Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2021, 11:42 PM   #1

ScanGauge / XGauge

I am installing a ScanGuage ll and want to program in some XGuage options. I'm planning to add the transmission fluid temp, fuel pressure and cylinder head temp. There are a bunch of others I can add but not sure if any of them are very meaningful. For example, torque converter line pressure and transmission gear ratio. Not sure if either of these is useful and if they are what should I be looking for? Here is the full list of available parameters - what would you monitor? Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Transmission Fluid Temp
Cylinder Head Temp
Barometric Pressure
Fuel Pressure
Converter Speed Ratio
EGR Duty Cycle
Torque Converter Line Pressure
Transmission Gear ratio
Torque into torque converter
Transmission Output Shaft Speed
Fuel Pump Duty Cycle
Fuel Level
Fuel Pump Pulse Width (Bank 1)
Fuel Pump Pulse Width (Bank 2)

4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:18 AM   #2

Garage
I monitor engine oil temp, engine coolant temp, tranny temp, and voltage most of the time, but I downloaded all the options. I can’t tell you what all of them mean, but it’s nice to have all the options whenever trouble shooting over the phone to my mechanic. There’s been a couple of times where he was able to tell me what was going on by the different readings I gave him. Luckily everything so far has been stuff that could wait until parts were ordered or I got back to town.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #3

Great device! Double check that engine coolant temp actually works. From memory I believe it is just an extrapolated number off EOT or some other actual reading for earlier years. I know at least for the 7.3 ECT is not usable. ECT for the V10 might be available. If ECT displays -40 at start it is just extrapolated.

I use RPM, EOT, TFT, MPG as my always up display. Lots of fun to play with. The trip/fuel used becomes pretty accurate IF I remember to reset at fill up.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies! Where and how are you guys mounting the gauge? With the provided velcro or something else? Do you have it on top of the dash somewhere or mounted flat on the front of the dash?
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #5

Garage
I have a Scan Gauge II and love it. The 4 readings I keep on my screen are RPM, MPG, Avg MPG, and speed. I should monitor transmission temperature and will look for that. My coolant temperature gauge doesn't seem to move much.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #6

Like Wanderer, I have the same items on my first screen but have temp instead of RPM.
Used an L-shaped bracket mounted under the top dash panel gap. I used very thin metal and velcro.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG5639.jpg  
asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Great device! Double check that engine coolant temp actually works. From memory I believe it is just an extrapolated number off EOT or some other actual reading for earlier years.
It’s definitely a different reading when the vehicle first starts. Has to get up to a certain temp before it blips to the correct temp. Iirc it’s right when it reads 235 that it jumps back down to like 180. Seems to read right from there and I do notice that the ect does vary from eot depending on what I’m doing so I do not think it’s just a different reading from the eot, but who knows for sure.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #8

Garage
Is there a reason most around these parts seem to prefer the ScanGauge as opposed to the UltraGauge? Seems like basically the same thing but the latter is significantly less expensive.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAshevlle View Post
Is there a reason most around these parts seem to prefer the ScanGauge as opposed to the UltraGauge? Seems like basically the same thing but the latter is significantly less expensive.

At least in 2011 this thread came through re Ultra Gauge and the 7.3. A review of their website shows possible compatibility issues with the Ford Diesels.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...sues-5957.html

Trans temp is really important for me and RPM's since the 2003/2004 and earlier model years were tach-less.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Great device! Double check that engine coolant temp actually works. From memory I believe it is just an extrapolated number off EOT or some other actual reading for earlier years. I know at least for the 7.3 ECT is not usable. ECT for the V10 might be available. If ECT displays -40 at start it is just extrapolated.

I use RPM, EOT, TFT, MPG as my always up display. Lots of fun to play with. The trip/fuel used becomes pretty accurate IF I remember to reset at fill up.
Largely the same as Ray. I run a different setup (Edge CTS3), but I pull boost, pyro, EOT, RPM, trans, current gear (don't ask). On all vehicles I own I try to focus on the component(s) I know are a weak link. Without an intercooler, I always watch EGTs and have it front and center.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote