Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #1

Seriously considering this SMB ....

As this is my first attempt to purchase, I could use some input on what you all think is a fair price.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/rvd/6080133823.html

Many thanks!

ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

Garage
That is a very nice rig. Looks like it was stored inside. East coast vehicle, so check carefully for rust. If it is as straight and clean as it appears to be in the photos, and if everything is working properly, then I think the asking price is in the ballpark, given the low mileage.

Run background checks (CarFax, etc.) to check for past damage. Sniff the oil. Crawl around underneath. Make sure that those new tires have a recent date code, and that they are Load Range "E"--if not, they are useless. Ask for maintenance records. Examine it carefully. but it kinda looks like it was a retired couple's baby, and saw light use and good care.

It might be a good one.

Good Luck!!!
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

Absolutely check the service records and if time and money allow put it on a lift for a PPI.
Most dealerships offer this at a usually reasonable price.

A long story short. Many many years ago I wanted to buy a vehicle after phone and email conversations we were set for a purchase date and then I asked him if I could have a PPI and he never pick up the phone again. It's a good way to weed out the weasels from the roses
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

Garage
Hey, that's a super-nice-looking rig you're considering!
Hope it pans out well for ya.

(But if it doesn't....here's another alternative (if ya haven't already seen this one too....looks like its been listed for only 2 days at this point....)

>>> Similar clean-looking/well-maintained-looking (but higher mileage) 2001 Sportsmobile for sale here as well, significantly cheaper (though I have to admit, the ad listing that has no logical punctuation / capitalization whatsoever has at least the faint aroma of being a scam.....)

If this one's legit, it's a darn good price for a well-equipped high-top SMB with only around 100k miles on it...and with a V10, no less! Not bad....all the things that Glider/Bbasso mentioned that you'd want to check out/verify would apply for this one of course.

2001 Sportsmobile - $11900 (Tucson)https://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/6086796088.html

CL ad copy:
"Selling my 2001 sportsMobile 19ft has runs and drives like new only has 99k miles and it has ford V10 6.8 liter gets great gas mpg fully self-contained can sleep up to four people two adults and two children it has a two burner stove and microwave sink refrigerator that runs off of gas or electric rooftop air conditioner it's a 13,500 BTU good heater Great tires all matching has a full standup shower with toilet has propane everything works motorhome is in great shape just don't use it anymore $11900 firm has current Emissions no leaks never been smoked or pets in it never
if interested please give me a call has a clear title already to go"

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hey, that's a super-nice-looking rig you're considering!
Hope it pans out well for ya.

(But if it doesn't....here's another alternative (if ya haven't already seen this one too....looks like its been listed for only 2 days at this point....)
Be careful. That one has multiple red flags flying.
Ready to Rumble!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #6

Yes, I had seen this one a few days ago. It is listed in CL No. NJ (but it is actually mid-north VT). Looks nice from the pics. Hope it pans out for you!

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Be careful. That one has multiple red flags flying.
I don't see the red flags. I mean, the price seems WAY low but the pics are decent and pics and info don't look lifted. The phone number is plainly listed. Something's weird though, that rig is not even half what it should be listed for.

Anyone close?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I don't see the red flags. I mean, the price seems WAY low but the pics are decent and pics and info don't look lifted. The phone number is plainly listed. Something's weird though, that rig is not even half what it should be listed for.

Anyone close?
I just tried the number. It went directly to voicemail with a computerized auto-attendant. Did not leave a message. The same phone number is associated with an ad for a 1970 Airstream on airstreamforsale.com. I dunno--I could be wrong; the whole thing just smells a little off to me.
Ready to Rumble!
Old 04-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

Hmmm. I see what you mean now.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:26 AM   #10

Thanks for all the help.

I was not able to get as far as making an offer. I was instantly approved for a loan for the full amount but the bank would only finance up to the NADA value (which was less than 1/2 the amount the seller was asking) and I do not have the cash to make up the difference.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote