Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #11

That's the shipping world unfortunately. Overrun by brokers getting in the middle and eating up the profits of the carriers and you, the customer.

I would keep checking there. There are owner/operators out there who need to move so they'll move cheap. Unfortunately most of the owner ops will only use their subscription load boards they use every day and not vary much. You can't post your need on those boards. That's where all the greedy brokers come in.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #12

Found a trailer than can handle 10000 lbs and a 3/4 ton truck to rent. Will cost me about $850 with gas to get there and back. Plan B. If the broker doesn't have a carrier lined up to pick it up by Wednesday, then canceling that order and picking it up myself.
Dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbark View Post
Found a trailer than can handle 10000 lbs and a 3/4 ton truck to rent. Will cost me about $850 with gas to get there and back. Plan B. If the broker doesn't have a carrier lined up to pick it up by Wednesday, then canceling that order and picking it up myself.

Don't forget properly rated straps/chains to secure the load. Are they included?

Herb
Old 08-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #14
tlg

Garage
Recommend these folks. Used by SMB North. We also used them to move our van from Virginia to Indiana. Ended up with an honest driver who as on time and on target. No issues whatsoever.

Logistics by Bontreger Inc.
1851 Bloomingdale Drive
Bristol, IN 46507
574-848-7699

Services: Transport vehicles: shuttle busses, ADA vans, ambulances and step vans. Wide loads - power only, park model homes 12' - 14' wide.
Areas Served: Continental U.S. & Canada
Old 08-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Be very careful. I rented a trailer factory rated at 14000 lbs for a 9500lb van, towed with a 1ton. It was very inadequate and the van ended up getting thrown partly off the trailer despite chain binders and ratchet straps. It's a miracle it wasn't totaled, someone hurt or worse. U-ship really sucked too and failed time after time. I finally found a guy with a gooseneck trailer and large truck on Craigs list. Even he was a little shady, and he raised his price $600 on pick up day because he said it was too heavy, despite my giving him photos and the weight. Be sure to ask for copies of insurance too. Best of luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #16

Have you looked at Uber Freight? I don’t know much about them, other than that they specialize in matching one-off loads with carriers.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:33 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
I would go this route as its probably the least problematic at least as far as getting the ball rolling.

As far as proper securing the van to the trailer maybe contact U-Haul or other similar business who rent such equipment. I'd use 4 heavy duty 3" woven wheel straps and winch cables at the front and rear to further stabilize the van on the trailer.

Good luck with this---hope it all goes perfectly whichever way you choose to go.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #18

Any ideas for a good overseas shipping company? Sorry if it's been mentioned before but I couldn't find anything about it. I'm looking for a hotel for sale in Tenerife now and when I find a good one I want to move there and start my own business. I want to take my van with me but I can't trust any of these foreign shipping companies. Any help is much appreciated!
Edgardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgardo View Post
Any ideas for a good overseas shipping company? Sorry if it's been mentioned before but I couldn't find anything about it. I'm looking for a hotel for sale in Tenerife now and when I find a good one I want to move there and start my own business. I want to take my van with me but I can't trust any of these foreign shipping companies. Any help is much appreciated!
These guys were at BC Overland Rally and assisted with shipping your rig world wide. They are based out of Vancouver, BC World Cargo | International Shipping Company
Old 08-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post

As far as proper securing the van to the trailer maybe contact U-Haul or other similar business who rent such equipment. I'd use 4 heavy duty 3" woven wheel straps and winch cables at the front and rear to further stabilize the van on the trailer. :
I wasn't there, but I suspect in addition to inadequate tie downs, the combined weight of the trailer and van was more than the tow vehicle which contributed to the trailer trying to pass the tow vehicle.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote