Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 12:05 AM   #1

Garage
Slashed tires... now looking for options

Hello Vanners,

I just had the privilege of having two of my tires slashed last night. 2001 E350 with stock 16" 8x6.5 and 245/75/16 tires. I have been holding off on upgrading tires due to getting the 4x4 conversion done in the future. however, now I have a big flat mess and need to make it moveable.

Located in Portland OR

Some questions...

-Anyone have a set of take offs that they do not need?

-Possibly a single spare to borrow for a week or so?

-If I do buy new tires, have any of you ran the 265/75/16 on a stock ride hight E-series?
Attached Thumbnails
C3A03761-CE93-4CF1-B9BA-33E0802DA2AA.jpg  

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Wow---sucks to have this happen---was it revenge or just a bad luck crime spree?

Not sure if this helps but here's a few images of what I think you're asking---a friends totally stock unloaded E250 with 265's:

https://imgur.com/a/XBO1tHX?grid

The tires are a bit too close to the body for me but during normal driving they should perform well enough.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #3

Pick n pull usually has a bunch of Eseries vans and racks of cheap tires.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #4

245s are stock size on sprinter vans. I just picked up a spare for cheap that a guy was selling off his sprinter.

Also, 265s are a nice upsize and will fit on a stock van. They fit on mine. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3304.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	31501
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:15 AM   #5

265 Yoko Geolanders fit on our prior van at stock height with a bit of rub at the plastic bumper skirt and rear sheet metal. Plastic was an easy trim. Metal was rolled with a piece of wood and a smaller sledge hammer. Hopefully you find a great set of tires, 245 or 265 cheap or free.

Sorry to read you experienced this. Situation is bad in lots of places. We are getting ready to start our six week IKON Pass ski excursion and have some worries about how we will be received in some ski resorts. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Wow---sucks to have this happen---was it revenge or just a bad luck crime spree?

Not sure if this helps but here's a few images of what I think you're asking---a friends totally stock unloaded E250 with 265's:

https://imgur.com/a/XBO1tHX?grid

The tires are a bit too close to the body for me but during normal driving they should perform well enough.

HTH
Just a random thing... three teenage girls came through and smashed a building window, slashed my van and another, stole mail, and burned a flag of some sort.

Thanks for the info on the bigger tires!
Old 01-26-2020, 12:09 AM   #7

Garage
Wow, that’s terrible. I’m sorry to hear of this, especially so close to home.

I ran 265’s prior to my Agile conversion. No problems whatsoever. They were KO2’s.

Best of luck, wish I had something to offer you.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:42 AM   #8

Garage
Thanks for the replies and information. This is such a stupid issue.

One more question about the 265/75/16 tires. With 3.55 gears and a 7.3l, would that hose my MPGs or towing? I plan on 4.10 gears with 285s when the 4x4 conversion happens. Hoping to do a long road trip towing a range rover this summer.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
Old 01-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
Thanks for the replies and information. This is such a stupid issue.

One more question about the 265/75/16 tires. With 3.55 gears and a 7.3l, would that hose my MPGs or towing? I plan on 4.10 gears with 285s when the 4x4 conversion happens. Hoping to do a long road trip towing a range rover this summer.
With your raised roof, 265's might put you at the tipping point where you'll no longer be able to hold OD at all times on the highway, especially with a stiff headwind. Unless you have a tuner. Then you'll probably be ok.

How much are you towing? This will almost certainly keep you out of overdrive, and even if it wants to stay in that gear, I'd recommend just locking it out so you don't overheat the trans. Again, situation might be different if you have a tuner. But stock, the programming wants to unlock the torque converter a lot to make steadier HP, rather than keeping it locked for cooler operating temps.

Basically, if it's "hunting" (downshifting to hold speed than upshifting again shortly after speed is recovered) or unlocking the TC frequently, just lock it out.

Under ideal conditions (flats with a tailwind or downhill) you'll be a little better MPG wise. But once you need more HP than it makes in overdrive, than you'll be burning more than now.

Don't forget to compensate your speed for the taller tires. I think your van requires doing the speed-sensor gear swap in the trans to correct it (or adding a pulse converter), or just run a correct factor in your ScanGauge or data-monitor of choice. 265's would be rolling 8% slower than the stock 225s.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
With your raised roof, 265's might put you at the tipping point where you'll no longer be able to hold OD at all times on the highway, especially with a stiff headwind. Unless you have a tuner. Then you'll probably be ok.

How much are you towing? This will almost certainly keep you out of overdrive, and even if it wants to stay in that gear, I'd recommend just locking it out so you don't overheat the trans. Again, situation might be different if you have a tuner. But stock, the programming wants to unlock the torque converter a lot to make steadier HP, rather than keeping it locked for cooler operating temps.

Basically, if it's "hunting" (downshifting to hold speed than upshifting again shortly after speed is recovered) or unlocking the TC frequently, just lock it out.

Under ideal conditions (flats with a tailwind or downhill) you'll be a little better MPG wise. But once you need more HP than it makes in overdrive, than you'll be burning more than now.

Don't forget to compensate your speed for the taller tires. I think your van requires doing the speed-sensor gear swap in the trans to correct it (or adding a pulse converter), or just run a correct factor in your ScanGauge or data-monitor of choice. 265's would be rolling 8% slower than the stock 225s.

This is great information, thank you!

I will be flat towing an old Range Rover with gear in it, maybe 6k pounds. I will have to check its weight to confirm. I do have a scan gauge but no tuner. What do you recommend for a tuner? Maybe that is best answered in a pm...