Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #1

Angry Sexism and Sportsmobiles

Hi all. I am discouraged as I've been trying to buy a Sportsmobile for quite some time now, but am getting a feeling that some dudes just don't want to sell to me. Here's my latest quandary:

There was a really nice EB based in Grass Valley that is advertised on the Sportsmobile website. I live in the PNW, but like with most that come on the market, one has to fly to see/buy it. I talked to the guy several times, and was super excited of the possibility of finally owning one before my kids graduate (which is next year for one, unfortunately.)

I was second in line to see it, since the first couple passed on it. The owner said that he would honor his word and give me the next chance to see it. I was planning on flying down asap, and called him this morning (Saturday) like he asked me to, and when I was speaking about my flight, he interrupted me and said "I already accepted an offer" and HUNG UP ON ME. An old man hung up on me. He didn't even give me a chance to counter offer, or let me know someone else is interested. I am paying with cold hard cash, too. I tried calling back, but he wouldn't pick up, so I left him a message and berated him for lying and going back on his word. I was appalled that he turned out to be such a mean and dishonorable person. Took me a while to pick my jaw up off of the floor.

This is just another crappy experience I've had with trying to get a van though this website. I'm at a loss, I don't understand. My kids are going to be gone before I can get one. Am I the only woman out there struggling to get one? I am just so bummed and hurt.

Thanks for reading, and for any support or advice you can offer.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #2

I'm sorry for your experience so far. If it were me, I'd have no problem selling my van to a man or a woman. And if getting kids out camping and part of the equation then even better. Keep at it. There are lots of losers in the world and some of them have vans.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #3

Really bummed to read about your experience.

From my experience with selling vans I have never had an issue with who was buying. I would hope this was just a rare occurrence in your case. There have been guys who have shared situations where a seller has not honored their word. That being said we are in a very, very weird time and people are reacting/acting (what I hope is) abnormally.

What are the parameters around what you are looking for? Maybe you have posted a "Looking for" thread already. There are lots of really good people on this forum willing to help.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #4

Garage
There are ******** in all walks of life. Sorry to hear your path intersected with his. No point in complaining, just move on and you will find a better van at a better deal.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #5

Just curious as to what led you to believe this was because you are a woman? Not saying it’s not the case, but it sounds like a case of a jerk seller, possibly nothing more. SMBs sell quickly, especially if underpriced, and sellers often get deluged with lots of tire kickers asking tons of questions, which can get frustrating. When I sold my SMB a few months ago I had quite a few people asking me SO many questions, and only one of those people ever made an offer.

Again, not to say you don’t have a valid point, and that the guy wasn’t a jerk. Just giving some context from the other side of the process.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #6

Btw, did you see this nice looking one in PNW? High miles but look good. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0967733103122/
Old 06-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
What are the parameters around what you are looking for? Maybe you have posted a "Looking for" thread already. There are lots of really good people on this forum willing to help.
I have already posted that I'm looking for one. Preferably an EB 50 layout with lower miles and nice components/interior.

I also forgot to mention I told the guy I would pay $5000 more than the asking price if someone else was interested in it. So the complete disregard of that offer (which most normal sellers would consider) was another huge indicator that he didn't want to sell to a woman. I hope he's ashamed of himself. I feel so defeated and disgusted, since what I'm looking for doesn't come on the market that often. But I'll forge on anyway.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #8

BrianW, I'm not a tire kicker, I have streamlined my questions (and with it not being a diesel and have bulletproofing questions, it's much more cut and dry), and offered $5000 more than the asking price pretty much from the get go, anticipating interest. He also said he was an honorable person and will cater to potential buyers the order the come in. I was #2. You do the math. He's a dishonorable seller AND a sexist a$$.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWschusser View Post
I told the guy I would pay $5000 more than the asking price.
FYI - this would be a huge red flag for me. This kind of up-front, over-the-asking price offer is a common tactic for scammers. This would be followed up by "I'll send you a bank check and then schedule a truck to pick it up". Truck shows up, but the bank check is invalid.

So... I wouldn't read too much into the reasons why the seller ghosted you. Plus, some people are just A-holes. And Bellingham is pretty much Seattle and everybody in Seattle "works for Antifa" so obviously you are just trying to steel his guns...

Was this particular van on the Sportsmobile Classified? Or the SMB forum "classifieds". Because the cost to list is so high on the official SMB page, I definitely get a sense of entitlement from some of the sellers there. On the contrary, most of the senior members here are pretty down-to-earth, but there's some bad neighbors in every community.

Anyways.... maybe you can link to your original wanted ad? I don't remember seeing it. Keep in mind that many of us only see the New Posts feed, so updating your post occasionally can help keep the tread visible.

Also, beware that you're in a LOT of competition right now, since domestic road-trips tourism is replacing normal summer vacation activities. So vamper vans and all RVs are selling very well right now. Good luck with your search!!!
Old 06-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
FYI - this would be a huge red flag for me. This kind of up-front, over-the-asking price offer is a common tactic for scammers. This would be followed up by "I'll send you a bank check and then schedule a truck to pick it up". Truck shows up, but the bank check is invalid.

So... I wouldn't read too much into the reasons why the seller ghosted you. Plus, some people are just A-holes. And Bellingham is pretty much Seattle and everybody in Seattle "works for Antifa" so obviously you are just trying to steel his guns...

Was this particular van on the Sportsmobile Classified? Or the SMB forum "classifieds". Because the cost to list is so high on the official SMB page, I definitely get a sense of entitlement from some of the sellers there. On the contrary, most of the senior members here are pretty down-to-earth, but there's some bad neighbors in every community.

Anyways.... maybe you can link to your original wanted ad? I don't remember seeing it. Keep in mind that many of us only see the New Posts feed, so updating your post occasionally can help keep the tread visible.

Also, beware that you're in a LOT of competition right now, since domestic road-trips tourism is replacing normal summer vacation activities. So vamper vans and all RVs are selling very well right now. Good luck with your search!!!
No, he knew I was serious. And I was about to bring a cashier's check and send him my flight info so he knew how serious I am. Lynn from the official SMB website knows I've been looking for a while as well. The ad was from there, the 2013 EB for $90,000. It's not letting me post a screen shot for some reason.

And thanks for the tip: I'll update my "ISO" post. It has been a while. But for anyone reading this, ISO EB 4x4, lower mileage, nice interior and componets/extras, 50 layout.
Closed Thread