Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #61

[QUOTE=Annie O My van is even a bit of a filter when I date new guys- some see her and cannot get away from me fast enough LOL like they would not want me pulling into their daughter’s driveway in her![/QUOTE]

Having met you in person, I think those guys must be crazy

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
Old 07-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWschusser View Post
This is so true--I've been looking and looking, and know what's out there. I'm hanging up my hat for a spell, tired of futile kowtowing. I think I'll wait until this crazy sellers market slows down a bit. It's kind of sucking the life out of me! Peace out.
Check out www.modvans.com. You can get a brand new, AWD Transit based CV1 for $90k. Our current wait time depends on the chassis, but we can get you rolling in a few months.

PJ
Old 07-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #63

Wait, WHAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
What the heck arctic, we never met- that I know of anyhow!! If we did you did not properly introduce yourself!
(I cannot find a folded-arms toe-tapping emoji). But thank you for the compliment!

I have only met JWA in person. He was a perfect gentleman. Even tho his stories betrayed a -um -past
Old 07-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by This old va View Post
If time is of the essence and you can't get a Sportsmobile you could buy a small motorhome for half the price of a sportsmobile and have plenty of fun my mom took me all over the Western United States..
Hey This Old va I LOVE your mom!!

As for making the kids happy- I would not spend much trying to make that happen. Of course they didn’t really want to camp with me when they were going on 18.

However I will say if I call my son now and say, “Want to head to the mud hole?” He is ON it and all in because that means 4-wheelin my van.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #65

I am sorry that this happened to you. I don’t have any advice but I bought a SMB off this forum about 4 years ago and the seller said something that made me wonder if he sold it to me because I am female (and going to take my son camping). A SMB took the place of separate tents and has worked great for us. So I had the opposite experience, so maybe you ran across a jerk seller. This is my first time posting but the advice and camaraderie in these posts is inspiring. By the way I looked at the forum classifieds for about 3 years before finding a van and that was before these vans got so popular, so don’t give up!
Ann
Old 07-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #66
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Well yes-----she's quite the lady and if its not too disrespectful or forward quite appealing as well----nothing cuter than a gal with a truck bigger and better looking than my own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
I have only met JWA in person. He was a perfect gentleman. Even tho his stories betrayed a -um -past
Well yeah---I've not let too many better bad ideas escape me in this life. As you did share I have one or two stories to tell.......... Not so sure about the "perfect gentleman" thing though--I can act civilized when it's necessary.

Re: this whole bit about supposed sexism---in 1984 I acquired a body shop and early on it was very apparent women were greatly and egregiously under served in the automotive service industries. I took a page from a local Honda dealer/customer who hosted monthly "women's only" garage seminars for mostly new Honda owners, a bit of a social and educational event meant to demonstrate various aspects of vehicle ownership and maintenance----in person with real mechanics and time set aside for those eager enough to try things like changing their own tires etc. Simple things if you've grown up doing such things, kinda daunting if you never had exposure to such learning experiences.

When women came into my body shop I spent far, far more time acquainting them with the shop, the tools we used, in general sharing how their vehicle would be repaired. Part of that introduction was how their car would be painted, explained how I would guarantee paint matching in writing on their estimate---no other shop at the time in the entire county would make such an offer.

I'd go one step more and reveal the "secret" to it all, even show them a car where a paint blending technique had been used. Naturally they'd ask where I did it on that car, I'd answer if their eye couldn't pick it out didn't that show how good we were? I lost very, very few of those potential jobs based upon quality alone.

Some men might shy away from a woman's curiosity about something but I've never sacrificed a thing simply answering their questions. Like most any other person how someone answers an honest question is considered as much as the answer itself---my shop did well because of this.

Oddly enough those shops who'd ask where a woman's husband was when they presented a vehicle for repair lost more and more work to shops like mine. Such shops failed to realize they were dealing with professional, educated & well paid women working in arenas that touched upon engineering skills most shop owners/technicians didn't possess. Talk down to such a person and you've lost them as a customer.

Thankfully today that sort of easily dismissing someone based upon anything other than their ability and willingness to pay for top notch work done has long ago disappeared. Even 36 years later I'm still dealing with women but in the big truck business-- they receive same service---sometimes a bit better---than their male colleagues because I know they're been slightly mistreated by others in their dealings in vehicle service.

So yeah AnnieO is cute as a dickens, all women deserve equal treatment but jackasses exist everywhere which is why we have shoes--we can walk in AND out equally well when its warranted.

And BTW may we all enjoy happy motoring in whatever we're driving!
Old 07-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #67

I've had all kinds of bad experiences happen to me in my life, but it never occurred to me that it was "just because I am a man". Assuming that your money is just as good as anyone's, I doubt that "sexism" was an issue to the sale.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:43 PM   #68

InAlso I went to mention I never would have bought this E350 van it wasn't for my girlfriend.
I lost my wife to cancer three years ago after 27 years....I never thought twice about having a van except for work.
my girlfriend brought it up and maybe we can do camping or something and I figured you know what.... I got to do something different.
So one day driving down the road she yelled out when we where passing towing yard you could only see for one second on a side street as we passed... She said
" THERE'S A BIG ASS WHITE VAN WITH A FOR SALE SIGN ON THAT SIDE STREET TURN AROUND!!!"
SO.... I went to the towing yard and it was an E350 cargo extended cab diesel 7.3 ..ex Maytag" fleet vehicle that had off-road rims tires and a hardwood floor installed in it with some insulation... Nothing fancy but they were asking $3500.00...
(So she talked to the owner she does that kind of thing...lol) and I drove it away for 3k.!

In the next month I was offered 7 & 8 k for it.
It's loud... It's stinky.... It's huge, can't see a thing out of it..lol
But she cleaned up real nice, I'm putting a 3-4 inch lift on it, mud terrains I'm going to trim out the interior for a easily convertible work/ weekend adventure van.
nothing fancy it's going to be "old school" tilt down trays on the doors with a Coleman stove etc.. I'm going to build a fold-down bed. My biggest goal is to salvage a working AC system out of an abandoned RV/trailer... El cheapo style..... Or just buy a small (USED) single axle travel long as it's got a shower. I seen a few killer deals on these 14 foot single axles sometimes as low as $1,500 but I'm always a day late and a dollar short...lol I've talked to a couple used trailer shops and they say the small single axles are the hottest thing going when they get him in there usually gone before they hit their lot.

I'm going to do it though!!
And when I do I'll post some pictures to share with everybody
Old 07-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #69

If what happened to you is "Sexism" as you refer to it that falls right into line with what's happening in the rest of America the last couple of months.

Welcome to the "New World"!

How do ya like it NOW?

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
Old 07-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #70

I’m sorry you had such a horrible experience! As a father to two daughters, that would absolutely infuriate me.

With that being said, I just decided this morning to part ways with my 2006 E350 SMB. I purchased it pre-owned with Lynn’s help from Sportsmobile. I haven’t even posted it yet to the Classifieds on this forum, going to do so later this evening. But feel free to DM me if you’d like the details and I’d be happy to share with you, regardless of if this is the one for you. I’m in Los Angeles btw.

-Mike
Closed Thread