Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #1

SMB 2007 or wait for the 2008

So here is the deal, on an earlier post I posed the question regarding AC or no AC. I thought that they were not installing the 6.0 in the 08’s but talking to SMB they have them on order with the 6.0 not the 6.4 due to limitations on the 08. The new body style and upgrades to brakes etc seem to make it worth waiting for a 08 with the additional cost of only 1600$ I hate to wait but having the new body style might add value at a latter date. I think the new body looks better not so dated.??

Old 08-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Team

I know the body is changing, but how much else is? It's a good question to ask, because SMB may have to re-engineer some of their modifications to accomodate Ford redesigns. At that point you have a learning curve that I wouldn't want to be at the beginning of. Don't get me wrong, there have been numerous other changes that SMB's had to adapt to, but it's something to be aware of ahead of time.

If Ford is upgrading the brakes, that's a good thing, though as far as I know I have stock brakes and they work fine in my opinion. It's a truck. I'd love better brakes, but I think they're alright. I do think my conversion is probably a little lighter than most, since I have little cabinetry.

FWIW, I don't really care for the new front end body, though I can see your point about newer looking = more valuable down the road. My unsolicited $0.02

Herb
Old 08-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #3

Garage
While I don't like the design of most cars, I think the new vans front view looks like the south end of a horse going north.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Site Team

I think they're going for brand identity, making the vans look more like the newer F-series Superdutys. Frankly, I think they made the newer F-series SuperDutys look like the F-150, which I don't think was a good idea. But then again, that's why Ford is so succesful, ooops, they're not in bankruptcy yet...

Herb
Old 08-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #5

Am I just making excuses for not buy a SMB. first the AC issue now I think that maybe I need the 2008. I wish that these thing were not so expensive, it would make it allot easier.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #6

You know I spent way more than I set out to, bought used, and have had nearly a dozen problems- however I'm really happy with it and so is my wife.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #7

http://autos.yahoo.com/ford_truck_e_ser ... uper_duty/

fyi

6.0 v8 in the 2008

noticed that there is NO frontal view of the van...i have seen a prototype but don't know if anything definitive yet,
also, curious as to any other definitive major upgrades or changes
Old 08-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
Site Team

When my wife and I started planning on SMB build, we purely lucked out and got a great deal on a used SMB. Wasn't quite what we wanted, but we couldn't pass it up. We since had it modified into more of what we want (but not exactly), and still came out far ahead of where we'd be if we bought new. We were planning all sorts of compromises due to cost on a new one, and ended up with a far better equipped van by buying ours used.

I'd say keep planning you new build, but keep checking for a used one that meets your needs.

Herb
Old 08-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #9

I gotta say I hate the new front end as well. Maybe aluminess will come up with a complimentary bumper...
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
From what I understand, the only sheetmetal changes are from the door pillars forward, and that seems to have been done for two reasons 1) to accomodate the F Series grill and 2) to possibly fit the 6.4L diesel in the future. This should mean that there will be no need for any design changes at SMB.

I agree that the new brakes sound good.

We have a 2008 on order.... so we wait.

Greg in Austin
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote