Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #131

Re: Seeking RV Insurance for 4WD New SMB

i bought my 2004 rb 350 for 76.000 and insured it for 100th. formost ins. 600 per year

berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #132

Just a word on Progressive. I had them in 2007 on my brand new SMB. Looked good on their website, talked with a couple of their agents and all seemed good. A few months later I decided to really read my policy. In the fine print it said I needed a plumbed in toilet! This is in spite of the website giving me coverage and the agents telling me I was OK without it.
I canceled with them and called Poliseek. Got the policy I wanted from National Interstate and have had it for the past six years. Now, two weeks before my renewal is due, I get a notice that l'm being cancelled because they don't insure four wheel drives. WTF???
Poliseek is no help. I'm now scrambling for coverage.
Serious bummer....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #133
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Just a word on Progressive. I had them in 2007 on my brand new SMB. Looked good on their website, talked with a couple of their agents and all seemed good. A few months later I decided to really read my policy. In the fine print it said I needed a plumbed in toilet! This is in spite of the website giving me coverage and the agents telling me I was OK without it.
I canceled with them and called Poliseek. Got the policy I wanted from National Interstate and have had it for the past six years. Now, two weeks before my renewal is due, I get a notice that l'm being cancelled because they don't insure four wheel drives. WTF???
Poliseek is no help. I'm now scrambling for coverage.
Serious bummer....
I'm almost afraid to ask but have you tried National General (prev-GMAC)? Those fine lines are difficult to get around. I mean a plumbed head could be something an adjuster might have difficulty in proving you don't have on board in a total out. But a four wheel drive conversion is another thing and could be used as a reason the accident happened or why it couldn't be avoided. Kind of hard to hide that.
Keep us posted on who you find. I think I got a quote from AAA (of Ca) but never switched.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #134

Thanks for the warning regarding Progressive. I have Progressive here in Washington State.

I just went and had a look at my Progressive policy documentation, and perhaps coverage varies from state to state, but my WA policy doesn't mention the word "toilet":

Progressive Insurance Motorhome Policy (2010/07)

Did you find this what-qualifies-as-a-motorhome condition in your Policy document? Or should I be looking in some other document for this?

-- Geoff
Old 11-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #135
Site Team

Garage

When I was looking for insurance some of the companies said it required a Black Water Tank. But I got so many mixed requirements from different reps at the same companies that I wanted to pull out all my hair. I'm thinking it might change from state to state with some companies.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #136

I live in California and have my van insured as an RV with Progressive. I do not have a black water tank there is nothing in my policy about a black water tank and nobody ever asked me about it. I was caught in a mudslide. My van has been with them being repaired with no questions asked. No problems with progressive at all as far as coverage....just the amount of time they have kept my van to work on it and the quality of the mechanics they employ. After this year I want to insure it as a normal van with USAA. I love them.
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #137
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I live in California and have my van insured as an RV with Progressive. I do not have a black water tank there is nothing in my policy about a black water tank and nobody ever asked me about it. I was caught in a mudslide. My van has been with them being repaired with no questions asked. No problems with progressive at all as far as coverage....just the amount of time they have kept my van to work on it and the quality of the mechanics they employ. After this year I want to insure it as a normal van with USAA. I love them.
That good to know. I'm in California and when I asked Progressive I got mixed messages from different reps. The final word from corporate was sorry we can't insure you. But I specifically told them I didn't have a plumbed in head and tank. This was back in 2006. But like I posted how would they know and would they really look? I think what some of the companies are trying to do is weed out people who throw in a jug of water, a mattress, and a Coleman stove then claim it's an RV.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #138

Got State Farm rv insurance for $530 a year
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #139

My Progressive policy I was referring to was from six years ago. I don't remember all the specifics, but the needing a plumbed in head was in the body of the policy. This was in California. I remember talking with several of their agents and getting different stories on the toilet need. When I was finally told I didn't need one I bought the policy. It was great coverage at a super price. To good to be true???
Anyway, I will be spending a lot of time today trying to find insurance. I will check with Progressive again and many of the others mentioned here.
I'll post the results.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #140

If you're a Good Sam member check them out. I put all my vehicles on their insurance and my 2013 SMB has full replacement coverage for 5 years for about $550 per year.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote