Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #1

Sleep on roof rack / collapsible railing question

Anyone implemented collapsing railing for the roof rack / roof deck?

This post and the attached pic (randomly online-- can't find source) inspired the question.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...o-11812-2.html

I'm getting Colorado Camper Van to install a rack on my poptop with expanded metal, and literally my only use for the rack will be to look at the stars, etc. In case we want to sleep up there, I thought a railing a little higher than the typical basket rails would give me some comfort (for something already really dangerous).

This guy's hammock supports are obviously collapsible, so I thought about a collapsible railing, hinged at the corners, that would be maybe 10 inches when upright. The benefit is I could lower the railing 95% of the time and have less added height than the standard basket.

Any experience with something like this?

And anyone have experience sleeping up there? (when the pop top is down of course).
Attached Thumbnails
hammock.jpg  

scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #2

There are a million ways you could make mounts. I'd just talk to CCV and see what they recommend and are comfortable welding up for you.

Given the weight the mounts need to support I'd assume the rack would be fine. That said I'm not sure what CCV's pop top can handle weight wise.
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks-- I've spoken to CCV about handling the weight of a couple of people walking around up there, and they are comfortable with that.

What I'm contemplating is the fabrication of four hinged uprights (one at each corner), and four rails (one one each side). I don't think they would in themselves add much weight (especially if aluminum), so assuming the CCV-installed rack can handle the weight, I just need to build the railing.

Just thinking, like everything else on here, somebody's done this before.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Thanks-- I've spoken to CCV about handling the weight of a couple of people walking around up there, and they are comfortable with that.

What I'm contemplating is the fabrication of four hinged uprights (one at each corner), and four rails (one one each side). I don't think they would in themselves add much weight (especially if aluminum), so assuming the CCV-installed rack can handle the weight, I just need to build the railing.

Just thinking, like everything else on here, somebody's done this before.
oh! sorry, I thought CCV was doing this fabrication as well.

How high of a railing are you thinking? the hammock uprights are easy, and for sure some square tube on a sizable bolt (so it rotates) would be plenty.
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:36 PM   #5

Observation deck, intended for race trailers:

Check this out

https://bit.ly/2As5Kvz
Old 02-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #6

Excellent. Will see if i can get more pics of that.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #7

Hi guys,
Could someone give me contact info fo CCV? I’m in Colorado but have no idea where this place is, nor what they can do!
Please? And Thanks,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #8

Scuba,
I’m wondering approximately where you are, so I’d have some idea of where to start looking for CCV? I’m in or near the Canon City area. Am hoping they can help with some of my projects while I can still afford them? Like putting in a new
( or used) Propane Generator, heater if at all possible. The spaces are all there...but previous owner had the entire thing removed!
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #9

Garage
Colorado Camper Van:
https://www.coloradocampervan.com/
1531 E 11th St., Loveland, CO 80537

info@coloradocampervan.com
hours: M-F 8-5

***Certainly would call to inquire if they do the types of projects you have interest in.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:31 PM   #10

Why even hassle with flip ups. The rack I made for my van had square tubing to accept removable kayak and surf board racks. It is hard to see but the pass side the 1.25" tubing is welded to receive drop in 1' tubing on the driver side they are on the outside. I drilled holes for keepers but never needed them You can make short hospital bed type rails that you can slide in at night. They can lay flat on the rack or custom under rack slide in.
Attached Thumbnails
Van Rack Canopy.jpg   Van Front 1 .jpg   Van Rack Loaded.jpg  
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote