Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #21

Re: Saw a new Nissan Van

It's just a van. Actually, just a much larger version of the Ford transit, and the comments on that seem pretty positive on here. Nissan always has put performance first. None of these things are going to win any beauty contests, IMO.

webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #22

Here's video to the Radioshack conversion at The Tour of California.

[youtube:18pzyjas]
henrooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrooo
Here's video to the Radioshack conversion at The Tour of California.
It's like my garage, you have to move the bicycles to get to half of the workspace!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #24

"It's just a van. Actually, just a much larger version of the Ford transit, and the comments on that seem pretty positive on here."

There may be some confusion here between the Ford Transit and the Ford Transit connect. The Connect is the only one currently available in the US, the Transit is the supposed replacement for the E-series vans that will be brought in at some stage in the future.

I think the main argument against the new Nissan is it's basic design: it's not a van, it's actually just a very, very big station wagon It has the same internal volume as a Ford E-van while having a massive visibility blocking hood, a huge front overhang and a four foot longer wheelbase. For an urban delivery van or a vehicle that's going to be used off-road that seems just a tiny bit misguided. It seems especially odd since Nissan do make a range of vans with modern designs that are streamlined, space efficient and available with fuel efficient motors. As for the looks, well good luck arguing that one.

If you really think it's similar to the Transit Connect, find photos of both vans in profile and look at things like hood angle, hood length, front overhang, drivers seat position then also compare the size of the hood/engine bay to the actual cargo area.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #25
Site Team

The fish-eye lens used in the video sure doesn't improve the appearance.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #26

Witoke, either model of transit looks pretty mundane, IMO. If you can find beauty in any un-raised van (even a Ford), more power to you. My point is, you raise these things and they are a totally different animal. Give someone a chance to do that and then let's talk. Nobody came up to me and asked to take photos of themselves standing on my front bumper when I drove either of my 2wd Econolines.

Regarding the longer wheelbase, my Chevy EB has the same thing going on, it works better in sand and soft conditions, which is where mine gets the majority of its use. Dave @ Aluminess and Alan @ SMB did an informal side-by-side test of this, the Chevy (or at least the longer wheelbase) worked while the Fords were stuck. For rock crawling, neither a Chevy, Ford or Nissan EB is on my list.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #27

Just saw this one on 14th St. Forget the paint job, there's just no grace in the lines. Say what you will about functionality or performance, this thing really is an unsightly beast and it's a waste of space. We'll see what they look like when lifted, but I'm not running out to get one. I'd go for a Sprinter first, personally.

Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
Old 09-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #28
Site Team

Since Macmcintire's posting I can't not think of Snoopy when I see one. That might be the answer to it's looks. Paint it to look like a giant Snoopy head.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #29
Site Team

Old 09-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #30

BWAAAA
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote