Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: SMB Ford E-350 Cut-away w/fiberglass body

dhally,

The sleeping cross-ways topic came up, and there were folks that thought they would be able to. ...but taller folks would still have an issue likely...

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Old Dog relearning Old tricks on exactly how to get photos uploaded... wheeeeww.

More photos os the Fiberglass prototype at the Overland Expo

Old 05-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #23
Site Team

So, side doors and rear doors. Factory Ford, or homegrown equivalent? Must be some serious bracing in there to support them.

Herb
Old 05-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #24

Wondering how this would fair in a rollover accident? Would think the body would collapse not giving any protection to any one in the rear seats. Would it be classified a seats 2 sleeps 4 setup?
Jaimes35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #25

I'm not an expert but the Roadtrek 210 is a fiberglass body and many of them are sold.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 AM   #26

Very cool pix of the proto-SMB! Thanks for posting!

I showed them to the better half...she didn't appreciate them as much as I did. Then she started talking about the EarthRoamer that we saw in Moab this winter.

Yike$$$....
Old 05-25-2014, 03:54 AM   #27
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

The expo looks like a great event, will have to make it to one some day, what a great sight to see all those rigs in one place!
Quote:"It looks like SMB is working to stay on or ahead of the curve as the changes flow their way"
Greg, not picking on you, and thanks for posting the pics, but I'm on the fence on this one and might agree with BrianW and 86Scotty, not sure I see any real improvements to the layout or design from what I see, or even if there needs to be, but SMB had a blank slate to design and build something new and innovative and they went and built an E-350 out of fiberglass, with what looks to be a slightly different mould for the pop top, but still does not utilize the area over the cab, are they still using the same lifting mechanism? That's an area that in my opinion needed some major improvements, especially now that I've swapped over to a CCV top. Any interior pics?
Factory5 makes cobra replicas out of fiberglass, they're still kind of cool....I guess.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
The expo looks like a great event, will have to make it to one some day, what a great sight to see all those rigs in one place!
Quote:"It looks like SMB is working to stay on or ahead of the curve as the changes flow their way"
Greg, not picking on you, and thanks for posting the pics, but I'm on the fence on this one and might agree with BrianW and 86Scotty, not sure I see any real improvements to the layout or design from what I see, or even if there needs to be, but SMB had a blank slate to design and build something new and innovative and they went and built an E-350 out of fiberglass, with what looks to be a slightly different mould for the pop top, but still does not utilize the area over the cab, are they still using the same lifting mechanism? That's an area that in my opinion needed some major improvements, especially now that I've swapped over to a CCV top. Any interior pics?
Factory5 makes cobra replicas out of fiberglass, they're still kind of cool....I guess.
Sportsmobile West's bread and butter is Ford conversion 4x4. Idoubt they would have done this if ford had not stopped making econoline. this is a way to continue-the ford e-350 cab/chassis will probably keep being made as many rv's use it.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #29

REF,

SMB has been doing this for more than 50 years. I think they have made all sorts of innovation along the way. Keeping an E-body-like vehicle allows them to continue to use the expertise that have built up and the solutions they have already developed. Remember, they have tried a Class C in the past. Remember, they have working on the Nissan van. Remember they have built on VW, Dodge, and Chevy chassis as well. Remember, they have solutions already for the Sprinter, and will have for the new Ford Transit. AND they are selling a whole new solution going a completely different direction. Also, they provide solutions that do use the space over the cab. So far, it seems that they will do just about anythgin that we ask them to do, constantly expanding the possibilities.

By keeping the E-body-like vehicle available, they can continue to provide what seem to be their most popular solution starting point.

...but it will be interesting to watch.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #30

While I definitely see what REF is saying, I agree with you too Greg. It's pretty important to remember how much time R&D they have in Ford vans, how popular they still are, and most importantly how much aftermarket support there is for them vs. everything else, still. I bet they agonized for awhile over finding the happy medium, because of course all of us would say ugly if they went for too much of a design change. Plus, how many more ways can you make a box pleasing to the eye? If Ford's smooth van design goes away, they have to do something, and no one would go for anything smaller, so that leaves you with no other options except making it closer to an ambulance or even bigger like a cab over C. I've never been to Sportsmobile, but I'm guessing all of the equipment and supply they have set up for Ford vans is just too much to throw out so soon. My biggest question is why they don't improve the pop top, though, as REF says. CCV has shown that you can get a bunch more room out of one that doesn't look all that different, utilizing space over the front seats and offering a real queen size bed. I'm sure most would cite simplicity as the reason they haven't changed, but come on, everyone wants more space.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote