Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #1

Shipping Van from TX to CA

I tried searching but the word 'shipping' is frequently used.

I am finalizing a deal on a van in Dallas and I want to get it shipped to San Francisco.

Anyone have direct contact with trucking companies that are NOT brokers?

Any personal experiences with shipping a big full size van?

I tried getting quotes and all I get are spam emails and false promises over the phone from brokers.

At this time I can't do a fly and drive back.

caideN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Sportsmobile Indiana (North) shipped mine to and from Oregon to get the 4x4 installed by Quadvan. You might call Nancy there and ask who she uses. I think you would want to use a broker that would find you a TRUSTWORTHY hauling vendor who is bonded and insured....there is also a website used for hauls that folks bid on loads posted...I'll haul the load for "X" dollars...as competing bids come in. I am not sure of the site name, but I know there are several out there. Good Luck!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #3

I can do the fly and drive for you if you can't find a shipper. I have done this two other times for members of the forum. just pay airfare and gas.
DIG
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Site Team

A few threads on shipping. The good, the bad, and the ugly;

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ions-1339.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...pped-6256.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...nver-5074.html

Herb
Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by caideN View Post
I am finalizing a deal on a van in Dallas and I want to get it shipped to San Francisco.
Back when SMB used to do the Atlas transfer cases 4x4, the work was done by SMB-W (Fresno) and shipped back east.

You might give them a call in Fresno and see who they used. I can remember seeing a E-350 4x4 on top of a truck that was going to Texas.

David
Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #6

PM user GCVT he just successfully shipped and EB SMB from Austin to CA earlier this year, I am sure he can tell you all about it.

Here is his thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ime-16679.html
Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #7

I can vouch for DIG driving it for you. He went above and beyond the call of duty driving a disaster I trustingly bought from a swindler in FL earlier this summer.

Which brings up a point: have you actually physically put eyes on the van you're buying? I would HIGHLY recommend you, or at least someone you trust, does before you make a deal. Caveat emptor...
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #8

Just PM'ed you caideN. DIG's son lives in TX so it's definitely a win-win. I'd have him drive another van for me anytime.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caideN View Post
Anyone have direct contact with trucking companies that are NOT brokers?

Any personal experiences with shipping a big full size van?

I tried getting quotes and all I get are spam emails and false promises over the phone from brokers.

At this time I can't do a fly and drive back.
The way it works is that the brokers all use a central database that jobs come up on. If you transport it just make sure you get the bonded hauler with the door to door price all inclusive, you will pay the broker his fee up front then the hauler on delivery after inspection. (Or at least that was the short version- I always assume there is more going on behind the scenes- Call me dubious! )

The transport company bids on a job (ie my van) then the broker who contacts you adds his 'fee'. You can tell the broker to negotiate with the hauler but of course it gets tedious. Although I thought I had researched hauling fees prior to buying my van, I had not read enough and it cost almost twice what I had planned for. At least I got a heads up on the scams from the dealer I purchased HellBetty from.

I fired one broker for being greedy when I realized he was adding a high $700 fee for sitting on the phone and feeding me bs about my route. So then apparently all the transporters had seen my job rate and I really could not get a much better price. He also tagged my job as being under contract when I had not actually signed off on his papers. Grr. Live and learn.

Either way I'm in agreement with steelhead about getting it inspected and preferably also a look over by an impartial contact. It was somewhat time consuming doing a remote buy due to time spent reaching out for out-of-state mechanics etc and my time online and phone lining up transport but it is what it is. I guess I did plenty of logistics at my job so not a huge deal to me.

If you don't take DIG up on his offer and still need a transport service I will look up the one I used and also the ones to avoid- I was happy with mine, he kept me informed during the entire contract period. Let me know if I can help!
Old 10-21-2016, 11:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
PM user GCVT he just successfully shipped and EB SMB from Austin to CA earlier this year, I am sure he can tell you all about it.

Here is his thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ime-16679.html
Hey, that's me!

I used All American Transport down in Burlingame (Auto Shippers | Auto Transport | Car Shipping | All American Trucking & Transport, Inc). I wanted to use a local company/broker in case anything went wrong. Call them and ask for Justin, the business manager. They had my van out here from Austin in three and a half days in perfect condition. I would not hesitate to use them again. Cost was $1,500 for the 1,800 mile trip. You'd be looking at the same distance.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote