Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #11

Sexism and Sportsmobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWschusser View Post
BrianW, I'm not a tire kicker, I have streamlined my questions (and with it not being a diesel and have bulletproofing questions, it's much more cut and dry), and offered $5000 more than the asking price pretty much from the get go, anticipating interest. He also said he was an honorable person and will cater to potential buyers the order the come in. I was #2. You do the math. He's a dishonorable seller AND a sexist a$$.

I never said you were. You quite obviously have done your homework and are serious. I was just saying there are a LOT of SMB dreamers out there who can (and do) waste the time of sellers, and unfortunately that can color how serious buyers are treated. Also, for better or worse, a local, low hassle cash buyer often trumps an out of town buyer just due to the immediacy.

+1 on CarringB’s suggestion to occasionally “bump” your WTB post so it comes to the top of the “new posts” and people see it. Don’t do it every day, but every week is cool IMO.

You’ve probably thought of this already, but don’t discount a 2WD SMB. It may do what you want with some minimal upgrades (tires, locker). Or you can easily get it converted yourself through one of several west coast converters.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #12

Garage
BrianW makes a great point: if I have 90K to spend on a 2013 I personally would just as enthusiastically consider a well kept older model for 50K...since 30 or 40K in "upgrading" could very likely put me in a much better position. Just something to factor into your search formula.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
BrianW makes a great point: if I have 90K to spend on a 2013 I personally would just as enthusiastically consider a well kept older model for 50K...since 30 or 40K in "upgrading" could very likely put me in a much better position. Just something to factor into your search formula.

Yup. You get a brand-new 4x4 driveline set up exactly the way you want it, plus your pool of possible vans expands considerably.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #14

Keep your head up and eyes open for the next opportunity @pnwschusser
I had the same thing happen to me, only I'm a man and the seller sold to a woman with a sob story. I had financing set up and all, was going to drive to pick up the very next morning when I got the call. My jaw dropped as well and I told the woman she was very dishonorable. A couple months later and better equipped financially, I bought the van I never knew I ACTUALLY wanted..and I was able to pay cash! Brush this one off, it may be a blessing in disguise and be prepared for a pleasant surprise!
Old 06-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I get it, and I might have to go that route, but I am just trying to avoid the hassle of upgrading. I have tons to do to my house as well, so I'm not really looking for another project. Plus, getting upgrades right now during the pandemic might take a long time, and one of my kids graduates next year. We just don't have the time. I just want people to be kind and honest and forthright and to stand by their word.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadQ View Post
Keep your head up and eyes open for the next opportunity @pnwschusser
I had the same thing happen to me, only I'm a man and the seller sold to a woman with a sob story. I had financing set up and all, was going to drive to pick up the very next morning when I got the call. My jaw dropped as well and I told the woman she was very dishonorable. A couple months later and better equipped financially, I bought the van I never knew I ACTUALLY wanted..and I was able to pay cash! Brush this one off, it may be a blessing in disguise and be prepared for a pleasant surprise!
Ugh! That's horrible. I'm so sorry. I, too, told the guy he was very dishonorable, after he touted just how honorable he was. (Well, he wouldn't pick up the phone, so it was VERY satisfying to leave that message in the composed manner I did.) I have a dedicated SMB account full of cash, but now I've convinced myself I'm glad I don't have his van and all of the bad juju that is likely clinging to it. Fingers crossed something else will come along Thanks for the support everyone.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #17

FWIW - Since manufacturing in Oregon was never closed down, QuadVan is business as usual. Although I suspect at some point they may run low on new OEM parts. They can usually covert an E-series in a few days, although custom leaf springs can add a week or 2. Buying a 2WD doesn’t mean you have to the conversion work. Just something else to think about.... might open up some options.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #18

QuadVan is what I was thinking of. Fairly local and well regarded. All you have to do is write a $20k check and you got yourself a 4x4 van in a few weeks :-)
Old 06-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #19

I gotta add this: one other ridiculous thing he said was that (although I was dropping 90 grand) he wouldn't let me do the actual driving because of COVID, and that one of his friends would be driving it instead. ??? So after I crawl all over the van, and more than likely sit in the driver's seat and touch the steering wheel, he won't let me drive it because of....COVID? Yeah, this guy was straight up sexist, but maaannnn, this one really hurt.

Moving on, cheers everyone. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #20

I have been on both sides of this equation, having just sold a SMB. I had one buyer who said he was flying in with cash, and would I hold it for him for a few days? I said sure, if he sent me a copy of his plane ticket, which he did. Well, later in the week he came up with an issue because his bank was closed and he couldn't get to his safe deposit box. When I asked for a deposit, he said he would be here in a day or two, even before the deposit would arrive. Long story short, on the day of his flight, he suddenly came up with more excuses and never showed. Meanwhile I had another buyer who had a very similar experience as yours and had the van sold out from under them the day they were to buy. I told them I had a buyer, but would call them in a couple days if he backed out, which I did, but they never returned my calls despite being ready to buy a couple days prior. The point being that when one has an in person buyer, rather than wait for someone else that may or may not show up, it's best to deal with the in person buyer. Personally, I kept my word and held it for two different no shows, but many folks won't, possibly because they have been burned before. It's unfortunate your having so much trouble, but the market is really hot right now and deals come and go quickly. It's always been a bit that way, but now it's even crazier. A couple tips for your search, You need to be ready to fly at a moments notice, which it sounds like you are, you should be checking all the ad's every day (Craigs list, Market place, Offer up, Ebay, Auto trader, here, and pretty much anywhere else that sells trucks) There are search engines that will check all of Craigs list etc. Offering more than the asking price prior to seeing the van in person will make some folks suspect a scam. I always refuse to talk about offers until someone has seen the van in person. So, don't give up, the van your looking for is out there, you just need to think of the search as a challenging job.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
Closed Thread