Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 08:05 PM   #1

SMB 4x4 E350 sway bar bushings

I need to replace the front sway bar bushings on my 2006 E350 SMB 4x4 converted van. The bar is a 1 3/8" bar.

I found these online:

https://www.amazon.com/Prothane-6-11...622840&sr=8-17

I see options for the bar size but no options for the mounting. Are all sway bar mounts the same size bracket?

Anything else I should be aware of when shopping for these?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railvan View Post
I need to replace the front sway bar bushings on my 2006 E350 SMB 4x4 converted van. The bar is a 1 3/8" bar.

I found these online:

https://www.amazon.com/Prothane-6-11...622840&sr=8-17

I see options for the bar size but no options for the mounting. Are all sway bar mounts the same size bracket?

Anything else I should be aware of when shopping for these?

Thanks!
Check against this:

Quote:
Product Dimensions ‎3 x 3.5 x 2.5 inches
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #3

Garage
I am not sure if your front sway bar is the stock swaybar or a Hellwig. I needed some replacement bushings for my Hellwig front swaybar and Hellwig sent them to me at no charge.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:01 PM   #4

I'm going to order these. The bolt holes will line up with the existing brackets. I was thinking just changing the bushings would be easy and save money but I don't see any bushings that fit so I'll just change the brackets too. Easy fix.
Attached Thumbnails
5173 a.jpg   5173 b.jpg  
Old 08-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #5

How did the Energy Suspension bushings work out for you? I guess it's time to replace mine since I have about ¼" of play of the sway bar inside of my bushings now.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:50 PM   #6

They worked great. They fit well and the banging caused by the gap around the bar and the very hard rubber of the old bushings is gone.

After this upgrade there was still a slight clunking that I could not figure out. I let my shop look at it and they found the lower shock mount was broken on one side and cracked on the other.

The front shocks mount to the bracket that is between the axle and the leaf springs, which is a custom part made by, or for, SMB when they did the 4x4 conversion.

Sixteen years ago when I bought my van the Badgertrek website was popular amongst SMB fans and Eric Badger had reported that this part broke on his van. I asked the guys at SMB about this and they replied that I didn't have to worry about this as Eric had really loaded his van up with a motorcycle on the back and was doing hardcore 4x4 trails with the van. They offered to give me the newer design of this bracket that had more reinforcing on the shock mount for no charge. This new design was being installed on the new vans and my van was one of the last built with the older design. So I took the parts and stored them in various garages and sheds for 16 years. When my shop told me that this was the part that broke, I was very excited to tell them "I HAVE THOSE PARTS!!!" Lol... I mean, it's a custom part that only can be had from SMB, or Fieldvan now, and I don't know if they even have this part in stock for a 2006 van or how much it would cost.

So if anyone suggests you clean out your garage or shed and get rid of all those old parts you have hanging around, don't do it! :^)
Old 08-18-2022, 11:05 PM   #7

Thanks, I'll order them for mine too as I have a similar banging (more of thumping) that I attribute to those worn bushings.

Quote:
they found the lower shock mount was broken on one side and cracked on the other.
I've already gone through this a couple times but think my modified SMB "fixed" brackets should be good for a long time now.

Thanks for all the info!

Old 08-30-2022, 05:00 PM   #8

A little follow up on this.

I installed the Energy Suspension sway bar bushings like Railvan did and I'm surprised at the ride improvement. Of course the worn ones didn't actually affect the handling of the van, but the new tight poly bushings were the icing on the cake to make my suspension all feel well connected. A while ago I also replaced the rear spring bushings with Energy Suspension poly bushings and over the last year or two have modified / upgraded my bump stops (front and rear).

Due to some car selling and buying I'm doing the van has been my daily driver for the last couple weeks and I'm amazed that it is probably driving nicer than it ever has in the last 16 years of ownership after these little upgrades. I hope I don't jinx it, but the entire drive train is probably doing the best it ever has. Just in time to head to Baja in October and let it stretch it's legs again.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:38 PM   #9

Glad to hear it helped out. Always nice when the rig is running smoothly.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:41 AM   #10

Garage
Plus 1, glad to hear as well.