Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
I
But maybe large-scale profits aren't the point, however? A "halo" vehicle like the Classic definitely sits at the top of the "adventure van heap"....generates awe and aspirational buzz....and ensures SMB brand-name supremacy/cache amongst its peers.
I suspect that this is a big part of it. There are so many outfits converting sprinters these days, and if/when #vanlife hits some sort of a recession it's going to be rough in that market space. Unique brand-identity goes a long way and None of the sprinters really have one, other than color schemes. OTOH 4x4 e-series pop-top is nearly as iconic as a Westfalia camper.

I also bet that they took their time because they were doing this as a spare-time project at relatively little cost to the rest of their production throughput. At least that's how I would look at it.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #62
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Mostly I'd be curious if there's anything in the Transit/Sprinter/Promaster vehicles they found lacking where this updated E-Series full body addresses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
For starters, they all lack a frame. And none of them can have a solid front axle stuffed underneath without making them non-FMVSS compliant because the stability control systems won't play with solid front axle geometries. And the Promaster can't be converted to 4WD at all. So with that frame, you also get 10,000 pounds of towing capacity, vs half that with the unibody vans.
Great points and I was too quick to hit Submit Reply. I sorta kinda knew the chassis options would be more suitable to the SMB-type. I love the increased cubic footage and relatively vertical side walls of the Transit/Sprinter/ProMasters but have never considered them contenders for my needs as that unit body is not to my liking.

Thanks for the slap back to reality CarringB!
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #63

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Well that's thinking outside the HOA huh?

I do wonder what prompted SMB to invest in this design and all that goes with bringing it to market---unless I've missed that here on in the links already shared.

Mostly I'd be curious if there's anything in the Transit/Sprinter/Promaster vehicles they found lacking where this updated E-Series full body addresses?
True massive solid axle four wheel drive and low range capability. Important to some people (like me). So glad I keep up my 'classic'.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #64
Site Team

Garage
Expedition Portal report on the SMB Classic.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #65

I saw on Instagram that unit #3 is out the door. That's about one per year, ha. Hope they get them rolling a little quicker now.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:17 AM   #66
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Another point to consider is that, given this extremely long seam (it actually goes all the way around), once you have figured out how to keep it watertight for a short period of time, how do you know it's going to remain watertight for a period of years.......other than just waiting a few years to find out?

The first prototype was prone to leaks. They rebonded it more than once. When it finally seemed not to be leaking any more, they could have gone into mass production. But how could they be sure the bond would last more than a year or two? If they had built a hundred or so, and then after three years had gone by they all started leaking, well that would have been not only a lot of repair cost to them, but also an immense hit to their reputation. So maybe they decided to keep taking that prototype up into the Sierra and Mojave for three or so years and see whether the seam remained dry after many miles of rough trails.

Just waiting to be sure it wouldn't leak any more was likely a safer bet than just jumping into production at the moment the leak problems first seemed to be solved.
Can't believe I missed this bit of info all those months ago, I have a bit more experience in lengthy bonded composite/fiberglass seams in large(r) heavy use vehicles, namely Freightliner big trucks.

Some models have a three piece upper cab which houses an integrated sleeper cabin, two seams running probably 18' or more total. Poor workmanship along with accumulated mileage tend to cause those seams to separate and leak, all too often the uninformed believing its the windshield(s) leaking.

If the leaks don't exist from the first time the truck joins a fleet then at about 500K miles the seams open which is the real cause of leaks. This is a factory-covered warranty issue, truck returned to a dealership and they effect repairs as their schedule allows----sometimes up to a full month.

The fix for those leaks is a sealant applied to the exterior visible part of the same, something high quality that bonds very, very well and remains flexible over the life of the truck.

Those seams are not mechanically fastened (riveted) before being adhered together. The stresses on those roofs is significant as there's little to no upper structure, they flex from being driven along with changes in the weather, often times the truck being in Texas or Florida one day, Minnesota two days later.

I don't think the longer seams per se are the issue rather its how they become structural elements perhaps wasn't anticipated during the Classic's design?

To me remove the structural stress and adhere/seal the seams too might be a good solution? Boat builders might have some input there?
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:46 PM   #67

Sportmobile West no longer a SMB franchisee

News broke to day that SMB West franchisee license with SMB has expired. They are no longer listed on the Sportsmobile website.

Was wondering what the impact will be on the SMB Classic line? Was this a project pushed by corporate or SMB West?
Old 09-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #68

Pretty sure this was a West project. I am wondering what it does to the other SMB locations also.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #69

I posted this in a different thread so sorry if its a duplicate. I got a call from SMBW yesterday telling me that because i was already had my order in for the smb classic 4x4 i would not be affected by this and that they were still on the same time line for delivery as when i placed my order in May (18 mo). I also got a follow up e-mail from Allen, with a copy of the Press release, reiterating that any orders placed up until now would be filled....
sconlin is offline   Reply With Quote