Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #11

Joanna--Don't feel bad. I also feel like I'm reading Chinese when I go over the manual 80 times a day...I'm still learning what all the switches are and what they operate. The Starcool system had me stumped for awhile, too. Claire

ccgonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmocken
The starcool is electric, your alternator has to generate power and transmit it to the starcool. In those 3 steps you lose efficiency.
- The main compressor is belt driven and the most efficient menthod to cool your SMB

Based on this, the starcool should only be used when necessary or on shore power with the engine off.
Marty I was told the problem is that the coolant (whatever it is these days) is used by both systems. If you don't run the starcool while using the front AC the starcool seems to hog the coolant (even if its off) and the front stock system and ducts gets warmer up front. Turn the starcool on for a while and the front gets back to normal. I thought there was something wrong but it was me.

On a side note, I had the stock AC loose coolant due to a leak. The starcool ran fine and the front failed. It had SMB scratching their head. I asked about a check valve and did find one so that can happen.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #13

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
That certainly makes sense, I was strickly thinking of the cost to run the A/C. Efficiency is a who different matter.

It is also a matter of location. If you are the only person in the SMB, then I would only use the engine A/C....unless it gets too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmocken
The starcool is electric, your alternator has to generate power and transmit it to the starcool. In those 3 steps you lose efficiency.
- The main compressor is belt driven and the most efficient menthod to cool your SMB

Based on this, the starcool should only be used when necessary or on shore power with the engine off.
Marty I was told the problem is that the coolant (whatever it is these days) is used by both systems. If you don't run the starcool while using the front AC the starcool seems to hog the coolant (even if its off) and the front stock system and ducts gets warmer up front. Turn the starcool on for a while and the front gets back to normal. I thought there was something wrong but it was me.

On a side note, I had the stock AC loose coolant due to a leak. The starcool ran fine and the front failed. It had SMB scratching their head. I asked about a check valve and did find one so that can happen.
DaveB

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #14

This brings me full circle.
95% of the time, it's only me in the van here in the high heat of the Rio Grande Valley. So, it sounds like the accepted wisdom is that to cool the van effectively (disregarding the drop in mpg), the starcool should be on whenever you run the dash AC. Correct?
Finally, let me turn the question around: is it OK to run the starcool without the dash AC while driving?
Thanks for your patience.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #15

A/C

Yes, for the Starcool III, you do want the Starcool blower operating on "low, med, or high" whenever the dash A/C is "on".
The Starcool will not cool with the engine running unless the dash A/C is "on".
The Starcool will cool without the engine running from an adequate 110 volt power source.

Thanks,
John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #16

Whew! I think I've got it!
92 degrees at 10 am.
Thanks to everyone.