Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #21

Re: Shipping my van to the UK looking for some advice on par

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
As you may know, campers are similar but not the same over there, from propane/LPG fill adapters to especially the electrical system (your SMB 110v system won't be able to be used without significant adaptation).
To be clear: it is 240V 50Hz there!!!

The price of petrol is brutal. It is ~USD $8.35 per US gallon (at 130p per litre)

I would take stuff like serpentine belts, things that would be larger/expensive to ship like air filters etc.

As mentioned you definitely need to change the headlights etc.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #22

I can't find the old Ford instructions for separating the circuits.

Have you figured out how to take off the steering column shroud? That's the hardest part, but its really just 3 screws, and some other tricks. To take the ignition out, you turn it to RUN, then jamb a rod or skinny screwdriver into the hole below the ignition. You can then pull it out. Then move the shifter to "1", and you should be able to then shimmy out both upper and lower shrouds.

The brake wire at the turn signal switch should be light-green. Remove this wire, and your turn signals will stop working with the brakes. Then, tee into the connector at the 3rd brake light, and run those to the new brake light sockets.

Alternatives: You can also splice into the wires at the front turn signals, but that will require running more wire. I did this when I added my 7-way commercial trailer socket because I needed both setups. If you won't be towing, you can also jump the trailer-brake-controller plug by the parking brake pedal so the brake-light signal passes through to the 7-way connector at the rear bumper, or above the rear axle if you don't have the HD tow package. Then you can run wires from there to the lights, and lust leave the existing combined light sockets empty so to you can restore them later if desired.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC

To be clear: it is 240V 50Hz there!!!
Easy workaround: Upgrade to a UK AC-DC converter to charge batteries (wire only to shore power cord), and keep the interior 120v wired exclusively to an inverter power by the 12v system.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #24

Okay I'll give that a go thanks
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #25

I am driving my SMB in Germany (7.3 Diesel) and bought it from Arizona
I think all the regulations to get an homoligation here is all the same now in europe (theoretical).
If you are working for the army there are other regulations because than the vehicle has an army registration. Much easier!
I needed to switch lights in rear and front. You will need yellow flashlights here and they are should flash while braking. Also you will need "E" certified headlamps.
You also will need emmision papers for your rig. That should be no problem for your´s.
Off course you have to pass the mechanical check here....
No worry about this all. There are a lot of Econoline here ind Europe! Also to get parts here is no big deal. You can order it at o lot of onlineshops and get it after some days. BUT the price for it is much more than yours! TAX, Custom fee and shipping from US rise it up to the moon!

Think about it twice, if you do not have a very special van it is not worth ti import it to here. Econoline are very cheap here in europe because nobody like the big V8 for dayly use (price for gas and the registration tax is amazing high). So better buy one here. Maybe you can get than an right hand drive what makes sence if you will use it in UK. Or buy an europe van if you just need a van for transport without emotions

Do not forget.
add tax and custom fee (together about 30%) to the worth of your van including shipping costs. That is what they want to get from you before registration.....

Take care
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #26

Thought I would give you guys an update

I bribed an electrician friend of mine with beer and pizza this weekend and we tackled some of the lighting issues.

We sniped the brake wire connected the brakes to the turn signal lever. That was a super easy fix thanks for all your help with that carringb .We also added new turn signals to the side fenders of the van, we wired them to the front turn signals worked great. We also added rear fog lights as that seems to be a legal requirement in the UK, all we I did for that was bolt two lights through existing holes under the back bumper and added a light up switch to my dash as the rules state that you need some sort of dash light so you know when your fog lights are on. I hoping that will be be good enough to pass inspection.

Next I'm going to look at the front headlights. I know I need to change there direction but I'm going to wait until its over there. Dose anyone know why I have to change the bulbs is it because the are not bright enough or it it a color thing?

I'll try and get some photos of my progress up soon
Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Dose anyone know why I have to change the bulbs is it because the are not bright enough or it it a color thing?
Pattern. Slightly different from US-DOT pattern requirements.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Dose anyone know why I have to change the bulbs is it because the are not bright enough or it it a color thing?
Pattern. Slightly different from US-DOT pattern requirements.
Yes, that pesky LHD vs RHD thing!

I actually have some round headlights in a RHD car which are switchable RHD/LHD!

Old 03-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #29

Okay I see so as my van already has the work van style of lights am I right in thinking all I need to do is switch to h4 bulbs or is my electrician friend getting more beer and pizza
Old 03-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Okay I see so as my van already has the work van style of lights am I right in thinking all I need to do is switch to h4 bulbs or is my electrician friend getting more beer and pizza
No, the beam pattern is in the lens of the light. You need to swap the entire light assembly and bulbs if you didn't already have halogen bulbs to re-use.

I'd suggest some RHD e-code H4 Cibie or Hellas (200mm x 142mm). They're pretty easy to get over there (Halfords etc). I have a contact in the US who could get you some if you like. (he imports them).

It is like a 10 minutes job to swap them stopping for a beer.

They make stick on beam adjusters (stickers really) but they are only for temporary use going from UK to continent or vice versa.