Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
I like the trailer hitch safe. You don't think they look obvious?
Not if they have a "normal" looking cover on them, like you see everywhere on the road already....

My question is: how do they "lock" into the hitch receiver?

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware
My question is: how do they "lock" into the hitch receiver?
"The HitchSafe slides into your current 2" Hitch Receiver on your Truck, SUV or Van and is secured inside the Receiver Hitch via two bolt retaining bars that can only be accessed by opening the combination drawer."

From the website daveb listed.

Herb
Old 04-21-2008, 07:52 AM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Ah, OK. Thanks for the info.

I guess that sounds like a good solution. BUT, it would only truly work well if the thieves didn't see you just put your keys/money into it. Then they'd know to focus their energies on the hitch safe.

This is a great thread. My SMB will eventually become my "second" home, so security is definitely one of my concerns.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I seem to remember about a licenes plate safe but don't know how well they are constructed and wouldn't use one myself. I thought about one of these but if I did install one I would have the key cut to only open the door and not operate the ignition.

http://www.davstarsecurity.com/1312.htm
I have one of those on my van on the Aluminess bumper, one on my pickup truck that I've used for 5+ years now, and one next to my side door on my house. Works great. I love it. When I go to the airport or ski or climb or whatever, I lock my keys IN the vehicle (hidden of course) and always have a spare in the lock box. Haven't lost keys in years outdoors.

I do like the trailer hitch one though, but right now I'm using my trailer hitch. Anyway, it's got a rubber cover to protect it and I have it mounted on my rear bumper. I figure if they're going to rip it off and smash it open, they're going to smash a window anyway.

As an aside, one could also put a hitch safe on with nothing in it just to make them waste time...
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #25

kzemach and daveb,

I did not see the license plate safe but I did just order the one that I assume kzemach is talking about. I figured I would mount it somewhere out of sight rather than on my Aluminess. Ordered 1 for my Jeep too.

Once in Mexico I locked my keys inside with the engine running. In that case it only cost me $15 for a "locksmith" to get it open in under 5 seconds. But lucky I wasn't offroad when it happened. too many cerevezas I guess. BTW, the "locksmit" was driving a new E class Mercedes-and this is a true story!

Hopefully this safe will take care of that problem.

kzemach: what do you think of me mounting it somewhere other than the bumper?

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #26

In Mexico in 87 we put cash under some rubber cement and ashes in the ashtray. It was "bribe your parents out of jail" money, just in case. Too bad nobody smokes anymore...
Old 04-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
kzemach and daveb,

kzemach: what do you think of me mounting it somewhere other than the bumper?

steve :c3:
It'll mount anywhere. You bolt it on from the inside of the lockbox, usually with sheet metal screws so ideally it'd be good to mount it somewhere where someone can't get to the backside of who you mount it to... but whatever. I suppose you could glue it on as well with some JB weld or something. I use it several times a day when we use the van, as we always leave the keys inside, so I needed it placed somewhere very accessible.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #28

I have the Hitch vault and it works well. Just like anything else with enough time and pressure I am sure someone could break it open. But it really doesn't have any weak spots for theives to pry open. It is very small so you can only fit some keys and some money and that is about it.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #29

If you have a galley, release it and look at the space in the door panel. Hopefully thieves won't find the little release. I never saw it until the person that I bought it from told me. Let me know if you read this because I will have swear you to secrecy. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #30

Garage
I got the keyless entry alarm system. I hide the key inside and press a few buttons to lock and set the alarm. When I hike or photograph, I don't need to carry the bulky keyring in my pocket, and there's nothing to lose. When my buddy needs to run back to the van for his 9mm or another brewski, he just uses the code.