he needs an assist or password reset, have him click the "contact' link at the bottom of the page please.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
He has an account already set up
Janet, I'm sure he will get this cleared up soon, thanks for looking in on us.

On a different note, Bob did send me some video of the recovery, but my slow connection has trouble downloading it, perhaps once Bob gets set up he can do it directly.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #93

Garage
Very impressed that they managed the process with little catlateral damage - even more surprised the ladder seems to have saved the side of the Van.
Have managed to get out of a predicament using the '"steer down & don't brake" method, but it is one of those maneuvers you struggle with mentally, and certainly doesn't feel natural....but works.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #94

Yep... the trail was Flint Cove Road switchbacks on our way to our reservations at Doll House 1 and 2 campgrounds.
BobWohlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #95

Hope My Story Helps

It speaks well of everyone on this form/thread to ask "how did we do the recovery?" Knowledge is power; skill development is important. Congratulations for being interested in the recovery. I do have a video of the final recovery effort; hope I can post that sometime in the near future. I will say this again, as I've said many times in my training newsletters, once you are stuck (like a tip over), it takes MORE than "Brewing a Cup of Tea" to get ready for a recovery. This very British phrase is wonderful, but it's NOT an "end all" or "explains all" for maturely readying yourself for an intelligent recovery. YOU need a recovery assessment that includes all the STOPA phases - STOP, THINK, OBSERVE, PLAN, and then ACT. "Brewing a cup of tea" does speak to the STOP phase, but what about the other important pre-recovery audits/phases? If you want to see a complete dissertation on how you should approach a recovery like the one with the SportsMobile in the Maze District of Canyonlands, just email me to get my "STOPA - Stuck Assessment and Recovery Plan Checklist™". I'm happy to share and help you prepare for "That Day." Regards to all.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #96

Thanks for taking the time to report on this Bob! I was curious if you feel the road was too much for the size of the van or just simple operator error? It looks like once in that spot it would have been difficult to back out of it. That would be a place I would like to visit but would take the Jeep if the van would be too large. The Jeep would be less costly to fix as well!
Old 10-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #97

Video of Recovery

I'm hesitant to post this link to my DropBox (as I don't know if it exposes other elements of my cloud files), but here's a link to download the iPhone video of the final phase of the recovery. Please tell me if this is inappropriate here on the forum or is risky to my copyrighted files. Thanks folks; just trying to be of service.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4w6c66igr...%2000.mov?dl=0
Old 10-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #98

GREAT QUESTION! IMHO the Flint Trail is NOT to difficult for a 4WD lifted Sportsmobile. First off, my Power Wagon with a Four Wheel Camper on the back is larger/heavier than most Sportsmobiles. In my Power Wagon I was not using my Down Hill Assist or lockers. Truth be told, it WAS driver error. Nothing to be ashamed of, but true. He was trying to avoid a "hole" in the trail on his driver side, so he took the vehicle up on the side slope on passenger side. He went up way too far, plus he had not pulled his manually-detachable front swaybar. Had he done this, his axle would have articulated better, allowing the high-center gravity body to remain more level. Honestly, we filled in the hole prior with some rocks, so he really didn't need to try to avoid the hole. Trail reconstruction and reconfiguration is a major part of maintaining traction on such a trail.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #99

Video was great! Looks like the spot where the van was put back on its wheels was plenty wide. Must have been a tight spot just prior to there. The rigging was pretty impressive.

I was thinking when I saw the truck that it seemed to be a fairly large vehicle. Nice to hear a van can make it down. Sounds like, as the driver, I'll be the weak link. I'll just need to take my time.

I was curious about the sway bars as well. I had a hunch they were not disconnected. Thanks again!
Old 10-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #100

Garage
Yes, VivaLaVida drove it without any issue or even without tricky situation, the same to the Dollhouse trail. Just had to back up once in two of the switchbacks.