Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #51

Re: SMB Ford E-350 Cut-away w/fiberglass body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Also, it looks like Aluminess is finally updating their rear bumper to incorporate LED brake and backup lights.
I had them add some holes in mine for standard 4" round truck lights... The bumper angles down a little more than I might like where I have the LEDs, but it's better than nothing.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
I had them add some holes in mine for standard 4" round truck lights... The bumper angles down a little more than I might like where I have the LEDs, but it's better than nothing.
The angle could easily be fixed with some light buckets like they put on the front bumpers.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
.....cut.....

Maybe Ford will try putting a new cab on the F53/59 chassis? The bottom end of the F59 already overlaps the E450 stripped chassis. Even if they do, I think that would be several years out still, so SMB has some time to make back their investment before needing new molds.

.....cut.....
Didn't GM do something similar with a previous generation van? Can't recall details but it seems they used a tilt-forward front hood and partial fenders to accommodate the larger engines and power demand. Will look it up out of curiosity when I have time.

Regarding all your other points I get what you say but don't see it making much business sense for such a short period. Not unless the volume is huge -- and it won't be. It's not that high with current model.

Doesn't RoadTrek make a fiberglass body for GM van that is very similar in concept (except for 4WD)? The idea was to make a larger and wider van. And from what I can tell the volume didn't materialize to the level they suggested in early advertising. Large Sprinters took care of that.

Assuming 2019 is correct, and that it takes a while to go from prototype to production, and that many buyers won't buy at end of life cycle, I just don't see them making much money from this venture. I own and like an Econoline just fine for what it is, but business is business and wouldn't invest in this fiberglass project. Too much risk for limited upside.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Quote:
.....cut.....

Maybe Ford will try putting a new cab on the F53/59 chassis? The bottom end of the F59 already overlaps the E450 stripped chassis. Even if they do, I think that would be several years out still, so SMB has some time to make back their investment before needing new molds.

.....cut.....
Didn't GM do something similar with a previous generation van? Can't recall details but it seems they used a tilt-forward front hood and partial fenders to accommodate the larger engines and power demand. Will look it up out of curiosity when I have time.

Regarding all your other points I get what you say but don't see it making much business sense for such a short period. Not unless the volume is huge -- and it won't be. It's not that high with current model.

Doesn't RoadTrek make a fiberglass body for GM van that is very similar in concept (except for 4WD)? The idea was to make a larger and wider van. And from what I can tell the volume didn't materialize to the level they suggested in early advertising. Large Sprinters took care of that.

Assuming 2019 is correct, and that it takes a while to go from prototype to production, and that many buyers won't buy at end of life cycle, I just don't see them making much money from this venture. I own and like an Econoline just fine for what it is, but business is business and wouldn't invest in this fiberglass project. Too much risk for limited upside.
roadtrek 210 is the model you talking about . it's still being made
Old 05-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #55

Yes, that's the Roadtrek model I was thinking about. Not an extremely high volume item as far as I know.

Regarding Ford options to mount a Transit cab on a heavier-duty chassis, the Chevrolet van I was thinking about was from the mid 90s. And if I recall correctly the base van was semi-unitized also like the Transit.

As I recall the nose was fiberglass and tilted forward for engine access much like some larger trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #56

Quote:

Regarding Ford options to mount a Transit cab on a heavier-duty chassis, the Chevrolet van I was thinking about was from the mid 90s. And if I recall correctly the base van was semi-unitized also like the Transit.

As I recall the nose was fiberglass and tilted forward for engine access much like some larger trucks.
Yup. They took the cab from the Unibody G-series, bolted it to the P30 stripped chassis, and added a fiberglass hood. It was not a success, mostly because the P30 had TERRIBLE driving dynamics. It had about as much steering precision as a rudderless sailboat, and a ride that was floaty and harsh at the same time. And the interior was leftover from the 80's.

The newer TopKick 4500/5500 followed nearly the same formula, sticking the Express cab on a MDT chassis with a tilt hood. It had many of the same flaws (to a lesser extent), however it did sell well with a much lower price point than the E550. But GM lost $10,000 on every one sold, so shuttering the line was required as part of the restructuring.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #57

Quote:
Quote:

Yup. They took the cab from the Unibody G-series, bolted it to the P30 stripped chassis, and added a fiberglass hood. It was not a success, mostly because the P30 had TERRIBLE driving dynamics. It had about as much steering precision as a rudderless sailboat, and a ride that was floaty and harsh at the same time. And the interior was leftover from the 80's.

The newer TopKick 4500/5500 followed nearly the same formula, sticking the Express cab on a MDT chassis with a tilt hood. It had many of the same flaws (to a lesser extent), however it did sell well with a much lower price point than the E550. But GM lost $10,000 on every one sold, so shuttering the line was required as part of the restructuring.
I think it's highly likely a T-450 or T-550 cab or cutaway chassis will have to follow same formula, just starting with superior equipment. That it didn't work well for GM doesn't preclude a Ford success in my opinion. A 4X4 version may even be possible if based on F-series chassis.

Back on topic -- I'd rather see someone adapt a Transit body shell on top of a modified F-350 4X4 chassis (or similar) than make a fiberglass cutaway body. It would no doubt cost more but it would be worth it if off-roading was what I was looking for.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #58

Anyone have any updates on the cutaway sportsmobile, or the transit?
theblackdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #59

http://blog.caranddriver.com/full-size- ... and-t-550/
jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #60

they just keep getting uglier
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote