Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #41

Re: SMB caught in mud slide

About the actual claim, my understanding is you don't have to accept what the insurance company says- I got seriously robbed when my first car got hit because the guy took advantage of my ignorance. Typically you can buy it back for 10% of the total. Just let them know you want to and they should work it into the estimate. Sometimes taking a check and finding your own shop can be beneficial. Or taking a check and driving around as-is.

Sportsmobile will help with valuation, so don't sign anything until you talk to them. Basically you don't have to do anything right away either, so make sure whatever the insurance company wants to do is what you want to do before you accept anything. They shouldn't be in a hurry, although these days I find the attitude is "we'll cut you a check for $X right now" and they're confused if you don't just take it on the spot, but you don't have to.

I know this is a little late, hopefully you will get it sorted to your advantage. Glad you're safe!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Most body shops will be able to transfer the body onto a donor chassis. But if the RV conversion added systems to the frame (like a Star-cool unit) then it can be tricker. Even most Ford dealers pull the bodies off routinely because its often the easiest access to a sick diesel motor.
I always thought it was strange that most dealers flat refuse to pull up an SMB conversion- as far as I can tell mine has almost nothing that would be any different from a regular van.

Also as an alternative, they can take the engine (diesel or otherwise) out through the front- they don't like to do this, but pulling the body is not the only way to do work, but it's the routine as carringb said.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
If my van is totaled my options are to
A) look for another similar van
B) buy a used van and have a new conversion built
Or
C) transfer the van to a new chassis??

This was mentioned a few times. Has anyone actually heard of this or even better had it done? I'm not even sure where to go to find someone to do this. I've briefly googled it with no leads and can't find any threads here with info on it. Is this an idea or somthing that someone specilizes in?
There are custom fabricators that can, and often will, do about anything you pay them to do. Sort of the opposite of dealers.

I don't know where you live, so can't make any recommendations. But a place to look is pirate4x4.com. If you're not familiar with it, it's the hangout of the more hardcore offroaders. If you post up in your region there's probably some person there who'd offer to mount your van on just about any chassis you want.

As an example, here's a thread about a van swap:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/763 ... oject.html

Good luck,
Rob
Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #44
Site Team

Lots of great people on Pirate, but lot's of juvenile, internet commando, wanna-be wheelers too. You might need a thick skin to deal with some of them (a minority, but a vocal minority).

I'd stick around here instead.

Herb
Old 08-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #45

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

There is something wrong with many of the folks over there - I think the take the Pirate boy thing too seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Lots of great people on Pirate, but lot's of juvenile, internet commando, wanna-be wheelers too. You might need a thick skin to deal with some of them (a minority, but a vocal minority).

I'd stick around here instead.

Herb

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #46

I'm based out of LA for all intents and purposes.... I'm there at around 4 days a month pretty consistently for work at least.

My insurance told me that they don't think the van is totaled (thank goodness!!) and are going for a second opinion. I'm hoping for the verdict early next week.

I've never been called sensitive but I'll still stick around here till I'm forced elsewhere for assistance.... Hoping that does not happen.

Thanks all!!
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #47

That is great news from your insurance company. Hope the second look goes as just as well.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn

I've never been called sensitive but I'll still stick around here till I'm forced elsewhere for assistance.... Hoping that does not happen.

Thanks all!!
I'm not sure what you mean? I might be reading too much into your words but seems like you've been getting some pretty good advice in this thread from the forum regulars.

Sorry about your rig. We've been getting our share of flooding and debris flows in Flagstaff as well. Tied for wettest July on record. http://www.flickr.com/photos/coconinonationalforest/
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #49

Ha! No, the sensitive comment was regarding the posting about needing a thick skin to deal with the pirate folk.... Everyone here has been amazing! Sorry for the miscommunication.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #50

After all this time I've finally been given the word that my van isn't totaled. They haven't started fixing anything but the 4x4 system has been dismantled, engine is out and dismantled, fuel tank is out, everything is being cleaned and they should have it back together, clean and ready to begin repairing in 2-3 weeks. Hopefully it will be back in my possession in the next month. Slummin it under the stars has been nice but I'm ready to have my home back.