Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #11

Hope I am not steeping on anyone's thread.
I have a steering question: issue
I had my 2003 E350 SMB 4X4 Quigley front end alignment....drove out on a trip and for the second time the steering wheel is not at 3 and 9 but 11 and 5. The tires tract straight yet the steering wheel is tilted.
What can cause this? Is there something other than an alignment issue. I need so facts etc before I return to the shop.

HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:39 PM   #12

The adjustment "sleeve" on your drag link (goes from pitman arm to knuckle) may not be tightened down and adjusting itself?? Just a thought.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 02:09 PM   #13

I'm going to crawl under it tomorrow and check things out visually.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
A little follow up on this.

I installed the Energy Suspension sway bar bushings like Railvan did and I'm surprised at the ride improvement. Of course the worn ones didn't actually affect the handling of the van, but the new tight poly bushings were the icing on the cake to make my suspension all feel well connected. A while ago I also replaced the rear spring bushings with Energy Suspension poly bushings and over the last year or two have modified / upgraded my bump stops (front and rear).
I think we are pretty close on how our van suspension is configured at this point. Compared to when I first bought the van in 2010 the handling is night and day difference. I to have been using the energy suspension sway bar bushings for a few years now with success. Not to try to spend your money but adding limit straps on the front has been another game changer in improving the ride. With so little suspension travel compared to an IFS light truck I didn't realize how often the "hit" of a bump was actually the axle bottoming out on the shocks after the bump. The straps have a little bit of stretch before stopping the axles downward movement. I now hit speed bumps way faster without clinching my teeth. I highly recommend limit straps of some kind, I got these from Busted Kuckle Offroad as they are pretty heavy duty for rock buggies. I need to get some on the rear now.

You can just see the Energy Suspension Bushings with lock collars in the photo.
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:50 AM   #15

Limit straps have been on my list for years but never have made it to the top. Your post may have brought that project back up the list. Looks like you welded a tab to the top of your spring plate?

Old 09-02-2022, 08:54 AM   #16

Mr. ShuttlePilot - Would you mind posting up of how you installed the rear limit straps although I think the front straps are a higher priority for me.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2022, 05:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
Looks like you welded a tab to the top of your spring plate?
Actually easier than that. On my axle SMB West welded a box shaped pad for the bump stop to land on. I just drilled the box and used a 1/2" grade 8 bolt. For the upper mount point, the old spring bucket had a 1/2" hole already there. I purchased limit straps 1/2-3/4" shorter than that distance at full droop per the websites instructions.

I haven't addressed the rears yet so can't offer you any joy there. Probably a project for next summer.

- Eric
Old 09-02-2022, 05:56 PM   #18

I pulled my front tires off today and came to the same installation conclusion (drilling the bump stop landing pads for the bottom) and drilling new holes in the spring buckets up top. I see the existing hole you used but not quite where I'd like it. I ordered up the straps and hopefully will get them in before my Baja trip in October.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
How do you use the sway bar disconnect with limiting strap? Do you still get the full down articulation?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:28 AM   #20

Hi Dave, hope you are doing well. The limit straps are independent of the sway bar so disconnecting the sway bar and articulation is the almost the same as without the straps. In my case downward movement would be about 1/2-3/4" inch less than if I disconnected the strap and let the axle hang on the shock instead. The strap length was selected a tad shorter as the strap is designed to stretch a small amount on droop to provide a cushion instead of the hard stop of the shock limit. This doesn't change the suspension behavior in any other way. Hope this helps.

- Eric