Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #71
Site Team

Re: SMB Ford E-350 Cut-away w/fiberglass body

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKCSUN
...That's not a knock on SMB mind you, just a reality of owning the Powersh%* diesel.
Unfortunately, I think it's more about owning any modern diesel, especially as truck makers struggle to adopt constantly changing pollution laws. I think there's a distinct trend of engine issues every time a new pollution standard comes out and the truck makers slap some new piece of relatively untested gear (CCV, EGR, DEF,...) onto reliable engines.

You want to maximum reliability, you need to find a older non-electronic Dodge inline 6 engine. That comes with its own compromise too.

Herb

Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

Unfortunately, I think it's more about owning any modern diesel, especially as truck makers struggle to adopt constantly changing pollution laws.
X2 - We had to basically scrap one of our '08 Ram 4500s because at 80,000 miles it needed $15,000 in repairs, possibly more if they found more problems when they tore into it. All because the DPF fouled up, probably from a bad injector. It got replaced with a brand new 2015 Ram 5500, and on its 3rd day in service it's PCM took a dump, in traffic, and had to be towed by one of the old trucks.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #73

Ah, my lovely old 460. Just sell me gas that's at least, say, 50 octane, and I can go forever. [emoji3]
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKCSUN
...That's not a knock on SMB mind you, just a reality of owning the Powersh%* diesel.
Unfortunately, I think it's more about owning any modern diesel, especially as truck makers struggle to adopt constantly changing pollution laws. I think there's a distinct trend of engine issues every time a new pollution standard comes out and the truck makers slap some new piece of relatively untested gear (CCV, EGR, DEF,...) onto reliable engines.

You want to maximum reliability, you need to find a older non-electronic Dodge inline 6 engine. That comes with its own compromise too.

Herb
Yeah, perhaps. But I think the compromise is more around moving to a truly commercial motor (aka FUSO, Mitsubishi, etc) vs a consumer-grade platform. I may be grossly overstating it but I hear you, its getting harder to have a motor suitable for our purposes.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #75

Just took a look at it here at Expo and they have finished it out nicely. Looks like a 5o layout.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #76

Revival post!!!

Does anyone know if they still make these anymore since SMB West is doing it’s own thing now? It would be awesome to be able to buy just the fiberglass shell.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane View Post
Revival post!!!

Does anyone know if they still make these anymore since SMB West is doing it’s own thing now? It would be awesome to be able to buy just the fiberglass shell.
I have a friend taking delivery of one very soon under SMB West brand and understand the e350 Cutaway will be one of the platforms used for the new Field Vans. I understand the Feld family owns the facility and the patent for the fiberglass body. That said, I have no details of what will change and what will remain similar.
VanHallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #78

I wonder why SMB still lists the Classic on their site if SMB West owns the patent? SMB removing SMB West from their site but not the Classic seems strange if they didn't plan on continuing to sell the Classic, does it not? If SMB was not going to continue making the Classic, wouldn't SMB remove it as an orderable option? From my perspective it seems that if you can call the remaining SMB locations(Indiana and Texas) and order a Classic today then it is SMB that will be continuing to make the Classic, not SMB West or Fieldvan, no? This is all speculation on my part, but but just thought I would toss a few questions I hadn't seen discussed here I don't think.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
if you can call the remaining SMB locations(Indiana and Texas) and order a Classic today then it is SMB that will be continuing to make the Classic, not SMB West or Fieldvan ...
There has been a Sportsmobile Southwest Inc in Phoenix listed for a while on the Contract page.

Patents are often licensed.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
I wonder why SMB still lists the Classic on their site if SMB West owns the patent? SMB removing SMB West from their site but not the Classic seems strange if they didn't plan on continuing to sell the Classic, does it not? If SMB was not going to continue making the Classic, wouldn't SMB remove it as an orderable option? From my perspective it seems that if you can call the remaining SMB locations(Indiana and Texas) and order a Classic today then it is SMB that will be continuing to make the Classic, not SMB West or Fieldvan, no? This is all speculation on my part, but but just thought I would toss a few questions I hadn't seen discussed here I don't think.
I certainly don't know the details of what Field Van will offer but it's possible they'll offer a variation of what we know as the Classic going forward. It would make sense that Sportsmobile would continue making it and Field Van would make something like it two. I'm certainly not privy to any sort of licensing arrangements that have been made along the way. We'll definitely know more in a couple of months when Field Van comes online. I'm sure Ford's chip issues will only complicate matters when it comes to e350 sourcing as well.
VanHallen is offline   Reply With Quote