Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #21

Rotopax

I've been using Rotopax since 2016 and no problems what so ever. I started with 2.0 gal containers in red for carrying diesel. This was the largest size they had that would fit behind my Aluminess boxes in the rear. A few months later they introduced a 3.5 gal container in red. They fit in the exact same mount I installed for the 2.0 containers. I wanted to purchase yellow containers but they were always on backorder. At last check they didn't make a 3.5 in yellow. I also used the locking Rotopax hardware keyed alike, hate having a lot of keys. I've only used the extra fuel once when I helped a couple ladies out in Catavina, Baja that was low on fuel. They are a nice insurance policy for when I'm off the grid exploring the back country or reaching for the favorite fishing spot. They work great.!

Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #22

Ladder Mount for Rotopax

HI there,

After a lot of research we went with Rotopax...for weight, how skinny they can be, flexible mounting options, and modularity.

One thing we did notice is a bulge when we were in the heat of Utah. ...It has traveled a few thousand miles forth to Colorado on paved and rugged roads through heat and snow and they are fine...mount is great and easy to get to. albeit small. We think we have the 2.5 or three gallon.

The bulge as yet hasn't represented an issue. I think it is altitude and Heat related...

I have seen strap mounts for around the Spare Tire...I was surprised how hardy they were.

We mounted the Rotopax to the Aluminess Ladder.

PS: I have never introduced myself. My name is Alexandra ... Alex for short and will do an intro with your Van shortly. Hello. Love this forum ... rich source of information and van geekdom!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5493.jpg  
msaxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:31 PM   #23

Is adding a 45gal, or adding second tank between the frame rails completely out of the question?

I just went through this with my Russian Ural w/sidecar, that stock only holds 18l (4.6-ish US gallons). Everyone adds these 2.5l military looking aux fuel cans of dubious quality, if fact, Ural calls them 'fluid canisters' in their sales literature, they reportedly leak. I bought a red plastic Rotopax, but on a retro-looking Ural it "looks as outta place as a "d#*k on a fish". I also didn't like the idea of gasoline spraying the rider in the event of a fender bender, having him go up like a Roman Candle if some ignition source lights it off. I've seen others add auxillary tanks to the sidecar, then an electric transfer pump for refilling on the fly, I liked that.

I wound up locating and fitting a 7.4 gal gas tank intended for a Dneper, a cousin to the Ural, that works, fits, and looks pretty darn good and cost about $400 at the end of the day. It doubled my range, all the fuel is pulled from, and resides in, a common location.

A lot more work and expense than cans, but it's been nice to store fuel close to the OEM location, out of harm's way.