Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 12:49 AM   #21

I can tell you from direct experience trying to tow SMB with a SMB with a 14000 trailer doesn't work. It's more than just the weight has to do with length and wheel spacing/location.
I had double chained and strapped and the van still moved when it started fishtailing.
Be carful if you go the tow it yourself route, and good luck.

dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #22

Great Company here. I have used them with Great Success.

Kansas Transit Express

https://www.facebook.com/Kansas-Tran...2072327149816/

204 E Main St
Glasco, Kansas 67445-9741
Get Directions

(785) 568-2103
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #23

I ship vehicles all the time. I am a member of Central Transport which is the website EVERYONE in the car shipping business uses to arrange vehicle transport. I can set up my own shipments however it's not worth the hassle. Even though I can I do not.

I use Joan @ Eclipse Trucking and have for the past 15 years to arrange my vehicle shipments. 800 207 3012. Joan is now a broker however SHE previously drove trucks and hauled cars. She knows what it's all about unlike most brokers. She is shipping 2 vehicles for me this week. 1 to California and 1 to Hilton Head Island.

My guess on your shipment of your SMB from Vegas to Denver being your van is now a "None Runner" which can make a big difference will be about $700-$800 give or take.

If you have not arranged shipment give Joan a call and see if she can help transport your SMB to Denver. Tell her Mike in Nashville suggested you call!

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #24

Wanted to provide an update and our experience. First the van is safely back in Colorado which provides a little peace of mind.

We started off listing the Van on Uship to get quotes and bids to ship it from Vegas to Denver. We quickly found that all of the bidders were brokers - no carriers or shippers were bidding on the van. We decided to book with a broker that had some good reviews. They were not hte cheapest. They were somewhat responsive to emails but would never return phone calls. After about 9 days, however, it was clear they could not perform and could not find a carrier, so we cancelled.

During that time I had also submitted a request for quote on some auto transport brokers. One was Road Runner Auto Transport. The person I dealt with their educated me about the industry and urged me to not go with Uship, etc. He explained that no carrier would actually haul the van given its size based on the prices quoted. He ended up being correct. His quote was a little higher but explained it was due to the size of the van. Totally made sense. As soon as I booked with them, they had a carrier lined up for a pickup 2 days later and a delivery date that met my expectations. The one mistake they made is they inadvertently listed it as a regular Econoline even though I sent dimensions and pictures. So the carrier that showed up could not haul. I contacted Road Runner and they started searching for a new carrier and immediately found one. That carrier picked it up an hour later and delivered it a day early (yesterday). Road Runner seemed very committed to the customer. You do wait on hold a long time, but they will call you back and are really good at responding to emails. I would use them again. I will never list with Uship.

We were able to go look at the van last night (we had it dropped off at the Ford dealership). The van looked as we had left it - really good shape other than the V10. Anyway, I will not use Uship in the future (but I hope I never have to ship my SMB again).
Dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #25
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Dbark thanks for the follow up and what's a good lead for future use. I myself don't own a SMB but do frequent this site so will subscribe here to use it as reference for those who may find themselves needing such services.

BTW please let us know how the engine repair/replacement goes--that too would be helpful.

Best of luck in this!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #26

Whenever i shipped my Sportsmobile/ Van or any other vehicle i done with Vehicle shipping companies. My first choice is citizenshipper after them i look at uShip. Both work similar way. Well i think it will be easiest and safest way to do so.
Other wise Renting a trailer and truck is always a option.
Heanmaxwell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM   #27

Sounds like you had a rough time trying to tow that Sportsmobile. Ain't no joke dealing with all that weight and length, especially when things start fishtailing. From their perspective, not so many companies are willing to ship those massive cars.
baladulga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:32 PM   #28

I'm a little late to the party, but I am an owner-operator of my own trucking company, specializing in heavy hauling with a removable gooseneck lowboy. I frequently carry loads that are 12' tall (14' loaded), up to 40+' long, 12+' wide, and in the range of 50-80,000 lbs. I'd be happy to help the van community as a carrier, if this topic comes up again.

Comments about the shipper-broker-carrier relationship are not wrong... but it's a peril of the business. Shippers connecting with carriers is difficult, ergo brokers exist and get their cut. Like many, I too work on Load Boards to find freight. Paying the middle-man is just a fact of life; without them, I wouldn't be in business.

If any member is seeking to move a big van, please feel free to contact me directly, or through the personal message boards on this site, although I'm infrequently logged in here lately. I hope it's not against admin policy for me to post my business info...

Hālen Transport
heavyhalen@gmail.com
MC 1559702
Old 02-12-2024, 09:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by baladulga View Post
Sounds like you had a rough time trying to tow that Sportsmobile. Ain't no joke dealing with all that weight and length, especially when things start fishtailing. From their perspective, not so many companies are willing to ship those massive cars.
I just wrote a long reply only to have it not post. If you need a van driven to a location I am still willing to do that at no charge for my time, just expenses, and know of at least 2 active members I did so for willing to offer references. I also own my own Sportsmobile. So if you need a van transported give me a call. 818 378 2758 Don
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:55 PM   #30

Man, towing a Sportsmobile with another Sportsmobile and a 14,000-pound trailer? That's a wild ride you were on. And it's true, it's not just about the weight, but also the length and wheel spacing that can throw things off balance.
I can totally relate to the struggle of trying to tow something hefty. When I had to move my own wheels, I thought about going the DIY route, too, but after hearing stories like yours, I decided to play it safe.
Ended up going with a third-party service. Let me tell ya, they made the whole process smooth sailing. If you're still scouting for options, give 'em a look at www.a1autotransport.com/california-ca/
Irabrest is offline   Reply With Quote