Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #11

Lowracer,
My 2007 "50" has no pantry. In that space is a door with 3 shelves that ends at the level of the seat bench. Don't feel bad though, in fact, I'm a little jealous; you've got the pantry, the secret hiding space behind it AND the "50" bloodline.
You're in the club.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Re: Secrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
... wonder where I could stash papers, cash or extra keys that would be fairly invisible. I'm talking about places aside from a safe or locking underfloor storage which I don't have and which would be obvious anyway.... I'm talking about casual thieves, like the teenagers who spent an hour ... rummaging through my Astro van in Oakland, taking change, my disability placard, the fast trak (electronic prepaid bridge toll device) and scarfing down earthquake emergency provisions (they must have been pretty bored).

Any other ideas?
I believe that if you have anything of value in your van that is worth hiding, this is the same mentality that "casual thieves" will have so they'll take the time to find any hiding places. You mentioned that past thieves had an hour to ransack your van. Experienced "thieves" don't need an hour to take everything they can. Chances are, any thief that tries to get into your van isn't a newbie to the act. The more they steal, the better they get at it, and know where/what to look for.

While it's probably too much of a PITA to take your change, fast trak, placard, etc and constantly hide them, then take them out again every time you get in/out of your van, I'd say that the safest place to put/hide this stuff would be in an in-van safe. Yes, it's obvious. But it's also made of steel, and either bolted or secured TO the van in some way, so unless these casual thieves brought safe-cracking gear with them, your belongings should stay safe. This would be my first recommendation. When I get my SMB, I will be installing a safe for my important belongings.

Short of a safe or lock box, the only other hiding place in an SMB that I could think of would be around the wheelwells. I don't know how SMB builds around the wheelwells when they install furniture over them, but there must be some "hollow" areas back in there. Perhaps you can add an access panel and hide stuff in there?

Or, think "outside the box" in that maybe you could attach a little "safe" or lock box to the underside of your van, or inside the access panel on the side? Maybe there's a good spot to hide stuff there?

(Sorry, but I don't have a SMB to verify these ideas)

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #13

There is such a built in safe in the bumpers if you have Aluminess. Not that it's 100% safe but it is made of steel and ransacking theives are probably not going to go there.

You could close the PH on important papers- it's doubtful that even experienced thieves will open the PH to look for valuables.

There is also plenty of unused space in the center console, between, behind etc.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #14

Jage, you're right, I do have an Aluminess rear bumper with it's locked space for tools and that's a good idea. Dare I say it, I thought the Aluminess bumper was made of....aluminum.
The PH was something that occurred to me too, especially the front zippered area which even when the top is up, presents a solid surface of canvas to the interior.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
Do a search on "Hitch Receiver Safe" might be what you are looking for.

Heh! I cant figure how to attach a picture either
Old 04-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
Do a search on "Hitch Receiver Safe" might be what you are looking for.

Heh! I cant figure how to attach a picture either
I posted one like that in a different thread. Here are the pics.

(with cover)

Herb
Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #17

Anymore, it seems most car clouts are the result of cranksers looking for something to steal to sell/trade for meth. We fixed the mom & pop meth labs, but now the cranksters have to buy dope, which increases prop crimes many fold. No, I don't have any stats at hand, but you can trust me on this. I've got to take my SMB to the Big City tomorrow for a few days. This has been weighing heavy on my pea brain as I suspect my SMB will be a target. So, first trick is making it less of a target. Crooks hate lights and dogs. So, if you've got to park outside, make sure there is good lighting and, if you have a dog that stays outside at night, park near the Dog's fenced area. Our mail carrier can't even put mail in our roadside box without our dog alerting. Great investment. Obvious advice, but don't leave anything in your vehicle that you can't live without. Don't leave easy to sell/trade items like CDs, Ipods, pills, etc. Not always possible, but there you go. Also, never leave a gun in your vehicle (within reason, of course (if going into a post office, I'd recommend you leave the 12ga in the van)). Finally, never leave anything with personal/financial information behind (SS number, CC numbers, bank account numbers, etc.). There is a thriving market for personal information.

Sounding alarms do little to alert people anymore as so common, so lots of folks doubt their value. However, cranksters are often so spun out and/or paranoid, an alarm will still likely freak them out and send them on their way. My motorcycle has an alarm but my SMB doesn't. Go figure. I'm going to remedy that.

Never, ever leave your SMB in long-term parking. That said, most smash and grabs are just that. Car prowlers generally don't hang around for long (although your person seemed to have a little extra time on his/her hands (guessing transient)). The idea of hiding stuff under a closed PH is a darn good one. Up under cabinets, etc is also great. If it takes effort to find it, most thieves will move on. If leaving valuables/keys behind because hitting the beach, hiking, etc., there is a thread about exterior locks, safes, etc. here somewhere too with some great information. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #18

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
I noticed about 6" space behind the microwave

The PH mattress would be a good spot for cash...I have the 2" sectional type, so there are easy access zippers.

The backs for the Dinette are very thick, a little carving out of the foam could nicely hold a gun that would never be noticed (where laws allow!)

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
I seem to remember about a licenes plate safe but don't know how well they are constructed and wouldn't use one myself. I thought about one of these but if I did install one I would have the key cut to only open the door and not operate the ignition.

http://www.davstarsecurity.com/1312.htm

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #20

Deminimis,
My Astro van was rifled by the teenagers across the street, there were frequent evictions in that duplex and alot of gigantic boys hanging out in their driveway. We were new to the block and they just had to check the Astro.
When we brought our brand new SMB back to that fairly dicey neighborhood in Oakland to load and drive to Texas, I slept in it with my dog every night for a week until we left. I just locked myself in, top down and set the alarm; I don't know who would have been more surprised, the thieves or me.

I like the trailer hitch safe. You don't think they look obvious?