Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #211

Insurance coverage for S

Still looking for best and most cost effective coverage. I currently have AAA who will only insure campervan as a van, because that is how "the VIN identifies it." Then they add on a special policy to cover the conversion. Total annual policy is $2719!

Through GoodSam the underwriter is National General and only $1550 annual. Quite the savings, only problem is, NG has terrible write ups!

Ive been w/ AAA for yrs bc I have a multi policy w/ other vehicle and HO insurance. We've liked it bc the policy covers replacement due to fire, which have been out of control here in CA the past several years.

Who do you use for your SMB conversion and how much do you pay?

rolorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #212

Insurance coverage for SMB conversion

I have a 2018 Sprinter 2500 4x4 full conversion w/ pop top. Still looking for best and most cost effective coverage. I currently have AAA who will only insure campervan as a van, because that is how "the VIN identifies it." Then they add on a special policy to cover the conversion. Total annual policy is $2719!

Through GoodSam the underwriter is National General and only $1550 annual. Quite the savings, only problem is, NG has terrible write ups!

Ive been w/ AAA for yrs bc I have a multi policy w/ other vehicle and HO insurance. We've liked it bc the policy covers replacement due to fire, which have been out of control here in CA the past several years.

Who do you use for your SMB conversion ins and how much do you pay?
Old 03-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #213

Garage
I just moved to StateFarm. I am paying 1200 per year for the minimal BUT, I can hold the insurance during a period of 6 months (i.e. winter time). So, good saving.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #214

Thanks, that's a really good deal, I will check out State Farm.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #215

I had a passenger van E350 with a SMB RB50 conversion. Good Sam/Natl Gen insured it as an RV with full replacement coverage at a reasonable premium. Then it got totaled. NG was a bit of a pain to deal with (nowhere near USAA’s easy claims service, but USAA won’t do RVs). In the end I was shorted a couple $k.

For my new SMB I tried to go with USAA’s referral to Progressive. But Prog. Would not take it because it has no built in toilet. I went with GEICO for my with full purchase price replacement.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #216

Seeking RV Insurance for 4WD New SMB

Wow, I recently added my 2002 E250 Traverse to my Erie Insurance for something like $450 a year. It’s added as an RV and they wanted to know its current replacement cost. I pay a similar premium for my 98 SMB. Both vans are covered on the same overall policy as our two regular vehicles.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:59 AM   #217
Orv

Garage
I have mine insured through AAA, liability only. The value is on the edge of where I'd normally think about getting collision and comprehensive, but with its age I think it would be hard to get them to pay out what it's actually worth anyway. I'm in a position where I can afford to "self insure" as it were, instead of paying out premiums for something that probably wouldn't be there if I needed it anyway.

I originally tried to insure it as an RV -- the rates are much lower -- but everyplace I tried refused to quote an RV policy for something that didn't have a permanently installed toilet. I don't know if that's a state-specific thing, or what. I also had to call around, because it has a commercial VIN the online quote systems would reject it.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #218

Garage
That price seems excessive, I have full coverage on a 2001 7.3 for $511 per year through State Farm in Idaho. Insured and registered as an RV. When I had it insured, I listed the worth at $65K. Of course most insurance companies are more willing to take your $$$ than give you theirs when you need it.
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #219

I have Allstate for for 2013 SMB 4x4, EB51 build and full replacement value at $850/year.
soloalpinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #220

I am knee deep in this as we take delivery on and 18 MB sprinter SMB in 36 hours.

I have talked to everyone from my Country agent who underwrites Progressive, my local agent who underwrites Nationwide and Progressive and Safeco and has a Van herself and is the most well versed, to Justin who was a recommendation of SMBW and was totally unimpressive(pushes Safeco but couldn’t deliver an Agreed Upon value in the state of NV), and 4 others in between.

I hear all sorts of things on each policy like it is an RV, it’s not, you want AV you want guaranteed replacement, you don’t. What I did hear is you do not want stated.

Most people don’t grasp the value and uniqueness of a brand new SMB, or the cost. I have been told and again who knows the truth that a true total replacement cost policy will deduct for depreciation and storage conditions. However the last agent has assured me that the progressive policy is written as an rv, is written on actual replacement value, and is written on total cost including tax and reg, and for me in NV on $180k coverage is $1300 a year.

I bounce around in which is best, but I felt overwhelmingly like Justin in So Cal probably didn’t have my sole situation at hand or was acting in my best interest or giving me the right info.

But tomorrow I will have the Progressive policy written. Nationwide has a similar one, but it was about $200 more. Safeco AV not available in my state did not guarantee replacement cost.

Hope it helps. I am lost too haha!
Tahosrfr is offline   Reply With Quote