Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #1

ScanGauge II vs. SCT Livewire TS Plus

On the topic of monitoring the condition of the vehicle in real time beyond the basic info displayed on the dash, from what I've read, two products stand out: ScanGauge II and SCT Livewire TS Plus. Not being well versed in computer-controlled machines, I'm trying to make an informed decision on getting a reliable and effective unit for our 2013 V10.

ScanGauge displays the status of the system and error codes, whereas the SCT does the same with the added capability to change operating parameters to enhance performance. Seems that the latter would be a lot more desirable to have (aside from 4X the price!), no? Getting better performance seems like a no-brainer.

Does installing tunes with the SCT which replace the original settings affect the factory warranty?

Can the original settings be saved and reinstalled?

There are a multitude of tunes available, on what basis do you choose between them?

I've seen that quite a few owners here use the ScanGauge and on the whole are satisfied with it. How about the SCT unit? Member depark posted (#2223-2225 in What did you do to your SMB today?) that it made a great difference in performance. Anyone else have experience with it?

Any drawbacks or issues with using the SCT vs. ScanGauge?

Thanks!

Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
I prefer custom built tunes specific for the E-series and my 6.0PSD. A lot depends on your engine (stock/modified) and gearing, even the total weight. My hand held SCT tuner came with a couple of tunes and when changing them the unit held the stock tunes. I don't recall how many tunes it could hold and they probably all vary to a point. I'm running a DP Infinity N-Dash now and it holds several tunes. It came with a free tune then I paid for each extra tune. DP adjusted my 60HP tune until I was happy with it for no charge. Being able to monitor several parameters is nice. I had a scan gauge and for the cost its hard to beat but it doesn't supply and tuning for the engine. I think 5-star tuning uses or can adjust SCT stuff but am not sure. I hear a lot of good about 5-Star. DP has been great to work with for me and they are always updating their product. You can stack (link) one Scan Gauge to another and that would be a less costly than a true tuner. You'd be able to monitor 8 parameters at once on the cheap.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #3

Thanks, Dave.

Being a novice at modifying factory settings, how do I even begin to know how to specify a custom tune? A lot of variables to choose from...

Is it through trial and error?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
The problem with generic tunes are they all seem to ignore the E-Series and are mostly for the Ford trucks. The vans have a tendency to run hot so the 6.0's are de-tuned compared to their sibling pickups. You really want somebody who deals with these engines to make the higher HP tunes for the vans. Even my first couple of attempts to dial it in failed. It was running too hot and I didn't like how the fan was operating. Jody at DP kept sending me tunes until I was happy. My engine has had a major bullet proofing job done to it and I wanted to adjust the tuning more for longevity than HP. Currently I have a 80 economy, 60HP tow, 20 daily and a no start tune. The unit captures and stores the stock tune. The 80 was running too hot and I really don't need that much extra and settled in on the 60. My van runs much cooler with the 60 tow tune compared to the stock tune. I just went through a month of running the stock tune and I was surprised the difference.

I would not feel too comfortable w/o letting someone who deals with tuning on a regular basis to do it...I certainly can't. Units like the Scan Gauge or similar are best for an unmodified 6.0 in a van. JMO. I didn't run a modified tune for over 90K miles and the engine looked clean when they pulled it apart. I think running cetane booster, adding a coolant filter, dual oil filters and watching the major parameters like EGT's and ECT/EOT's is key. You don't need a tuner to do that however a mild tune that revolves more around temps and transmission shifting probably wouldn't hurt.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

I certainly see the value in monitoring the exhaust gas, engine oil and engine coolant temps, and finding someone who has good knowledge of the Ford E-series to create the custom programs. A lot of postings I see on the forum regarding tunes are by 6.0 diesel owners. I assume all this stuff applies to V10 gassers, too?
Old 01-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
I'm sure you can go too far on any engine. I suspect a more off the shelf tune might be OK but I'd still research what others do to their gas motors. I have a car with a LT-1 engine in it and the programmer I have can produce some high power but I never would use it to just drive around in that mode. If you use (5 star) in the search you'll probably find several threads related to gas engines. Here is one:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...oday-8322.html

Old 01-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #7

Garage
I can't say enough about my Livewire TS+. It truly is remarkable at how well it works. To answer some of your questions. There are no canned tunes for the E-Series vans, only custom tunes. The TS will store up to 10 custom tunes at a time. When you install a tune, the stock tune is stored on the device so you can return the programming to stock at any time (Like taking the van in for service). When I ordered my TS from 5 Star it came with 5 custom tunes of my choice. There were 8 to choose from. There are 4 octane levels (87,89,91,93) and 2 types (Economy, Performance/Tow) each. For an extra $30 I got all eight. Your V10 has even more. You will need to decide what octane you want to run and what your usage is (DD, Tow, etc.). Ask 5 Star for a recommendation. They really know their stuff.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #8

Awesome! Couldn't ask for more. The link to the 5 Star thread has a ton of background discussion (I used "SCT" in Search, and it didn't come up) and your summary, Darryl, tells me all I need in order to move forward. I'm sold. Don't know enough to mess with creating custom tunes, looks like the standard 'custom' ones available for the V10 van will be more than enough to play with.

This is the internet at its best. Thanks, guys!
Old 01-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #9

scanguageII = to basically to monitor + read and clear codes

sct = to alter the vehicle's functiions and then some...

I have both, sorta. (TorquePro App instead of scanguage)
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #10

I thought that the SCT also monitors vehicle functions and reads + clears codes. I'd prefer to get one unit that does it all (monitors conditions, code read & clear, tunes). Does the ScanGauge monitor things that the 5 Star does not?