Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Selling my SMB.

So I am looking into selling my rig. My wife and our two month old baby enjoy it but it is not being used to the fullest. We have been wanting a house and since the market is as low as its going to be in California we would like to use the money for a down on a house. The question is do I put it on SMB west website? They want two hundred up front then thirteen hundred when it sells. Should I put it on Craigslist as well? What have you all found seems to work the best?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #2

Re: Selling my SMB.

I think it depends on the value of the rig. If you're talking about a mostly new (high value) setup then I'd suggest using the SMB web site as they probably attract a fair number of folks that understand the value. And at those value levels the overhead of their help is relatively small.

If you've got a more moderately priced setup then I'd start by posting to the forums here and your local craigslist and whatever else you can think of. Give that a try for a while before diving into the SMB pages.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

Garage

sucks to hear your selling, but someone will be stoked to pick it up.

i agree with pritikin. post it up on your local craigslist and here. if you get desperate, post it on SMB.

when i was searching for a van i looked everywhere on cl. people serious about buying will find it. unless of course your in a hurry. then it might be worth it to list on SMB's site. personally, i would want that extra 1500 bucks in mah pocket.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #4

Selling my SMB.

Craigslist is free. Try that route first. Even eBay to find cross country buyers. Still be way less money than SMBs $1500.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #5

Well I have been in the automobile industry for 18 years and I can tell you this selling on your own when its a high dollar unit is tuff, but when its a rare unit such as an SMB I think you will find that craiglist, rvtrader,ect will have great response. High dollar SMB's can be tuff to sell because unless its a newer unit "2010+" financing can be hard to get even SMB has a hard time with used units if its financed, most SMB buyers pay cash.

Good luck
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

Selling my SMB.

Mine is a 2006 converted in 2009 and in absolutely great shape. My step mom got the conversion done and it is now all mine. I have the title. I think I'm going to go the SMB route. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #7

Congrats on being able to see the 'big picture' financially. There will always be another van, and i'm guessing after you find the right house you might just find yourself with another van of some type because they really are a great way to haul the family around. Hopefully after having your setup you have a good idea on what you can and can't live without next time around too.

I know when I was looking for vans, I was obsessive about it and was a Craigslist searching machine! Post it up - I'll bet someone looking will find it. However, with a 6 week old at home myself I understand how much free time you must have.

Good luck on the house hunting and keep us posted!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

It sure won't hurt to call Lynn at SMB west and talk with her. She told me that they have people waiting for the right vehicle to come along that suits their needs. Maybe somebody out there is waiting for what you're selling; maybe not but it never hurts to ask.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #9

Selling my SMB.

It wouldn't hurt to list with smb if its not exclusive (meaning you can still list it yourself elsewhere) and you raised the price to cover their fees.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote