Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #1

Since we're all thinking about milage,

does the use of Starcool while driving affect miles per gallon?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
I would guess so...but,

I would guess so... but it would be solely because you'll have the regular A/C on as well. I think I read in the manual that you're supposed to have the Starcool on while you have the van A/C on. Supposedly it takes the load off the van's A/C. And i'm also guessing that if you change the refrigerant on the Van's A/C - that should handle both. I don't have any scientific evidence on it though. Do you guys always run both together?

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #3

I've been driving with the dash AC only. Now what? Always both? Ever just the Starcool when driving? I was just wondering if you only used the Starcool when in motion, it might not decrease mpg.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to 2much8ntenough
John K on the issue from a previous discussion, hope it's helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kalmbach
For clarification on the Starcool switch/Starcool operation. It is good to have the Starcool Blower switch set to "low, med, or high", so that you can operate the Starcool Evaporator without getting out of the driver's seat using the "on/off" rocker switch being discusssed. I would not however, recommend leaving the Thermostat set to "cool" as you could inadvertently place the inverter in an overload condition, or restrict the flow of refrigerant to the dash Evaporator.

Remember that the Thermostat, when switched to "cool", will only control the 110volt Starcool compressor, the lower Starcool Condenser Fan, and the Starcool Solenoid valve. The Thermostat has nothing to do with operating the Starcool Evaporator while using the engine driven compressor. It is very important to have the Starcool Blower switched to at least "low" whenever operating the dash A/C so that proper refrigerant balance between the systems is maintained. If you forget to turn the Starcool Blower "on", you'll notice the temperature of the air coming out of the dash vents getting progressively warmer.

I have seen times when a Factory Ford fuse that is suppose to provide 12 volt "ignition on" power to the Starcool Relay Plate be bad, thereby allowing the Starcool Solenoid Valve to close whenever the Thermostat is set to "cool". If this happens, you will have no refrigerant going to the dash Evaporator and will not get any cooling out of the dash vents, but you will get cooling out of the Starcool Evaporator.

Also, if you leave the Thermostat set to "cool" you can overload the Inverter. Let's say you're using the inverter with the engine running and the Starcool is "on". If the Thermostat is set to "cool", then when you turn the engine "off", the Starcool Compressor will try to operate through the Inverter and most likely send it into an overload mode. This could be avoided if you turn the "on/off" rocker switch "off" first, but you may not always remember.

Jage, sorry for taking this to another level, but you know how I like to give as much info as possible. Please move it wherever you feel it needs to be.

John K.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #5

Hmm.
This is going to take some study. Much of this vocabulary is confounding to me.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Jonna the star cool system I have (2006) uses the coolant from the stock system (it's tied together). If you don't turn on the starcool while driving and running the vehicles air conditioner, it will not get enough coolant up front to keep it working at a full percentage. It doesn't matter if the starcool is on high, medium, or low. It just has to be on and that is why the switch is close to the driver. Just keep the switch "on" in the back of the van to one of the settings and use the by the switch by the drivers head to operate it conjunction with your van A/C system. As far as fuel savings any A/C system will pull a load on the motor. But Myth Busters did something on this a few years back and if I remember correctly there was little savings on fuel with the air off. I would be more worried about heating up the motor when its hot out, but this also has not been a problem for me. The thermostat part is about using it on shore power. You should keep the thermostat in the off position unless on shore power. I have been told that the compressor for the shore power section of the starcool is a complete different unit that is designed to work off shore power not the inverter. If its "on" because you left the thermostat in the on position and the air temp turns it on, when disconnecting from shore power it will try to work through your inverter which is too much for most inverters. At least thats how I took it. Hope this isn't more confusing
Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #7

Dave,
Thanks for the English to English translation!
So, if I'm on shore power, I can use the Starcool by putting the thermostat to cool, the blower to low, medium or high and flipping the switch on behind the driver's seat.
When driving, if I'm going to use the dash air, the thermostat should be off, the blower switch set to low, medium or high and the on/off switch behind the driver always on.
When driving, never run the dash air without the Starcool as well.
Is that correct?
I've been driving without the Starcool but with the dash for months and sometimes I've experienced what John K. has described, warm air coming through the vents. How can I know if I've damaged anything?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #8

Since sportsmobile does not install starcool anymore
its a moot question unless you already own a sportsmobile.

to someone looking to build one it won't matter

gerry
Old 05-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #9

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
The starcool is electric, your alternator has to generate power and transmit it to the starcool. In those 3 steps you lose efficiency.
- The main compressor is belt driven and the most efficient menthod to cool your SMB

Based on this, the starcool should only be used when necessary or on shore power with the engine off.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #10

gerry, I do own a Sportsmobile with Starcool which is why I am asking.