Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Sportsmobiles > General Sportsmobile
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjappers View Post
Thanks daveB..I havent heard any negative stuff about the pure smb suspension (non quigley)?
In a nutshell.. the SMB conversion is reliable, but the ride can be rough.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
SMB used to offer both Quigley and their own design. IIRC the Quigley build was a few thousand less. The SMB build has different drive train components that are listed on the SMB site under the 4x4 section. I'm not sure when SMB quit using the Quigley conversions, but there are a lot of Quigley SMB's out there.
Wasn't it in about 03 that SMB and Quigley parted ways? I'd like to know the actual year if someone can confirm. I've always been curious.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #13

Yes... but it wasn't a 'hard' break.. If a customer wanted a Quigley 4x4 and SMB, they could still do that.. at least as long as the E-series lasted.

So there are occasional newer Quigley 4x4/SMBs out there.. but most post 2003 are SMB 4x4.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage
I put Deaver leaf springs on to replace my SMB 2006 spring pack. I'm told the newer SMB builds use different leaf springs and Fox shocks. My old springs were rough on washboard but handled cornering like my pickup. I could fly around turns but hitting a speed bump in a parking lot would send me into the headliner. The newer builds also got better brakes than my van has. With such a stiff ride, I aired down often and usually pulled the front sway-bar disconnects.
My gripe about the old SMB conversion is breaking the disconnect studs. I've broke them over 10 times. Actually I've been driving around disconnected for a couple months now. Still takes corners fine with em off.

A few years ago I broke the track bar somehow (some leaf spring builds don't even have them I think).

The Atlas II transfer case requires some work from time to time...usually the rear seal.

I broke a front shock mount but I think SMB has improved their design. All of this has to do with where I take the van and how heavy it is.

It's best to figure out how tall of a lift you want. It is difficult to get into a taller van but higher ground clearance helps me having an EB. Some want it to be able to fit in a shipping container. Other considerations could be whether you want coils or leafs, Dynatrac components, Ford or other manufactures equipment used in the drive train. Best to talk with the shops who convert them. I'm also glad I asked for a full float rear axle.

BTW if you go into my first album there are a bunch of pictures showing the new cutaway classic, newer & older SMB builds plus some Quigley's suspension stuff.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #15

The Agile conversion basically consists of an F Series Twin Traction Beam front end from the 90's. Dana 50 TTB to be exact. Of course there is a large adapter plate in their as well. A bit different from your standard IFS in that the pivot points cross, but that gives it a large radius. You also get custom springs and shocks and they add a leaf to the back. They use shift on the fly transfer cases with manual locking hubs. So another bonus is no shifter on the floor. They add a leaf to the rear springs and use their custom tuned shocks to account for the heavier van.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Yes... but it wasn't a 'hard' break.. If a customer wanted a Quigley 4x4 and SMB, they could still do that.. at least as long as the E-series lasted.

So there are occasional newer Quigley 4x4/SMBs out there.. but most post 2003 are SMB 4x4.
SMB actually installed the Quigley kit at Sportsmobile West but after they made their own design, Quigley quit letting SMB do the Q-conversions. However in 2005 I had the option going one way or the other.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #17

Here's a good thread about the Fox Shocks sold/installed by SMB: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...smb-13682.html.

From that thread, here's a quote from Agile Offroad:

Quote:
We are not really selling a SMB RIP Kit at this point and not competing with SMB West's offerings. We have done some custom work on SMB's with our FOX Shock selection and spring and shock mount work. We already have too much on our plate. SMB's part numbers are their's alone and their specs. They worked with the FOX engineers and I am sure they are a much better product and ride than the other brands they offered in the past. I think SMB owners would be very happy with them.
crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #18

Well, there you go. I was confused. It happens.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #19

To get down to basics, and perhaps address more of what the OP was asking, there are fundamental differences between Quigley and SMB systems:

Quigley
  • solid front axle, coil springs
  • compare to Quadvan or ExpoVans/MGMetalworks
SMB 4x4
  • solid front axle, leaf springs
  • compare to UJoint (or old Quadvan or Advanced)
Agile
  • TTB, with coils
  • compare to ??? (F-Series?)

What Agile offers with their RIP kit is to improve the ride of Quigleys, which are known for their limited up travel. I believe they have also installed their kit on Quadvans. If you're looking to improve an SMB 4x4, you'd probably be better talking to Chris at UJOR.

Anyway, that's my attempt at distilling this down to basics after years of reading (and dreaming of converting my own van). Probably some wrong assumptions in there, so feel free to correct me.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 06-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman View Post
To get down to basics, and perhaps address more of what the OP was asking, there are fundamental differences between Quigley and SMB systems:

Quigley
  • solid front axle, coil springs
  • compare to Quadvan or ExpoVans/MGMetalworks
SMB 4x4
  • solid front axle, leaf springs
  • compare to UJoint (or old Quadvan or Advanced)
Agile
  • TTB, with coils
  • compare to ??? (F-Series?)

Cheers,
Brent
True but there is a reason SMB conversions cost more than Quigley:
  • Advance Adapter Atlas II All Gear Driven Transfer Case
  • Dynatrac Pro-Roc 60 front axle
  • Dana 60 rear axle
  • Fox 2.0 Performance Series Shocks
  • High Knuckle Front End for Extra Tie Rod Clearance
  • Extra Heavy Duty Steering Arm
  • True horizontal drag link Spicer 1350 one-ton rated driveline components
  • Your choice of open, limited slip, or locking differentials
  • Partial military wrap springs designed specifically for a Sportsmobile conversion
  • Reverse Shackle leaf spring design
  • Front sway bar with quick disconnect system and custom shocks
  • Front End Upgrades including new casting, larger knuckles, and hubs
  • F550 rotors and beefed-up the calipers
  • GVWR 10,050 lbs