Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Site Team

Side steps

Here's some inspiration for those of you looking for removable side steps. While Googling for military surplus fuel cans, I came across these removable side steps made for Pinzgauers. I can't see them working as-is for SMB's, but it's a very clever idea and look well made. Very nice, but the price isn't so nice at $260. Here's the website.

http://www.expeditionimports.zoovy.com/ ... MSTEP.html

Herb
Attached Thumbnails
step.jpg  

Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #2

Re: Side steps

I've got a set of Carr steps that I have not installed. I like the steps but feel the the factory brackets they come with to mount them are chincy. I have an idea to make new brackets for them that will allow them to be pushed up right against the body or lowered down into position very easily. This is project #80 or so on my list of things that I need to do to the SMB so it may be a while.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #3

Nice find!
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammyauto
I've got a set of Carr steps that I have not installed. I like the steps but feel the the factory brackets they come with to mount them are chincy. I have an idea to make new brackets for them that will allow them to be pushed up right against the body or lowered down into position very easily. This is project #80 or so on my list of things that I need to do to the SMB so it may be a while.
I modified my Carr steps to do that. If you install the outer bolt with a self-locking nut and leave it slightly loose, the step can pivot on that bolt. The inner bolt will be installed in a hole above the back of the step - in my case, I had to mill a small groove in the step to get the step to the position I wanted. The steps (brackets) were a little flexible, so I added a support bar from the back bolt (step stop) to the underside of the floor.

Now the steps can pivot up, either by hand or when the van comes down on an obstacle, yet they stay in any position I put them in.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #6

I knew that was coming. All I need is to borrow a digital camera and crawl under the van. Maybe later this week.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #7

I have some pictures in my album. Since I just had a problem putting pictures in another post, I'll just let you go to the album to check them out - then you can come back here and ask me questions the pictures don't answer.

The front steps (both driver's side and passenger side) are solid and stable, just the step by the side barn doors needed the bracing. Otherwise, it flexed when stepped on.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 02-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #8

My album shows steps I made. They will fold against the body if they hit something. They bolt to the body lip just as the Carr steps do but I reinforced the body lip with 1" angle both in front and behind. The front piece runs the length of the step. Behind each mount bolt is a 4" vertical piece of 1" angle that actually transfers the downward force from stepping on the step to upward pressure on the van floor. There is very little flex with all of this support.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
Here's my feeling on sliders and steps. I am more interested in the step portion - kind of like the sliders by Slee Offroad that I almost got for my Tacoma - scroll down a bit for photos:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/tac ... liders.htm

They are true sliders, but they provide a nice, running board type of functionality. I like that.

I have done a lot of off-roading, but I don't rock crawl much, so I have gotten away with no damage. Hence, I don't really want to add the extra weight - and every pound counts - of sliders if I don't get a good step from the, for me and the dog.

Based on all this, you might say, why not get some cheap, non-slider running boards? Because I cannot bear to.

So my thing would be to get something like the slee step sliders if I could have them fabbed up. Slee, if you didn't notice, charges an arm and a leg for theirs.
Those are actually very nicely designed, and for as much thought, and undoubtedly trial and error, as went into them, I think they are fairly priced. Similar Ford van based ones would probably have to stick out farther due to the curvature of the van body, and would have to be longer to account for the wheelbase.

Herb
Old 01-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #10

I agree, Herb, and if I could get them for a van, I'd pay. There's another thread going - I had mistakenly posted here when I'd meant to post there - about people getting together to have some sliders built as a group buy. I doubt they would be like those, though.

Maybe I'll send Slee an email just for the hell of it.