Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #11

Re: Second Hand Vehicle US Licensing

Do you have a plan to handle any in-state address requirement?
You'll also need a US mailing address for renewing the registration.

Do you know what state the current title is from?

Again, Oregon is far more lenient on smog checking, probably on address requirements, no sales tax.

Personally I would avoid doing any kind of motor vehicle transaction in California if it could be avoided. A lot of us (in other states) consider California to be like another country because many of the laws are so draconian there.

In some states you have a choice of whether you register it as an RV or as a truck/van (with a weight penalty). I would advise you at least have the vehicle weighed so you know what your options are rather than figure it out on the day.

Also some states have an annual fee based on the vehicle value (an excise tax). Oregon does not charge an annual excise tax. California does, called a VLF:
Quote:
Vehicle License Fee (VLF) (.65% of value)

Most vehicles are assessed a VLF, in lieu of property tax, based on the purchase price/value when acquired and funds go to cities/counties. VLF decreases for the first 11 renewal years (18 for park trailers) or until the vehicle is transferred (except certain family transfers, see FAQS at www.dmv.ca.gov/faq/faq_vlf.htm
That will be about $650 PER YEAR on a $100k value vehicle (+ registration and title fees)

Oregon costs about $86 for 2 years rego + $77 title fee.

Unlike Australia they don't care what insurance you have when you do the rego. You're required to have 3rd party insurance if you are pulled over, but unlike Australia compulsory 3rd party insurance isn't included in the cost of registration.

If it was me, I'd get a trip permit in California and drive to Oregon and do everything there.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Do you have a plan to handle any in-state address requirement?
You'll also need a US mailing address for renewing the registration.

Again, Oregon is far more lenient on smog checking, probably on address requirements, no sales tax.
If it was me, I'd get a trip permit in California and drive to Oregon and do everything there.

Personally I would avoid doing any kind of motor vehicle transaction in California if it could be avoided. A lot of us (in other states) consider California to be like another country because many of the laws are so draconian there.

Do you know what state the current title is from?

In some states you have a choice of whether you register it as an RV or as a truck/van (with a weight penalty). I would advise you at least have the vehicle weighed so you know what your options are rather than figure it out on the day.

Also some states have an annual fee based on the vehicle value (an excise tax). I don't know about California but I know Oregon does not charge an annual excise tax.

ANZAC,

All points taken seriously.

I am leaning towards just getting a Temporary Permit for the maximum days available.

The vehicle has Missouri plates.

Cheers, Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #13

I just added a few notes on CA registration and fees and taxes to my post above.

If the Missouri registration is not current, I'd consider removing the plates.

California does have a foreign resident trip permit for 30 days, but it requires the vehicle be exported at the end of 30 days. Trip permits can be bought many places, depending on the state.

You may find it advantageous to shop around each state as you drive, because some states have shorter and longer durations they sell. (I've done quite a bit of interstate vehicle purchasing....)

Old 06-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #14

Good points.......why title and register the van in the states when the long term plan is to export?

....I understand that you will be cruising around this country for about a year, so maybe that's the only option.

If you could do some sort of temporary tourist arrangement, that would seem to be ideal.

When I registered and titled my van at the CA DMV (purchased in Wyoming), the first DMV inspector wrote it up as a commercial vehicle. I complained that my passenger window van was for personal use only, and got the DMV to issue a regular registration. That took a few forms and an affidavit or two.

Doug, your trip to the CA DMV should be an interesting cultural experience........
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #15

I would go to NV or AZ. Much easier to register vehicles there, and cheaper. CA is difficult, and costly.

You can be in Vegas in 6 hours from Fresno, and get NV plates and title there.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #16

Note: You will definitely need proof of liability insurance in CA, and probably in other states.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #17

Does he need an address in whatever state he is trying to register the van in?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Some info that might help???

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=108743

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #19

Garage

[s:12o9ofb4][/s:12o9ofb4]

G'day,

I have insurance online through progressive with my Australian Drivers Licence and a CA address.

Have an International License as well, by convention of 1937, through, Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia.

Read last posting by daveb. Read postings by Anzac & Rallypanam.

Still digesting all information, have appointment at DMV Fresno, will get smog test first, will see what happens, whether register in CA or get permit to leave.

Am checking out the AAA options as well.

Vehicle insured with Progressive.

Life's challenges, in the U S of A!

Thank You All for great input, but it's 4.30am.

Cheers, Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
[s:lz7qesa6][/s:lz7qesa6]
Have an International License as well, by convention of 1937, through, Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia.
Those things are completely useless, at least in the US.

US and Australia are both signatories to the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Geneva_C ... AL_TRAFFIC