Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #11

Ok. That Range Rover is heavy enough, and is brick-shaped enough, that it'll certainly be a noticeable load. I'm not even sure you'd be able to hold OD in all conditions with 4.10 gears. So, if it's just a one-time deal, even cross-country, I'd just leave the gears as-is and lockout OD. I'd probably budget for about 10 MPG. You might hit 12 if conditions are ideal but it seems like the headwinds always come from the direction you're going....

For a tuner, I think DP is still the go-to for 7.3L Econolines. You won't want to add much power, but ask a towing tune so that it will keep the trans from hunting, and will keep the torque converter locked up more. The downside of any tune is you'll have to watch your EGTs a little closer, especially if you don't open up the exhaust first.

If you haven't already done so, I definitely recommend a Tru-Cool max transmission cooler. Since you have the ScanGauge, you should be able to use an X-code to monitor transmission temps.

Also, do you have a braking system for the RR? The 7.3L does not have anywhere close to the engine-braking of a modern diesel, or even the the V10.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #12

Don't have a diesel van... but I was lurking on one of the threads floating around here recently about people with 7.3's & tuners...

It sounded like there was a little bit of unrest with DP(Surging, unburnt fuel), and that the guys who had gone with power hungry performance were thrilled. Not saying one way over the other, just stating an observation. I'll link the thread if I can find it.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ner-17192.html
Old 01-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
Don't have a diesel van... but I was lurking on one of the threads floating around here recently about people with 7.3's & tuners...

It sounded like there was a little bit of unrest with DP(Surging, unburnt fuel), and that the guys who had gone with power hungry performance were thrilled. Not saying one way over the other, just stating an observation. I'll link the thread if I can find it.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ner-17192.html

Thanks for the info and the link.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:59 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Ok. That Range Rover is heavy enough, and is brick-shaped enough, that it'll certainly be a noticeable load. I'm not even sure you'd be able to hold OD in all conditions with 4.10 gears. So, if it's just a one-time deal, even cross-country, I'd just leave the gears as-is and lockout OD. I'd probably budget for about 10 MPG. You might hit 12 if conditions are ideal but it seems like the headwinds always come from the direction you're going....

For a tuner, I think DP is still the go-to for 7.3L Econolines. You won't want to add much power, but ask a towing tune so that it will keep the trans from hunting, and will keep the torque converter locked up more. The downside of any tune is you'll have to watch your EGTs a little closer, especially if you don't open up the exhaust first.

If you haven't already done so, I definitely recommend a Tru-Cool max transmission cooler. Since you have the ScanGauge, you should be able to use an X-code to monitor transmission temps.

Also, do you have a braking system for the RR? The 7.3L does not have anywhere close to the engine-braking of a modern diesel, or even the the V10.

I will probably suck it up and go for the stock 245 size for now. Then upgrade later when the 4x4 is installed with the 17" wheels and a regear for those. Plus a bunch of other stuff...

I do not have the upgraded cooler yet. I do however have the deeper trans pan with cooling tubes in it. It actually works quite well and have not seen temps above 180 yet, even going up the grapevine in CA fully loaded but not towing. I had the transmission fully rebuilt and completely upgraded with all the good bits and the transfer case. So, I have a 2wd with low range for now.

Currently researching all of the flat tow stuff for my Rover... This rabbit hole is deep.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
Old 01-28-2020, 04:01 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Dokaman you're probably already ahead of me on this but if flat towing your RR make sure it can be safely done. The typical Ford van can NOT be flat towed as it causes transmission damage. The solution is dropping the drive shaft during the tow.

I know nothing of RR's but do a bit of research on flat towing one. Of course I'm assuming your RR has an automatic transmission? If full manual disregard all this.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Dokaman you're probably already ahead of me on this but if flat towing your RR make sure it can be safely done. The typical Ford van can NOT be flat towed as it causes transmission damage. The solution is dropping the drive shaft during the tow.

I know nothing of RR's but do a bit of research on flat towing one. Of course I'm assuming your RR has an automatic transmission? If full manual disregard all this.
Thanks for that note. I am planning to pull my drivelines to not put any stress on anything. However I am planning to talk to my Rover tech to confirm if that is necessary.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #17

As long as your Range Rover is old enough to have NEUTRAL in the transfer case, you can flat tow it. No modifications, no distance limitations. The newer ones with Terrain Select cannot be flat-towed. Just make sure you account for any towed miles in your T-Case oil-change intervals.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
Thanks for the replies and information. This is such a stupid issue.

One more question about the 265/75/16 tires. With 3.55 gears and a 7.3l, would that hose my MPGs or towing? I plan on 4.10 gears with 285s when the 4x4 conversion happens. Hoping to do a long road trip towing a range rover this summer.

I use 285s with 4.10 gear ratio on a 7.3 Ford E350. With the standard 4 speed automatic, you're going to turn around 1800 at 55-60. To keep fuel economy, you need to keep it under 2000RPMs. I use a gear vendor overdrive so that I can cruise at 70 at 1700, and I get 13-14 without towing, 11-13 towing.
MaineWildlands is offline   Reply With Quote